Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Fantastic Fan Pet Switch.

A few years ago, I believe it was Summer 2012, Airstream Life had an article on how to add a Pet Switch to an FF. It would connect the thermostat to the cover opening circuit, so if it got warm in the trailer the vent would open. The article is no longer on line. Does anyone have a copy of it?

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I wrote the article, though I don't have a copy of it. I have one of our Fantastics wired that way, and if you can wait, I'll remove the inside control board and take photos of how I wired it, when the weather gets warm enough to spend time in the trailer.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The pet switch was planned to be a feature or at least an option on these vents, but the project was shelved when Atwood purchased Fantastic
Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
ISSUU - Airstream Life Summer 2012 by Church Street Publishing, Inc.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Terry, Ricky,
Thanks so much. That's what I was looking for.
When I first saw this article I'd diagrammed out a schematic to include a dpdt switch to allow the Pet/People option. Of course I can't find it now. I'll post it when I get around to figuring it out again.

Dave

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 02-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hi Dave-

Two years ago, we purchased a 2013 Sprinter 3500 to tow our 2009 28' International. We had ordered two fantastics when we purchased the AS, and are happy that we did. When we customized the new Sprinter for our windsurfing gear, we researched various fans to ventilate the interior, which was likely to have at least damp gear stored in it. We started with FF's, then went to solar powered fans for marine use, and finally went back to the FF's with a remote control, primarily because the FF's had the option of changing out the volume much more quickly if you wanted it. The remote allows you to set the FF for either Manual or Automatic. On the automatic setting, you can pre-select temperature range, and the fan will activate at that temp. In addition, with the rain sensor engaged, the fan cover automatically closes if a rain shower comes through, and then reopens afterward.

We've found this works very well, and wanted to make sure that everyone is aware of this option.

But even with the FF's that have no remote but rain sensor and thermostatic control, you can leave the AS with the vent cover open and the fan set to come on at a given temperature. Since the cover would temporarily close in a rainstorm, I'm confused as to why this would not be a good option for you?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Hi Dave-

Two years ago, we purchased a 2013 Sprinter 3500 to tow our 2009 28' International. We had ordered two fantastics when we purchased the AS, and are happy that we did. When we customized the new Sprinter for our windsurfing gear, we researched various fans to ventilate the interior, which was likely to have at least damp gear stored in it. We started with FF's, then went to solar powered fans for marine use, and finally went back to the FF's with a remote control, primarily because the FF's had the option of changing out the volume much more quickly if you wanted it. The remote allows you to set the FF for either Manual or Automatic. On the automatic setting, you can pre-select temperature range, and the fan will activate at that temp. In addition, with the rain sensor engaged, the fan cover automatically closes if a rain shower comes through, and then reopens afterward.

We've found this works very well, and wanted to make sure that everyone is aware of this option.

But even with the FF's that have no remote but rain sensor and thermostatic control, you can leave the AS with the vent cover open and the fan set to come on at a given temperature. Since the cover would temporarily close in a rainstorm, I'm confused as to why this would not be a good option for you?

There are several scenarios I can think of where having thermostatically controlled vent opening would be useful. Both of these assume you are leaving pets in the AS.

For example, the other day as I was leaving the AS it was still cool outside and I was running the heat, so I didn't want to open the vents. But I was concerned that the sun on the rig was going to make it too warm as the sun went overhead. With this mod the vents would open when it got warm in the trailer.

Example 2. Hot summer day. AC is running. If for some reason the AC kicked off, (overloaded park power, circuit breaker, etc.) As the temperature rose the vents would open and the fans would kick on, helping to mitigate the heat.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 02-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Add to the above, it would be wasteful in the extreme to have a roof vent standing wide open with the air conditioner running.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
My '02 31' Classic is already wired that way in the bedroom. There is a thermostat on the wall where you set the temp. When the inside air gets to that temp, the fan comes on. When it cools down below the set temp, the fan shuts down.

The fan can be set to blow out or in. On "in" it's like having a ceiling over the bed. When it cools off, the fan shuts down and the roof closes.

This fan also has rain sensors so it closes if it starts to rain.

As far as I can tell, this setup came from Airstream.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
My '02 31' Classic is already wired that way in the bedroom. There is a thermostat on the wall where you set the temp. When the inside air gets to that temp, the fan comes on. When it cools down below the set temp, the fan shuts down.

The fan can be set to blow out or in. On "in" it's like having a ceiling over the bed. When it cools off, the fan shuts down and the roof closes.

This fan also has rain sensors so it closes if it starts to rain.

As far as I can tell, this setup came from Airstream.
You have the in/out option. Mine, and I think most Airstreams do not. This modification will open a closed vent and turn on the fan. With a dpdt switch thrown in you can choose which mode, either fan only or vent open and fan, is controlled by the thermostat.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 02-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
After further consideration, it looks like a 4pdt on/on switch is what is needed. Simple wiring using this one.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hi Overlander--

Actually, the vent will only open if the ambient temperature goes above the setting on the fan. So if the AC is on, the vent remains closed, but should it kick off due to overload, as described, then the vent would open and the fan turn on.

Obviously, if you're dry camping with no shore power and you don't use a generator, you most likely are not running A/C (!) and your pet would very much appreciate the auto opening and fan!