Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Fantastic Fans: Which Model to Buy??!!

Howdy Gang,

Been a while since I've posted. I'm now asking for wisdom....

I want to replace all three fans in my 34 footer (two actually...one died, the lid cracked, and an aluminum plate is riveted to the frame of the one over the bathroom...)

I want to buy a Fantastic Fan. I am not sure which model I want.

I like the model 4000. It has the airflow, 3-speeds, and reversing features that I want. It is a basic but decent fan.

The 5000 seems to be the same fan but with a thermostat. On the one hand, this looks like junk to break to me. But on the other, I could see it as a good thing; where I set the thermostat to say 67 degrees or so and we go to sleep and forget about it. Whereas with the 4000, we might go to sleep and it's 80 degrees and wake up at 4:00am and it's 50 degrees inside the coach.

The model 6600 will cook my dinner for me, but is it just junk to break or is it worth the extra dineros to get it?

What do you guys think? Is the rock bottom simple one the way to go? Should I splurge for the one that cooks my dinner for me? Is the one in the middle the way to go? How reliable are the thermostats in them?

Right now, I think the 6600 is cool but probably a bit much. I think the 4000 would get the job done just fine. But I think the 5000 might be a smidge better if the thermostat doesn't break after a year or so just so I don't wake up icey cold in the middle of the night.

What you all think?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The rain sensor is a good feature, and it works. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Must have IMHO

Rain sensor - they work
Reversing - wonderful feature but NEVER have a fan close to the vent stack for the toilet running on "in" mode when you flush!
Temp control - mine worked fine for 4 years - Fantastic replaced for free when it went wonky!

Remote control - ? Lets see, the roof of an airstream is how high? If you're a little person or have arthritis it might make sense, but I'd lose the wretched remote.

Paula
Old 12-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Absolutely agree with zig and Paula about the Rain Sensing unit. We left both of ours open and running in Palo Duro Canyon on a sunny day. A quick Texas rain came over the canyon and soaked the place. We came home to find her safe and dry inside, with the fans closed down and shut off. Reversing is important when you want the flow-thru effect. We put the bedroom on IN and the front one on OUT. It airs out the whole 30 feet in next to no time, and keeps up a nice flow to the extent we rarely use the AC. Do it once, right, and you'll be happy you didn't "settle" for something less.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can upgrde any Fantstic vent, so if you gt a 4000 or 5000 and decide you want the rain sensor and lift motor you can buy thos items and install the parts to make the higher-dollar vent.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I'll second, third, fourth...whatever the count its right now for the rain sensors. The remote is unnecessary in an Airstream I think. It's mostly for 5th wheels where you'd need a ladder inside to get to the controls. I suppose it might be cool to be laying in bed or not having to leave the couch to change the fan speed or the temperature setting.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
I'll second, third, fourth...whatever the count its right now for the rain sensors. The remote is unnecessary in an Airstream I think. It's mostly for 5th wheels where you'd need a ladder inside to get to the controls. I suppose it might be cool to be laying in bed or not having to leave the couch to change the fan speed or the temperature setting.
The remote is good if the fan is on the other end of the trailer. Say if you have a rear bed model and the fan is up front and it's the middle of the night. If the fan comes with the remote, fine, but I wouldn' speciallybuy it.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We went for 2 last year and got the rain sensor. Wasn't sure it they were working until one day I was looking at it when it began to rain. Sure enough, they closed as advertised. Never looked back. Will replace the 3rd. one someday too. Don't bother with the remote controls. Just something else to have to look for.

Go for it. You'll like it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You can upgrde any Fantstic vent, so if you gt a 4000 or 5000 and decide you want the rain sensor and lift motor you can buy thos items and install the parts to make the higher-dollar vent.
Where might one find the upgrades? I looked at Fantastic vent's website but didn't find anything about individual upgrade parts. Thanks!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Amen to all said above. If something goes wrong, Fantastic Vent will replace it without an argument...possibly the best customer service on the planet. We love ours...rain sensor, thermostat control, fan in and out modes...the remote is not so important.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Don't intend to hijack this thread, but do want to put in a quick plug for MaxxFan.

I have both. They both have their points. There are multiple threads if you do a search.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I only have one Fantastic Vent; Whatever air it blows out/in, the same amount of air comes from the standard vent. [only one fan is really needed] Only thing mine doesn't have is the remote and I don't want/need one. Fantastic vents have no junk so I guess the basic one is the one for you.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
When you install a new Fantastic Vent, do you loose the light? I'm assuming you do. What have you done to replace the light...or just go without? Thanks!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
When you install a new Fantastic Vent, do you loose the light? I'm assuming you do. What have you done to replace the light...or just go without? Thanks!
Correct on loosing the light, but....

Just add a fluorescent or an LED fixture forward or aft (or both) when you switch out to the Fantastic. The wiring is already there, easy access when you have the old fan/light out, and much better light and color quality with the newer lighting.

On the matter of model/accessories on the Fantastic - I have a thermo/rain sensor on one of the FF's on the MoHo - never ever used the temp sensor. On both of the FF's on the trailer I installed a Maxx Air II Cover:

The covers are easily removable by pulling 4 pins, add an extra "bug" barrier, don't reduce the air flow by much, and allow me to leave a top vent open AND turn off all of the batteries when the AS is parked for a week or more.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Where might one find the upgrades? I looked at Fantastic vent's website but didn't find anything about individual upgrade parts. Thanks!
Becky, yu can give tem a call. I know our parts department has an upgrade kit sitting on the shelf, but I can't tell yu more than that.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Thanks for the replies everyone. This kind of has me leaning toward splurging for the 6000 series models for the front and rear and a 4000 over the center bathroom.

Oh, and mine is so old that it didn't have lights built into the fans....they're just fans. So I won't be losing any lights.

See ya on the road!
Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's where I bought ours - I replaced all three old style vents with the reversible, powered type...

Fan-Tastic Fan Vent

I believe Vintage has an exclusive of supplying the vents with an alum colored lid - it color match is very good! They also offer the interior bezel with a curved profile to match the older trailers...

I bought one with the thermostat, (no rain sensor) that ventilates as needed when the AS is in storage...

With all fans in the blowing 'in' mode, I can actually use soapy water on the exterior of the windows to find leaks! These things have some 'fan' power!
Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm not sure of the model that is installed in my Classic but it has a dialable temperature thermostat that sits on the closet wall. This makes the fan a variable speed fan dependent upon how close it is to set point. So I can set it when going to bed and the fan speed slows down as it approaches set point. Hitting set point it shuts off, and as the heat of the day builds, the fan ramps up speed till hitting maximum velocity, depending upon the difference in the interior temps and the thermostat setting.

Ditto to others comments on the rain sensors. This is one of those products where performance is not an afterthought. These folks make good products. Never have had a problem with one of their fans.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The rain sensor is a MUST. Leave the vent open in the summer while you are out and along comes a summer thunder shower, you will be so glad you had the sensor-trust me. The thermostat is also well worth the money. If you order from Vintage Trailer supply they offer the cover in a gray that almost matches the older Heir Vents. Also they have a curved trim piece for inside that matches the curve of the top of the trailer.

Lots of good info on installation tips here on the forum as well, might check them out before you install it.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
How to Operate the Fan-Tastic Fan 6000 Series OEM

How To Operate the Fan-Tastic Vent Fan for Airstream Travel Trailers Bambi International - YouTube