Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Furnace Wiring for '77 Sovereign

I'm a newbie, so please be gentle! I have a '77 31' rear bath Soverign model. I am replacing the furnace...the furnace in the trailer was a Suburban NT 30SP and I am upgrading to a NT 34SP. Everything fit fine in the exchange. The original furnace drew 5.5 amps and the new one draws 7.5 amps. Will the addition 2 amps be a problem?

The next question is: The instructions from Suburban say to use 14 ga. wire to connect the furnace. The existing wire does not look like 14 ga. I am willing to replace this wire, but it is difficult becase the Owner's Manual includes a schematic of all the wiring except the 12 volt runs. I have found which fuse it is connected to at the panel (pink wire) - but I have no idea where this pink wire connects to the yellow wire that is at the furnace. The schematic of the fuse panel in the manual indicates some sort of a connetion/distribution block for the 12v, but I have no idea where this is located. Any help with the location? Should I bypass it entirely, abandon the yellow wire and run new wire directly to the fuse panel?

Also, does anyone have a wiring schematic for this trailer?

Thanks very much!!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I have the wiring diagram, I can send it next week-I'm on the road.

You have 4 wires, 2 are thermostat-the other two are your blower.

You can just try it It should work either way you cross them.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Wow..what a quick response!! Thanks and special thanks for the offer on the wiring diagram.

The furnace connection from the trailer has two blue wires (thermostat), a yellow wire that connects to the red wire of the furnace and an orange wire that connects to the green wire (I think) of the furnace.

The yellow wire is the hot wire connected to the fuse panel...however, it is not directly connected because the wire coming from the fuse panel is pink and much heavier gauge. There must be some sort of block where all of these low voltage ciruits are connected. It seems to indicate it in the schematic on page 86 of my owners manual. It is noted as "Circuits for 12 volt DC components" and is shown just above and to the left of the fused "12 volt distribution panel" on the schematic. Maybe this block it is located behind the control panel above the stove? In the ceiling? In the wall next to the fused panel? Also, I have no idea what fuse controls what items in trailer...hopefully your schematic will help.
Thanks again for your help!!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Furnace Wiring

I have red & yellow for the hot & return, I also have a different model AS. My yellow is direct tied to the yellow 12v circuit and to the fuse panel, so it is a branch of the main yellow 12 v circuit. My red is to the furnace control & the blue+blue is a thermostat control wire.

Just take your time. If you want to test your burner just hold the two blue wires together and you should get a flame (assuming direct ignition and that the gas is on).

Check for gas leaks with soapy water before attempting to check. I hope the photo posted but this is an NT 20 that I substituted for an older (and larger) NT 24. If the phot posts you will see the wires to the furnace going through the partition.

As has been said it is pretty straight forward. I do recomend getting a service manual. I find mine very valuable and correct about 95% of the time. The only reason it is not always correct is that I have a somewhat different model fromt he standard for the year and type I have.

Good luck...it is fun hobby, provides beer time while you ponder your next move and a chnce to be a little creative if you so desire.

Oh great I just put a macanudo out in my beer- unintentionally! Well not everything goes perfectly! but the furnace is easy........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	31006  
Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Smokin....thanks for the response. I heard back from AS today...this pink circuit has a bunch of stuff on it...furnace, water pump, control panel, stove fan, overhead light, etc, motorized roof vent, etc. I suspect the pink wire from the fuse goes to the control panel and then distributed from there...trailer is at property 70 miles away - I will check this weekend. I have ordered the manual - it should really help.

Of course there is always a twist in these deals...the manual for the new furnace says to install 14 gauge wire. This means a bit of rewiring as the trailer wiring is 18 ga. I had to get a new wiring harness from Suburban (mine was missing) and it arrived today - it's 18 ga.!! I verified that I got the right part number and the right part was delivered. God, I wished one of these jobs would go without a hitch. I've got an email into Suburban to find out what is going on. Seems like 18 gauge wire ought to handle 7.5 amp load from furnace.

Thanks again for your response and suggestions!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Smokin....sorry to hear about your cigar and beer...what a waste of both!!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmheinz
I'm a newbie, so please be gentle! I have a '77 31' rear bath Soverign model. I am replacing the furnace...the furnace in the trailer was a Suburban NT 30SP and I am upgrading to a NT 34SP. Everything fit fine in the exchange. The original furnace drew 5.5 amps and the new one draws 7.5 amps. Will the addition 2 amps be a problem?

