Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Midlothian , Texas
Front shore power connection

When shore power is plugged into the front receptacle, there is no alternating current power inside. When shore power is plugged into the rear receptacle, everything works fine? No breakers are flipped in either case. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
Possible the front connection is for a generator and there is a transfer switch buried somewhere?

Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Bad transfer switch.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
From what I understand, the AS original transfer switch is a very bad one, and fails often. I am sure it is your problem. <2 years old? Factory warrantee issue.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

Midlothian , Texas
Thanks much for the replies.

If it were the transfer switch wouldn't it have rendered both shore power connect points ineffective? The rear connection was still working fine.

I pulled the front receptacle, disconnected wiring, checked for any heating or shorting. Nothing. Put it back together and voila, power.

I am not totally convinced that it was a loose wire yet. Will see if there is a recurrence of the issue.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveark View Post
Thanks much for the replies.

If it were the transfer switch wouldn't it have rendered both shore power connect points ineffective? The rear connection was still working fine.

I pulled the front receptacle, disconnected wiring, checked for any heating or shorting. Nothing. Put it back together and voila, power.

I am not totally convinced that it was a loose wire yet. Will see if there is a recurrence of the issue.
The transfer switch is basically a relay with a time delay system on most of them. When power is applied to the alternative input (front in this case) the time delay senses power, and in about 30 seconds the relay is activated to switch the input from the rear to the front source.

If the delay does not work, no switching occurs but the back input still works. If the relay does not work, same thing, it stays connected to the rear input.

So, no idea why yours is now working, but lets hope it remains that way. i don't have the system on my trailer, but understand the quality of the transfer switch system AS uses is less than great.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
You haven't mentioned year and model of your trailer, but in mine the transfer switch is attached to the back of the Parallax power center. Mine doesn't have a time delay, it's just a relay. My guess is yours has failed. If you need to replace it, this one is supposed to be better.

PD 5100 30 Amp Transfer Relay

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have the same trailer as daveswenson....and because the trailer came with the cheap Chinese model, I opted to replace it with the PD5100 BEFORE it failed. A very easy install. (BTW, my A/S dealer was wondering when I would be bringing my trailer in for a replacement to the original!)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #9

Midlothian , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
You haven't mentioned year and model of your trailer, but in mine the transfer switch is attached to the back of the Parallax power center. Mine doesn't have a time delay, it's just a relay. My guess is yours has failed. If you need to replace it, this one is supposed to be better.

PD 5100 30 Amp Transfer Relay
Our 30' Classic was manufactured September 2011.

Makes total sense. If it hasn't failed, it seems to be wonky with future failure a possibility. Will locate it and order a better quality replacement.