Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Frustrating lack of information on equipment used in new AS

Tomorrow we take delivery of our new Airstream International 16 ! As I sit here waiting for the next 30 hours to count down (remember waiting for Santa when you where a kid?), I am trying to "familiarize" myself with the systems of the little trailer.

I have downloaded the owners manual and read it 3 or 4 times, I am studying the pictures that we took of the trailer and those found on the dealers website. I have at least glanced at every post found on this site when I searched for "16' Airstream" and I am having a blast!

What I do find frustrating is the sort of general lack of specific system information anywhere. What I am trying to find is a list of the various model numbers used in the systems on our trailer. For example I have scanned the thread on factory installed solar panel/controller in the forums but I still can't figure out exactly what parts are used in the system. Just where is the controller panel on a 16? I'd like to read the manufacturers manuals just so I am familiar with the system. Same with the heating system, A/C and in fact most systems. By searching the forums I have pieced much of this all together but I find it a little interesting that there is no list anywhere that I can find. I remember when we purchased our sailboat the manufacturer had detailed lists of equipment options and model numbers available so it was easy to figure out in advance exactly what we where buying.

I think I will make a summary of the systems once we get the trailer and post it somewhere here as a reference for future "systems aware" people like myself.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how to ease the anticipation I am suffering through?
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's not much better on the dealer end, either. I find out about any changes to the trailers when I do the PDI's on them.
When you get the trailer, much of the info you want will be in the bag with all the manuals, the owner's manual will only tell you about the trailer itself, and you will need to reference the owner's manuals for each appliance.

This gives me the idea to have the people in the parts department scan all the manuals, and put them on our website in pdf format. It should help to have all the stuff in one spot.

And no, I don't know what model solar controller you have, I only find out when we get an Airstream in with that item.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
You get a big giant binder with every manual for every major appliance/system and it looks like the picture. Make sure to check to see you have everything, manuals remotes (tv) awning bar oven rack etc. sometimes things are misplaced before delivery. Good luck and make sure they spend some time explaining how things work and showing you where everything is.

Congrats!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3974845900.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	153062  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Methylphenidate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #5

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris
Hey now! I resemble that remark, maybe I should call my Dr.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Terry,
You have confirmed my suspicions. How about at least a list of the various models of equipment found in various trailers? You can typically find manuals online once you know what you are looking for....and once you have the Airstream in your possession you know exactly what you need.

When we where looking at the various Airstreams I asked our salesman to list the differences in the Sport and the International. He informed me that there where more than 100 and that the list varied constantly (he then went into a long description from memory. Pretty impressive!).

I would love to have a "picture" of some of the changes being made in terms of equipment.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I think I'll just work on a few projects around the house today, get the truck ready for it's introduction to it's new partner and maybe have a glass of wine or two later. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! ......... Then again maybe the Methylphenidate isn't such a bad idea!
Bruce
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
stop worrying, Colonial will present you with a stack of owner's manuals for almost everything. there were one or two common items easily provided by them or online.

the items that i had to spend a lot of time with was the thermostat and the stereo. i had a similar trailer before so the transition was a bit easier. if you have an oven ask them to show you how to light it because a contortionist designed it!

rest up for the overnight in your trailer because you'll be busy! stay a second night if they have room if you need it.

if you need more help they've answered questions by internet or phone for me. btw, thanks terry for the additional help :-)

take notes and bring a tape recorder or video camera if you think you need it. Colonial also has made some videos that are on youtube.

you're not alone :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Are you prescribing this for the management of aluminitis, or anxiety? (Everyone on this forum knows the former is incurable.)

If anxiety, I remember reading a double-blind study somewhere that discovered that alcohol compared most favorably with most anti-anxiety medications. And it's available without prescription!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
overlander63 and richinny have given great advice. We could give you make and model of furnace, HW heater, A/C, fridge, etc for other late models. What Terry said is that the installed components may be somewhat different, completely messing up any online manual searching you might do. And then the number of the brochures you will receive would make this a big task.

Will you do a night of camping in the vicinity of the dealership so you can go back the next morning if you have any questions?

Until then I guess you could work on if you like this look 
Name:   Smily orig.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  1.2 KB
or this 
Name:   smily back.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  1.2 KB
. Congratulations!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Are you prescribing this for the management of aluminitis, or anxiety? (Everyone on this forum knows the former is incurable.)

If anxiety, I remember reading a double-blind study somewhere that discovered that alcohol compared most favorably with most anti-anxiety medications. And it's available without prescription!
Anxiety definitely, like everyone I am fully aware there is no cure for aluminitus only management of the symptoms. That is to say the disease can be managed with the purchase of more Airstreams, something that I have a never ending prescription to. 5 at home now and still looking for more really rare or unique ones to add to the harem.
The good thing about Rittalin is that it doesn't show up on a breathalizer.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
At least you've seen the owner's manual online. When we bought ours, we didn't even have that.

The Forum had educated us fairly well, and I made a long, long list of questions for the walk through. We had 2 hours, but I wasn't finished with the list and requested more time with the walk-thru-guy and got it. Some people videotape the walk thru to preserve the information. A good idea because no one can remember everything they are told.

There's nothing like camping in it to get to understand it. There's a fairly steep learning curve, especially if you haven't towed anything before. But most everyone figures it out over time and you'll be learning for all the time you own it. Anxiety is fairly normal when waiting for a new toy.

Having read through the manual a couple of times and checked through things here, you are probably better prepared than most. Maybe it is time to start chugging on the wine bottle and relax. Think about the wonderful times camping you will have and you'll feel better tomorrow (after the hangover wears off).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Congrats, Rifboy, for your decision to go with Airstream, and for your astute observation that a "frustrating lack of information" exists here in the RV world. Your diligence will serve you well.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations on your new AS!!!! Post lots of photos, please!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
I just picked up a used 16 Bambi in Portsmouth, RI. You can study all the systems at your leisure when you get it home. Any questions you have can usually be found here on this forum.

Get a Sewer Solution system with an extra 10 feet of hose, right away. Don't even use the nasty slinky system that comes with the unit. The most complicated system on your AS is going to be the entertainment system, IMO. You can find a great video on Utube that will explain how it works. The guy that I bought my Bambi from did not even know how to work it after buying new at Colonial and using it for three years. You can see the Sewer Solution in action with videos on their site as well.

Good luck and enjoy.

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...leeping-21.jpg
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
The most complicated system on your AS is going to be the entertainment system, IMO. You can find a great video on Utube that will explain how it works.
Thanks for pointing out an advantage of our vintage Airstreams that never occurred to me before!

No
built-in entertainment system to have to figure out!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #17

Olathe , Kansas
He's a book for ya.

http://www.amazon.com/Newbies-Guide-.../dp/B004SUOZCC

Have fun and take lots of pictures!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you may not need to buy the book. i believe Colonial includes them in your owner manual collection :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
17 hours and counting to "Orientation"!!!
Cant wait!!!!!
Bruce
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #20

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifboy
17 hours and counting to "Orientation"!!!
Cant wait!!!!!
Bruce
We're excited for you! It's going to be so much fun!