Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Flooded battery recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for 12 volt flooded deep cycle batteries. Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I buy either Interstate or Walmart. Awful easy to slip into the Walmart parking lot and exchange batteries when on the road. Both seem to work fairly well. You do have to be sure to get the deeo cycle.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you like to replace batteries often, go cheap. If you want a quality battery that's well made…….Trojan.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have had good service with two Costco 6 volt golf cart batteries in series, but your rigs may or may not accommodate them. Sam's club golf cart batteries are about the same in my opinion.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I love Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries but the price in my area has gone so high (about $160 each) that the $85 Costco's seem to be a better deal overall. They may not last quite as long, but they are slightly more than half the price. My oldest Costco's are only 5 seasons old now, and are still very strong. My Trojans gave me 10 years of service in the same rig. So, ask again in 5 years!
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
My Costco Interstates were garbage and didn't even last us 7 months on the road. I'd avoid them.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

“If your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.”
RLC

I've had a 6v Deka battery,(cheep), in our 53 Victoria for years....relevance, none whatsoever.

Bob
Old 12-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Bold Adventure/ Thanks for the lithium update. This trailer will be mostly used in areas with full hookups. Occasionally for a boondocking weekend. Rarely for a more extended period. The Excella has 2 series 27 enclosed battery cases. For now I think I am going with just replacing the 2 series 27 batteries with flooded batteries.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Buy cheap from a national chain -- Autozone, Wally, O'Reilly. If one fails on the road, you want a replacement nearby. If you were going to boondocks a lot, well that would be a different story.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I've switched to Rolls batteries. Looks like I'll be stuck with them for the next 20 years or so.....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I've switched to Rolls batteries. Looks like I'll be stuck with them for the next 20 years or so.....
About how much for a pair of series 27?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Just make sure you are getting Marine/RV deep cycle flooded group 27's.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
You need to have a good charger. Rule of thumb, if the charger has temperature compensation (which means a probe that measure the battery temperature) you might have a good charger to keep your batteries in top condition.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am not looking for charger or converter recommendations. just batteries, thanks
Old 12-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Trojan or Full River.

Interstates are crap.

Personal recommendation: Trojan 31XHS

I know you have a different model AS but here is a pic anyhow
Old 12-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, after the original Interstates, I have bought all of my batteries from Costco. No need for expensive batteries for an occasional one, two, or three days without hook-ups.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
There is a ton of expert advice on the web. Below are some links I've been studying as I plan an upgrade to my oem Interstate type 24s to allow some short term dry camping.

Get a true deep cycle not a hybrid deep cycle / starting battery. Deep cycles are spec'd in Ah not cold cranking amps. I believe Interstate is a hybrid. True deep cycle batteries have thicker plates than a car type starting battery and thus have better life since a deep cycle is made to be repeatedly discharged and recharged.

Most respected brands seem to be Trojan and Lifeline. I've also noticed US Battery has some good choices. Flooded is cheaper but can only be discharged to about 50% without sacrificing life. AGM can be discharged to about 80% without killing the life but costs much more, about 2x.

Deep Cycle Battery Information and FAQ

Deep Cycle Batteries Guide : Energy Storage - Energy Matters

BatteryStuff Knowledge Base | Tutorials
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
There is a ton of expert advice on the web. Below are some links I've been studying as I plan an upgrade to my oem Interstate type 24s to allow some short term dry camping.

Get a true deep cycle not a hybrid deep cycle / starting battery. Deep cycles are spec'd in Ah not cold cranking amps. I believe Interstate is a hybrid. True deep cycle batteries have thicker plates than a car type starting battery and thus have better life since a deep cycle is made to be repeatedly discharged and recharged.

Most respected brands seem to be Trojan and Lifeline. I've also noticed US Battery has some good choices. Flooded is cheaper but can only be discharged to about 50% without sacrificing life. AGM can be discharged to about 80% without killing the life but costs much more, about 2x.

Deep Cycle Battery Information and FAQ

Deep Cycle Batteries Guide : Energy Storage - Energy Matters

BatteryStuff Knowledge Base | Tutorials
Don't know if the links you provided have this information, but if you discharge a Lifeline AGM repeatedly to 80% you will kill it in short order. They, along with flooded cells, should be kept to the 50% discharge regimen for maximum life. If you're looking for repeated draw capacity to 80% you need to be in the lithium arena.

If you look at the Lifeline tech documents, you will find a graph of cell life (# of charge cycles) vs. depth of discharge. The sweet spot is at 50% DoD however, the less you draw your batteries, the higher number of charge cycles (and longer life) you get.

The MOST important thing regarding lead based battery systems is to fully re-charge them to 100% after use to prevent sulfation, which is the leading cause of premature battery failure.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Don't know if the links you provided have this information, but if you discharge a Lifeline AGM repeatedly to 80% you will kill it in short order. They, along with flooded cells, should be kept to the 50% discharge regimen for maximum life. If you're looking for repeated draw capacity to 80% you need to be in the lithium arena.

If you look at the Lifeline tech documents, you will find a graph of cell life (# of charge cycles) vs. depth of discharge. The sweet spot is at 50% DoD however, the less you draw your batteries, the higher number of charge cycles (and longer life) you get.

The MOST important thing regarding lead based battery systems is to fully re-charge them to 100% after use to prevent sulfation, which is the leading cause of premature battery failure.
Thanks for clarifying my comments. As you note, DoD vs Life is a curve with 80% being the worst case (shortest life).

mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
After poking around for some time I couldn't find any intrinsic reason why DD flooded batteries should exhibit shorter cycle lifetimes than AGM batteries. Both can happily be discharged to 80% and recover, albeit with some minor degradation.

This was an eye opener to me - that I can safely discharge my flooded lead-acid batteries to 80% every once in a while to stay comfortable without worry. Just last week I was boondocking my my wife and I cranked down the temperature to 50 deg F inside the trailer at night to try and limit my furnace usage. Next time I'll keep warmer and not stress so much.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote