Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Post Fill Tank from City Water Hook-up using clever Electric Solenoid Valve Setup?

I have a Electrical Engineering project on my hands but there's a problem... I'm no Electrical Engineer! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Here's an overview of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm renovating our '79 Excella from the frame up. In redoing the plumbing I'm adding the ability to fill the Fresh Water Tank via the City Water hook-up. Normally this is done JUST with the gravity feed through the access port on the outside:

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_fill.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	230362

My plan is to use a Solenoid Value (bought this one) that would allow city water to flow to the water tank with the press of a button when I'm connected to city water.

Name:	solendoid_valve.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	230361
With this Solenoid, powered = open (switch is "on"), unpowered = closed (switch is "off"). I want to take this one step further by using the existing water tank sensors to automatically cut power to the solendoid value and close it when the tank is full. The existing tank sensors (similar setup pictured here) aren't being use anymore (I switched to the SEELEVEL system) so I can use them for whatever I want without screwing anything else up!

Name:	HoldingTanks1nHalfPipe.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	742.8 KB
ID:	230360

If you're not familiar, the way these sensors work is that when water reaches the sensor probe, it completes a circuit and when power is applied (usually via a button in the cabin) and light lights up to indicate the tank is at that level (usually 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full).

I am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish my goal of using the "full" sensor to automatically cut power (close) the solenoid valve. Should I be using some sort of 3-way switch setup? Or perhaps a setup that uses a relay?

Any direction you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I really admire your intent.

I would keep this simple and go the route used on our Monaco 5er. We fill the FW tank using the city supply connection as you intend. The difference is that the valve is manual on and manual off. I would be hesitant to use the tank sensors as a trigger to shut off the valve as most RV level sensing systems are notoriously unreliable. You may end up either under filled, or over filled tank depending on the whimsy of the sensor.

I know that our FW tank is full when water runs from the tank overflow. If it were me I would opt for simplicity in this instance and follow your idea sans electronics.

Just my 2¢

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Sounds complicated and prone to failure. I'd stick with the KISS principal!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post

I would keep this simple and go the route used on our Monaco 5er. We fill the FW tank using the city supply connection as you intend. The difference is that the valve is manual on and manual off. I would be hesitant to use the tank sensors as a trigger to shut off the valve as most RV level sensing systems are notoriously unreliable. You may end up either under filled, or over filled tank depending on the whimsy of the sensor.

I know that our FW tank is full when water runs from the tank overflow. If it were me I would opt for simplicity in this instance and follow your idea sans electronics.

Just my 2¢
Ditto.

I was thinking the same thing. Our Avion has a manual valve that works just fine. I wouldn't want to rely on the sensors to shut off the flow of water.

For a non-engineer, you sure tend to over-engineer!
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:

Just my 2¢
Exactly what we have done.

Really trust a sensor on a tank? No thanks!

Tim
Old 01-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Even the electrical valve would be okay - it's the relying on the sensor that makes me hesitate.

Also, be sure you have a way to drain/blow out the line when winterizing.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
KISS Principle:
I have one of these:
http://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Campi.../CAM22463.html
I screw the male fitting on the brass end into my municipal water inlet. I screw my potable water hose to the brass female fitting. Then I screw another hose into the plastic male fitting. I can run that second hose anywhere, including to my freshwater tank fill port, or (with a different hose, of course) to my black tank flush fitting, or to a spray nozzle for cleaning my barbecue grill, or whatever.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Only thing not covered is what happens when solenoid doesn't get the signal to close?
How much pressure can a plastic water tank handle? and will the air relief valve vent enough not to have it rupture.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
The Airstream classic motor homes came standard with this feature. The only difference is it would shut off at 3/4 level. You could change that to filling it up full by changing the sensor wiring from the 3/4 pin to the full pin.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...9&d=1411933669

This is my duplication of the plumbing that was originally installed in our trailer, it has a manual approach to filling tank from city connection
Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
KISS Principle:
I have one of these:
http://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Campi.../CAM22463.html
I screw the male fitting on the brass end into my municipal water inlet. I screw my potable water hose to the brass female fitting. Then I screw another hose into the plastic male fitting. I can run that second hose anywhere, including to my freshwater tank fill port, or (with a different hose, of course) to my black tank flush fitting, or to a spray nozzle for cleaning my barbecue grill, or whatever.

With vacuum breakers on each line at the hose bibb to state what was left out. Back flow preventer.

Probably the only time I'll get to correct Protagonist (said lightly).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
With vacuum breakers on each line at the hose bibb to state what was left out. Back flow preventer.

Probably the only time I'll get to correct Protagonist (said lightly).
Well, you're the second one today. The first was on a different thread. Nobody's perfect, least of all me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Fill Tank from City Water Hook-up using clever Electric Solenoid Valve Setup?

Yes, but your track record makes your posts good as a go-to for anyone.

As a man nearing retirement I'm sure the old saw about the teacher learning more than his students applies. Your impressions at that change in life I am already looking forward to as you care to relate them in re the travelling life.

The details may trip us up from time to time, but we already know the satisfaction in managing water. Including the workarounds. Or any other system.

Some days it's the trees, and on some it's the forest.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:

Just my 2¢
I remember this feature from my Monaco.
The only problem with using the same idea on an Airstream is that there is no space in the trailer behind the city water connection to mount the valve.
You could mount a valve in the cold water connection under the sink and pipe the water to the tank. In my AS the tank sits under the sink. Then again you could fill the tank manually which is minimal work. Particularly if you have a hose splitter valve on your city water connection with a hose long enough to fill your tank mounted to it.