Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
One last consideration before you buy a dorm fridge. It will likely hurt your resale. LP fridges are spendy, but the next person you sell to might like to dry camp. I turned down a couple of units when I was shopping because they had pulled the LP fridge out and put in a 110V only fridge.

If you're going to keep it forever and don't care, then do whatever works for your family
Those numbers do balance out in the end. I'm looking for a very particular plan, vintage, and I find it's pretty common for them to have been swapped to the cheap dorm fridge. My approach is to get some money knocked off the asking price, unless they've started at a realistic asking price. (One I looked at was probably 80% higher than a realistic price, had a dorm fridge and some hokey jury-rigging with the umbilical/brakes/running lights. Even pointing this out to the seller elicited no more than a 2% reduction. He apparently is still trying to sell it.)

My point is, if you're never going to use it for traveling, you'll save about $1k going with the dorm fridge, but expect to lose that $1k on resale unless you find one of Mr. Barnum's favorite people as a buyer.

Oh, and do *NOT* remove/destroy the venting system for the RV fridge. That would be a deal-killer, you'd have to find someone who's either totally green or is OK with keeping the dorm fridge forever.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I know this is a bit off topic. I am having issues with cooling while traveling. We bring the AS home and turn everything on. Fridge is cooling just fine. We get to our destination and the fridge has stopped working, and things are thawing in the freezer. What am I doing wrong??

Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I know this is a bit off topic. I am having issues with cooling while traveling. We bring the AS home and turn everything on. Fridge is cooling just fine. We get to our destination and the fridge has stopped working, and things are thawing in the freezer. What am I doing wrong??
Could be, from my experience, is that when it's on your driveway, and even while traveling, it's level. Leveling while camping is apparently VERY important to the original equipment refrigerators. I had a lot of problems with this until I took very careful measurements to ensure that the trailer was perfectly level. Once I got it perfectly level, the fridge worked.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Tips to prevent refrigerator burner from blowing out on the road

Ronman,

Your propane burner may be blowing out while on the road. A couple of years ago, Dometic had a factory recall to install a protective shield near the burner area. However, I installed an air conditioner filter in the lower refrigerator vent door, to protect the flame from blowing out. Basically, the filter is just centered over the opening; then, the door is shut on it to hold it in place. I have since installed two of the retainer springs from a discarded Camco step rug, strung in an X-pattern between the metal louvers, to hold the filter against the inside of the lower refrigerator vent door.

Air conditioning filter: Duck Foam Air Conditioner Filter: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com

==========

Additional refrigerator tips:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ml#post1471925

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1329135
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
JHENSCHEN, I try to keep it level in the driveway and have no problems. It's just travelling to the destination when things get sideways. Phoenix, Good tip. I will look into all of the above!
LOVE FORUMS! You guys and gals are so smart out there!