Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Fans and Blower motors Circuit #3

I have been having problems with blowing fuse number 3 which is supposed to be a pink wire. According to the schematic I have, there are three devices that use that line. One is the water pump, the other is the furnace, and the third is the Kitchen Vent hood. I unhooked the water pump so it is not that. The furnace blower should not come on unless it is lit and running so I think it is probably the vent hood. I assume the motor is supposed to come on when you move the lever. So pushing the lever toward you or away from you is on? These are all DC brush motors I am assuming which means when the rotor is locked it is basically a dead short. When I plug in the fuse I can here a thump like a motor trying to start so I am suspecting the vent hood motor.

Perry

Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Does the fuse consistently blow or only occassionally? Does the vent exhaust fan motor run at all?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Perry inspect the fan blades for obstructions. it sounds like the motor is trying to turn the fan but can't. Muddauber wasps love to make their nests in the blade housing. Their mud nest may be obstructing the fan blades from turning freely.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have not had a chance to look closer at the fan motor but I will take a look. There are lot of mud dobber nests around the trailer so you might be right there. I don't really need the vent but I do need my water pump on the same fuse.

The fuse always blows but I have not tried it with the blower motor off and I assume it is on right now.

If I can't get it fixed in short order I will just run a temporary line to the pump till I get back from vacation. I don't need any of the other stuff on that circuit.

Perry
Old 10-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Perry if the control for the fan is the same as mine towrds you is on and back against the shell is the off position.
you can always just disconect the fan from the circuit and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I moved the trailer into the drive way tonight so I could take the wheels off and the problem fixed itself. I am worried the problem is hidden inside the walls somewhere. The oven blower works now as well. My trailer has two pump on-off switches. One in the bathroom and on on the control panel near the fridge. They work like a two way light switch. You can turn it off or on from either location. I have not found any other electrical problems. I guess worse case is I can power the pump off the 12V plug in the entertainment center. It would be nice to know what is up.

Perry
Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok well I found the problem. I was putting something in the compartment over the microwave and something arched. I got to looking at it and it was the wire going to the water pump that came off the lug and brushed against the metal frame of the door. So hopefully there are no hidden wires up inside the body that are causing anymore problems. The wire was the orange wire with the white stripe.

Perry