The next question is: The instructions from Suburban say to use 14 ga. wire to connect the furnace. The existing wire does not look like 14 ga. I am willing to replace this wire, but it is difficult becase the Owner's Manual includes a schematic of all the wiring except the 12 volt runs. I have found which fuse it is connected to at the panel (pink wire) - but I have no idea where this pink wire connects to the yellow wire that is at the furnace. The schematic of the fuse panel in the manual indicates some sort of a connetion/distribution block for the 12v, but I have no idea where this is located. Any help with the location? Should I bypass it entirely, abandon the yellow wire and run new wire directly to the fuse panel?

Also, does anyone have a wiring schematic for this trailer?

Thanks very much!!
I'm looking at my diagram now and see a disconnect block (was located under the galley sink near the floor in my '77 Escella 500 31') and it shows wires colored T.H. Blue, Yellow, Red and another T.H. Blue. It looks like the T.H. Blue and Red come together and connect to the Red wire which goes to a thermostat relay and then on to the fan switch and 12 v. motor. It is labeled + so I guess it is the hot. Yellow goes to another yellow wire on the other side of the disconnect and then to the thermostat relay where it branches out to a brown wire going to the sail switch, a yellow wire going to the module board and a brown wire which goes to the gas valve. This brown wire then goes to the module board but also has a black wire leaving the gas valve going to the 12 v. motor. The third wire, T.H. Blue connects to the disconnect block and is blue on the other side. This blue wire goes to the thermostat relay and is on the other side of a squiggly line (resister, capacitor? heck I forget what it is) and on the other side is the yellow wire previously mentioned. This is for the NT24M & NT30M. Below is a picture if it comes out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SuburbanNT30Nfurnacediagram 001.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	31017   Click image for larger version

Name:	SuburbanNT30Nfurnacediagram 002.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	31018  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Thanks Craig...This wiring diagram is the same one that I have from Suburban...the 18 ga. wire harness I mention above is the 4 wire connection at the lower left part of the pictures. The question I have is the wire run from this point to the main fuse block at the front of the trailer - the red wire in the diagram is connected to the "hot wire" under the sink and fuse with pink wire at the front of the tailer (the wire lead under the sink is actually yellow - but somehow connected to that pink wire circuit). The wire under the sink that is connected to the yellow wire in the diagram appears to go inside the duct work headed toward the back of the trailer?? I have no idea where this wire is headed... It seems like one of these would be the negative or ground.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Craig...the two other blue wires are connected to the thermastat - no problems there...the existing blue wires are there as well.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I wish I could be of more help. The trailer is in Germany now with a new owner. I think JimGolden owns a '77 or '78 Excella 500. You might send him a PM and see if he can help.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Craig...thanks for your help! Wish I was with your trailer!!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Sympathy appreciated

Sounds like you are well on your way with the furnace. Thank you for your sympathy for the cigar & beer. I am going to treat myself to anothr macanudo this weekend!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Issaquah , Washington
Thanks again everyone...turns out that Suburban gave me the wrong part number for the wire harness, but responded by sending out the correct part on Monday. Also, I received a phone call from AS technical help..appear that in most instances, the main circuit wire goes down the middle of the ceiling and each each fixture/equipment connection has it's own wire that comes down from the ceiling...so even though the water pump is adjacent to the furnace and on the same circuit, the tech believe I will find they have separate wires headed to the ceiling. Also, after looking up several charts on the net, that I am right on the edge of wire size/lenght of run for 7.5 amps on 18 gauge wire. I am going to replace or bypass the existing wire and install new 14 gauge. I am very close to capacity on this fuse as well...once I get the wiring diagram and can deteremine the loads on each of the 12v circuits, I will run a new wire to the circuit with the least load.

Smokin'...shed a tear for me as well..a week ago I was sitting on the beach of Kino Bay, Mexico on the eastern shore of the Sea of Cortez, watching the sun set over Baja, drinkin' Don Julio tequilla and smokin' Bolivar Habanos ....seems like a lifetime away already!!

Thanks again for all of your help!!