Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
WineStream's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,873
Images: 24
A couple of things I've heard directly from Fantastic Fan people during a visit to their factory...

If something breaks on any part of the fan, call them and they will replace certain items and you pay only shipping (if you're out of the warranty period).

You can drive down the road with the vents open and the fans on, if you wish. I actually did this after visiting the factory. I had my rear-view mirror tilted up so I could monitor the lid. It flops around a bit, but hangs in there. I drove for 5 hours this way and there were no ill effects. This is not a regular practice for me though even though the factory said it's OK. I do see it though as an "insurance" benefit in that if I forget to close them and hit the road, they aren't getting torn off.

If you are driving in a dusty area, you can have all fans blowing inward and it will lightly pressurize the camper and keep dust out of any leaky door or window gaskets. I personally do not subscribe to this idea and I don't have issues with dust inside after going down dusty roads anyway.

Last but not least, I was informed that with the fans on high speed blowing out that a typical rainfall will not get far enough to trigger the rain sensor. Thus, you can leave the fans open and on plus leave your windows cracked open during the rain and still get ventilation. The factory rep. offered to get a garden hose and demonstrate this on my trailer. I declined.
__________________

__________________
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 144
And these are some of the reasons we bought them

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
A couple of things I've heard directly from Fantastic Fan people during a visit to their factory...

If something breaks on any part of the fan, call them and they will replace certain items and you pay only shipping (if you're out of the warranty period).

You can drive down the road with the vents open and the fans on, if you wish. I actually did this after visiting the factory. I had my rear-view mirror tilted up so I could monitor the lid. It flops around a bit, but hangs in there. I drove for 5 hours this way and there were no ill effects. This is not a regular practice for me though even though the factory said it's OK. I do see it though as an "insurance" benefit in that if I forget to close them and hit the road, they aren't getting torn off.

If you are driving in a dusty area, you can have all fans blowing inward and it will lightly pressurize the camper and keep dust out of any leaky door or window gaskets. I personally do not subscribe to this idea and I don't have issues with dust inside after going down dusty roads anyway.

Last but not least, I was informed that with the fans on high speed blowing out that a typical rainfall will not get far enough to trigger the rain sensor. Thus, you can leave the fans open and on plus leave your windows cracked open during the rain and still get ventilation. The factory rep. offered to get a garden hose and demonstrate this on my trailer. I declined.
First--Jason--where is the factory? Could be a cool place to visit.

Second, one of the main reason we chose Fantastic Vent fans is because it seems you can travel with them open. We plan to travel with our cats in the trailer rather than having them in the Excursion. Two of them don't mind the Excursion, but all four of them are happy in the trailer. We will have the rear one blowing "in" and the front one blowing "out". This should avoid any potential CO getting into the trailer from the Excursion exhaust. They are all very happy in the trailer--much more so than in their carriers.

Now, if we could just figure out a better place for the litter box than in the bathtub...

Sue
__________________

__________________
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
WineStream's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,873
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
First--Jason--where is the factory? Could be a cool place to visit.

Second, one of the main reason we chose Fantastic Vent fans is because it seems you can travel with them open. We plan to travel with our cats in the trailer rather than having them in the Excursion. Two of them don't mind the Excursion, but all four of them are happy in the trailer. We will have the rear one blowing "in" and the front one blowing "out". This should avoid any potential CO getting into the trailer from the Excursion exhaust. They are all very happy in the trailer--much more so than in their carriers.

Now, if we could just figure out a better place for the litter box than in the bathtub...

Sue
The factory is in Lapeer, MI. It is a long haul from anywhere in the USA but if you're from western Ontario, then it's a snap expect for customs. It's only about 1 hour from the Sarnia, MI / Canada border. But, once you're in Lapeer it's quite easy to get to. It's only a block off of I-69. If you need any parts or service done, they will do it on-site. A phone call ahead of time is a good idea, though. When we were there, there was another Airstream in getting his fans worked on. Ironically we were both from Ohio but had never met.
__________________
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #32
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Of those of you that have installed FFans, how many of you have used the special curved trim piece (and what year/model was your Airstream?).

I have a 63 Overlander and I remember reading somewhere that it didn't need it even though it's an older TT. As I remember it was the shorter trailers that needed the curved piece? Can anyone confirm? Thanks
The Airstream garnish looks and works better on all models up to the new wide-body units. The older Airstreams would use the Ivory, or off-white garnish, and the newer ones would use the polar white garnish.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #33
Site Team
 
reinergirl's Avatar

 
1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,639
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The Airstream garnish looks and works better on all models up to the new wide-body units. The older Airstreams would use the Ivory, or off-white garnish, and the newer ones would use the polar white garnish.

Thanks Terry!
__________________
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
I am very proud to be a Fantastic Dealer as Sue mentioned. It is very easy to get behind an excellent product!
The one bad thing about Sue's install was the overhead lights had to go away. I am still trying to figure out a way to compensate for that. I believe this is only a mid 80's issue.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #35
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am very proud to be a Fantastic Dealer as Sue mentioned. It is very easy to get behind an excellent product!
The one bad thing about Sue's install was the overhead lights had to go away. I am still trying to figure out a way to compensate for that. I believe this is only a mid 80's issue.
They had the lights in the vents in the 70,s trailer as well, Frank.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,771
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am very proud to be a Fantastic Dealer as Sue mentioned. It is very easy to get behind an excellent product!
The one bad thing about Sue's install was the overhead lights had to go away. I am still trying to figure out a way to compensate for that. I believe this is only a mid 80's issue.
I put a couple of single tube fixtures made by Progressive Dynamics on either side of the one I installed in the bedroom of my 1983 Excella. There are photos here in Terry's fulltiming adventure thread. There was a discussion about this going on in that thread a couple of years ago.

The good news at the time is that they were made by PD, a good company. The bad news is that PD has since decided to exit the lighting part of the RV business. Another single-tube fixture could be used in a similar fashion.

I am disappointed to see PD stop making 12V fluorescent lighting. The fixtures were nice. I also have one of their two-tube fixtures in the hall above the fridge.

Also, back to the original topic: Get the one(s) with the rain sensor(s)!
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member
 
reddogfox's Avatar
 
2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 95
Blog Entries: 4
Correction Fantastic Vent Company Location

The factory is located in Lapeer County Michigan but not in the City of Lapeer, it is located 13 miles to the east in Imlay City. For access from I-69 take Exit 168 and then go north one block then turn left on Newark Road go west one block to South Almont Avenue. Turn left the factory is on the east side of street. Very friendlily folks they welcome visitors.
__________________
Richard from MI

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #38
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Thanks Terry!
You're welcome.
As for lids, a white lid will block all light, I don't remember for sure about the grey lid, but I think it does, too. The smoke lid will let a good deal of light in so the trailer isn't too dark. You may want a solid white or grey lid if the fan is directly over the bed.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Skater's Avatar
 
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63

They had the lights in the vents in the 70,s trailer as well, Frank.
Heck our '95 has one. Kind of annoying actually...
__________________
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Crusty's Avatar
 
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 562
Images: 10
FVs

A fully open fan will let rain hit the sensor on high in a moderate rain shower, but you can use the factory approved procedure of grabbing and holding the manual knob on the lid's way open as soon as the fan starts. This will stop the lid from raising any more and keep most of the rain off of the sensor. I haven't found a way to keep heavy dew from closing the lid other than a full power off. Always use the switch to lower the lid and not the knob.

The best way to operate the fans normally is to keep all the windows closed and then set one fan to blow in and the other to blow out. This turns your trailer interior into a gentle wind tunnel so that you get a breeze nearly everywhere in the trailer. You can modify this procedure at night to set one or both fans blowing in and then open the window at the head of the rear bed for an exhaust vent and the air washes right over you on its way out.
__________________
Crusty
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #41
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
Wow, I love that new cover that FF has brought out for it's fans! I agree, the video is strange the way they recorded it, but it is proof positive that their cover is the only one to use, if you want to keep your airflow near 100%

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself for those that missed it the first time.

I'm actually wondering why one would bother with the sensors if this cover was installed...?
__________________
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
Silver Goose's Avatar
 
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
Wow, I love that new cover that FF has brought out for it's fans! ...
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself ...
That is a simple but effective demo. Did they indicate if the FF cover only comes in black?
__________________

__________________
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 airstream 28 international serenity model buy below 81070 msrp huge sale eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 12-03-2011 11:00 AM
2012 airstream 28 international serenity model buy below 81070 msrp huge sale eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 10-19-2011 08:40 PM
Yikes! My Fantastic Fans Killed My Batteries Alumaholic Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 20 10-08-2011 09:33 AM
Looking to buy a used AS what model fits the bill? sprinklerguy Member Introductions 11 09-07-2011 10:54 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.