Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Figuring out what is going on with my trailers electric setup...

I have no idea what is wired where...

A previous owner has modified the wiring in my trailer and there are exposed wires everywhere (some live)! I have cliped them and covered with electrical tape. What would be the best route to finding out what wires go where? Can I use a signal tone device that would allow me to hook up a tone generator and follow the wire through the wall? Or will I need to think about taking of some interior skins to see what is going on?

My trailer is a 1961 and looks like it was remodeled in the early 1990s. I think they did not go behind the skins to run new wire becasue I can see wierd splicing going on here and there. Is the original wire safe/capable of handling the 120v loads?

Also It looks like my 120v connectors are located at the rear of the trailer . Is this the normal position for a 61 Bambi? If not, I will know that they are just connecting things all over the place.

I cannot find any fuses except a couple in the front compartment box. Should I have a circuit breaker?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Airstream Electrical systems

There are 3 systems related to an Airstream trailer. The first system is the 12volt dc exterior lites. These lites are not connected to any other system. On some occasions the fuses are inside. I wire this system without fuses as the tow vehicle has fuses for this purpose.. The next electrical system is all the 12volt dc interior lites and appliances. The last system is the 120 volt ac lites and recepticles. This power comes from being connected to a house shop or generator. The wiring really has not changed much since the 60's. The diameter of the conductors and insulation has remained very near the same. Some aluminium wire required special procedures but will perform very well. As with all mobile devices that use electricity, the most critical aspect is all terminations or connections. WD40 is a good conection improver for ac and dc connections. To check out your Bambi requires the systems are correctly identified. Old wiring is not necessarily bad wiring. Circuit breakers are good if they are manual reset. Tell more with some pics... Frank