Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes I called Fantastic Vent and spoke with Rodney. He was very helpful and shared that if I needed one installed to go to a rally and they would meet up with those in need!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
We opted for the smoke lids. I wanted them specifically because they would let some light in since I was losing the lights around the vents.
Yes the domes come in white (no light in), white translucent (some light), smoke (blue light), and clear (all light)

I chose clear for the lounge area and translucent white for the bedroom as they provide light. My bedroom is fairly dark as I do not have the pano window. The clear although totally open has the blades and the motor frame to contend with as blocks so I look at it as another skylight with semi direct blockage of rays. I cannot wait to get these installed. Hopefully today.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
gasket or no gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Last evening I received two 6000 RBTA models. I am going to install them. I notice that the directions (and box) comes with a cell gasket to be used as a seal under the unit then sealing the seams and screws with sealant. Is this what others with Airstreams do? I was planning on using that roll putty underneath and sealing the seams and screw heads with vulcam. Is the cell gasket a good way too? It IS recommended by Fantastic Vent. Opinion?
I researched this question a great deal. There are lots of opinions, but I ended up going with just vulkem sealant and no gasket as supported by several folks on the forum. I've read quite a few posts on this forum where folks had trouble with the FF supplied gasket (It doesn't look very tough to me anyway). The vulkem that I removed from my 30 year old trailer so far is still pretty flexible so I think it is a good product. This is how I installed mine. Fantastic Vent install - Airstream Forums
It has held up great for 21 hours so I think that speaks for itself!! Seriously, I think putting some kind of support underneath the fan flange (I used some 1/8" thick aluminum angle I got at Lowe's) will help with the long term flexing of the outer skin. My guess is that the problems people have are that the outer skin flexes constantly against the pretty stiff plastic flange on the vent which causes sealant failure over time. I think if the flexible skin is sandwiched between two relatively rigid components, the seal will last longer. I hope that I'm right.
Good luck in your install.
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Fantastic vent

I replaced both fans , one 2 years ago, the rear one last summer . I got the 6600r417 with remote. FAN-TASTIC VENT 6600R417 12 VOLT RV 14 SPEED REVERSIBLE CEILING FAN WITH THERMOSTAT AND HAND REMOTE

The caulking on the front one was already going bad . I decided to use Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond® Eternabond on rear one .put small bead of caulking on edge of fan and tape over it ,also re-did front fan. I think this tape will last a very long time. Its is available @ Grainger 25' roll 4" I cut it down to 3" . 25' roll you can do 2 fans. Here is a photo, also notice new Maxim skylight.
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Glendale , California
photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
I replaced both fans , one 2 years ago, the rear one last summer . I got the 6600r417 with remote. FAN-TASTIC VENT 6600R417 12 VOLT RV 14 SPEED REVERSIBLE CEILING FAN WITH THERMOSTAT AND HAND REMOTE

The caulking on the front one was already going bad . I decided to use Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond® Eternabond on rear one .put small bead of caulking on edge of fan and tape over it ,also re-did front fan. I think this tape will last a very long time. Its is available @ Grainger 25' roll 4" I cut it down to 3" . 25' roll you can do 2 fans. Here is a photo, also notice new Maxim skylight.
here is photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020037.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	153736  
Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

Glendale , California
eterna bond tape on skylight

Here is another photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	153737  
Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Help I am in the middle of installing a fantastic vent in the rear bedroom but there does not seem to be wiring like in the front area ready for a fan where should the wiring be?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
That's one of the reasons to go to a Rally; the Fantastic folks know where the wires are ...

but if your coach doesn't have wiring right where you want the vent, it's likely that there's a ceiling light nearby and you can tap into its wiring. Only real issue is that you may have to have the wall switch for that light in the "on" position to get power to your fan. That's no problem for me, 'cause I've got the cheap ceiling light fixtures that also have a switch on the fixture itself. YMMV
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ok, well four hours later I am finished with the second installation. I had to dig around with my hand in the fiberglass insulation to find a purple and a white wire set. They were the only ones I could find. The light in the bedroom was on the other side of a body frame. I pulled it out just to hunt for some wires but found none. At least the fan is installed and working. I just hope there is no issue with using those wires.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post

They offer two thicknesses of tape. Which one did you use? The thinner one was around $43.00 for a 4" x 25' roll and the thicker one was around $84.00.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Glendale , California
Eternabond tape

I used the ETERNABOND ROOFSEAL PLUS 65 mil thick. Check out this video on YouTube RV roof repair I personally think this is way superior to caulking there is no way water can get in from this seal. Both fans the screws were totally rusted from factory . I had rear fan redone from reputable airstream service center still leaked , not anymore . Also this tape can be pulled up and replaced easily. May be I have to do that in 5 to ten years.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Before I pull the trigger on buying 2 of these from Vintage Trailer Supply, do I need the curved garnish or the flat for my 64 Tradewind?

Here's a pic: Photo Details

Thanks
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco
Before I pull the trigger on buying 2 of these from Vintage Trailer Supply, do I need the curved garnish or the flat for my 64 Tradewind?

Here's a pic: Photo Details

Thanks
I got the flat for my 68' should have got the curved. It looked pretty flat. Ut once on it wasn't. There is a slight gap and it pulled the inside panel down a bit screwing it in. When I order my next one I will get the curved. If your trailer is 7 feet wide I would get the curved.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I got the flat for my 68' should have got the curved. It looked pretty flat. Ut once on it wasn't. There is a slight gap and it pulled the inside panel down a bit screwing it in. When I order my next one I will get the curved. If your trailer is 7 feet wide I would get the curved.
I haven't actually measured it, but the manual says 8 ft wide. I feel like it *looks* pretty flat, but was hoping someone could confirm. Thanks for the info.

I also sent a message to VTS, hopefully they will know for sure.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I got the flat for my 1983 Excella. Should have gotten the curved. Definitely get the curved for your '64.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #76
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I haven't actually measured it, but the manual says 8 ft wide. I feel like it *looks* pretty flat, but was hoping someone could confirm. Thanks for the info.

I also sent a message to VTS, hopefully they will know for sure.
Hey I have an extra FF 6000rbta grey lid white interior with the curved face plate. Mine fit in the existing fan cut outs like a glove.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a 66 Tradewind. Based on the guidelines given, I ordered flat garnishes for the two Fantastic fans that I ordered. Does anybody have any experience on whether the 66 Tradewind should have the curved garnish or the flat one?

I ended up canceling my order because just as they were ready to ship the fans, they told my retailer that they did not have any flat motors in stock (needed for the flat lids) and would not have any for another 4 months. I was also told that Fantastic Fans was sold a few months ago; so customer service may be affected. I am going to wait for a while because I would like flat lids. We will see though. If I need to I will just go with the domed lids. The 66 TW that Airstream completed the makeover on and is now for sale on Ebay has domed lids. I was surprised that they did not go with flat lids to get the more vintage look.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I have a 66 Tradewind. Based on the guidelines given, I ordered flat garnishes for the two Fantastic fans that I ordered. Does anybody have any experience on whether the 66 Tradewind should have the curved garnish or the flat one?

I ended up canceling my order because just as they were ready to ship the fans, they told my retailer that they did not have any flat motors in stock (needed for the flat lids) and would not have any for another 4 months. I was also told that Fantastic Fans was sold a few months ago; so customer service may be affected. I am going to wait for a while because I would like flat lids. We will see though. If I need to I will just go with the domed lids. The 66 TW that Airstream completed the makeover on and is now for sale on Ebay has domed lids. I was surprised that they did not go with flat lids to get the more vintage look.

Dan
did you order them from Vintage trailer.. If not they might have them in stock..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote