Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, I love that new cover that FF has brought out for it's fans! I agree, the video is strange the way they recorded it, but it is proof positive that their cover is the only one to use, if you want to keep your airflow near 100%

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself for those that missed it the first time.

I'm actually wondering why one would bother with the sensors if this cover was installed...?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
Wow, I love that new cover that FF has brought out for it's fans! ...
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself ...
That is a simple but effective demo. Did they indicate if the FF cover only comes in black?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #43
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
That is a simple but effective demo. Did they indicate if the FF cover only comes in black?
I wondered that, too. I didn't see anything in the ad to indicate if they would or would not, but hopefully worst case would be to paint it yourself...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Wow, I love that new cover that FF has brought out for it's fans! I agree, the video is strange the way they recorded it, but it is proof positive that their cover is the only one to use, if you want to keep your airflow near 100%

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself for those that missed it the first time.

I'm actually wondering why one would bother with the sensors if this cover was installed...?
Hi, I watched that video too and have a few things to say about it.

(1.) My camera will correct my pictures with the top up in vertical or horizontal positions, but if I hold my camera vertical for a video, it will only show sideways and cannot be corrected.

(2.) Their black vent cover is ugly and black. My Maxx Air ll is white and much better looking.

(3.) Their vent cover has no screen on it; I would like to see the same test done with the Maxx Air ll with it's screen removed. [it is removable for cleaning]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogfox View Post
The factory is located in Lapeer County Michigan but not in the City of Lapeer, it is located 13 miles to the east in Imlay City.
Very true. Thanks for correcting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You're welcome.
As for lids, a white lid will block all light, I don't remember for sure about the grey lid, but I think it does, too. The smoke lid will let a good deal of light in so the trailer isn't too dark. You may want a solid white or grey lid if the fan is directly over the bed.
We opted for the smoke lids. I wanted them specifically because they would let some light in since I was losing the lights around the vents. And the smoke ones do indeed let the light in! This caused an issue for my wife though in the morning as she's a light sleeper. She has since fashioned some heavy fabric "covers" which can be velcroed on to the vent opening from the inside of the camper. They work well enough, but obviously not as good as having the "solid" color lids.

As for losing lights, yeah, that happens. For me, having the FF was far better on the trade-off for lights. In our Overlander, there are three vents. We only replaced the front and rear ones. The middle one (in the kitchen) remained the stock Airstream one so that we could retain the lights and because the vent can't open unless the TV antenna is up anyway. In the front, there's enough other lights to give us what we need in the dark. The bedroom is perhaps a bit dim in the dark now, but there's two light bars back there and really we're either sleeping or watching TV there anyway. If we decide that we need more light, then I will dig the 12V wires out from under the FF moldings and install some LED strips and rocker switches.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
According to their website they come in White and Smoke too.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I didn't see any prices, but noted that they offer an optional vent screen.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #48
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Not sure your aware of this, but last year I needed parts for my fantastic fan.
I found out they were covered under warranty.
Fantastic fan shipped these parts to me for free.
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
translucent lids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Very true. Thanks for correcting.

We opted for the smoke lids. I wanted them specifically because they would let some light in since I was losing the lights around the vents. And the smoke ones do indeed let the light in! This caused an issue for my wife though in the morning as she's a light sleeper. She has since fashioned some heavy fabric "covers" which can be velcroed on to the vent opening from the inside of the camper. They work well enough, but obviously not as good as having the "solid" color lids.

As for losing lights, yeah, that happens. For me, having the FF was far better on the trade-off for lights. In our Overlander, there are three vents. We only replaced the front and rear ones. The middle one (in the kitchen) remained the stock Airstream one so that we could retain the lights and because the vent can't open unless the TV antenna is up anyway. In the front, there's enough other lights to give us what we need in the dark. The bedroom is perhaps a bit dim in the dark now, but there's two light bars back there and really we're either sleeping or watching TV there anyway. If we decide that we need more light, then I will dig the 12V wires out from under the FF moldings and install some LED strips and rocker switches.
On the Vintage Trailer Supply site, they list the white lid as translucent. Has anybody used that one? I really want to let more light in and would prefer the white color as well.
Thanks,
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #50
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I just replaced the [3] vent lids on this latest (and hopefully soon gone) SILVER STREAK with the opaque white. Winter sun and no clouds, yeah buddy, I made me some vent covers of Reflectix with fabric stapled to the underside and attached to the ceiling with white Velcro. They're more than bright enough in white.

But I'd rather have had smoke (OOS the day I bought them) as shades can be put up and down as required. There are even sliding shades available in RV catalogs (other solutions, is the point).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #51
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
At Can-am rv they have a mini blind that went across the
Fantastic Fan vent.
It will made the room a lot darker!!
I hope this helps!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #52
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I installed the FF 6000RBTA haven't gotten the new wiring in yet, hope they work.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
This has really turned into a good thread. Thanks to all. I am definitely getting Fantastic Vents. I just still am undecided on which ones. Though I like the idea of a thermostat and a rain sensor, I also like the idea of the manual ones where you "set it and forget it." Not much to go wrong with those. And, I'm undecided between smoke lids and the silver ones. Or maybe a mixture....whatever goes in the bedroom I want to let NO light in. Call me an old curmudgeon before my time....but I don't want to wake up with the first rays of sun. I'm on vacation...I want to sleep until I decide to wake up
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #54
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the grey lid is what you want then. I highly recommend the rain sensor. Of all the options, it is only one that really mater to me personally.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I'm on vacation...I want to sleep until I decide to wake up
Well, yeah ... but when the sun's up, it's time for me to decide to wake up!!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Well, yeah ... but when the sun's up, it's time for me to decide to wake up!!
Whatever works for you.

Not exactly my idea of a good time, though.

Another vote for the gray lid. It's what I have in my bedroom. Keeps it nice and dark in there.

I also agree with the rain sensor. I've left the vent open and on high the last three days. (Lots of other days for that matter) No way I'd leave it open over my bed when I'm gone without the rain sensor.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Last year, I replaced one of the standard, non-powered vents in my Bambi with a Shurflo fan. I know that people love the FF, and you don't hear much about the Shurflo, but it fit well, works well, and I got a great deal on it. I'm very happy with it, FWIW. It came with a smoked, dark cover, but you can see through it. It's nice to have the fan on when you don't really need the air. Also, it's very quiet.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Just installed the 6000RBTA

Yesterday, I received the FF 6000 RBTA from VTS with the white lid. It lets in lots of light which I really like. To install, I used Vulkem and Olympic Rivets. Since my interior skins are gone, I used some 1/8" x 1/2" x1/2" aluminum angle to back up the rivets and reduce stress on the fan frame overall. The rivets went through the fan, the trailer exterior skin and then the angle. I used clecos to hold it all together while I set it up and it worked pretty well. Took me a couple of hours to put it all together. It looks great, but I don't have power yet to test it. I am still patching holes and fixing floors but I am trying to have a leakproof shell before I put in anything new below. Right now it is just a really expensive patch. Thanks to the folks on this thread for all the info.
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have read in other posts on this site that the FantasticFan people often provide FREE replacement parts; and today, I confirmed this myself.

The housing for the knob that manually raises and lowers the cover started deteriorating last year. Both of the tabs for the mounting screws broke off, and the body of the housing started crumbling. On our last road trip, I pulled the handle down to disengage the motor; and the whole thing came off in my hand.

I checked the FAQs on the FantasticFan Web site to find out how to contact them, and found an explanation for the free parts. They take part of their advertising budget and use it to provide parts for fans that are out of warranty. Then, they let their goodwill gesture travel word-of-mouth as additional advertising. It sure works for me!

In any case, they are sending the part I need at no cost, including free shipping.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Last evening I received two 6000 RBTA models. I am going to install them. I notice that the directions (and box) comes with a cell gasket to be used as a seal under the unit then sealing the seams and screws with sealant. Is this what others with Airstreams do? I was planning on using that roll putty underneath and sealing the seams and screw heads with vulcam. Is the cell gasket a good way too? It IS recommended by Fantastic Vent. Opinion?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote