Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Fan-Tastic Vent power efficency

I'm curious about the efficiency of the Fan-tastic vents. Do they use a lot of voltage and drain your battery if you use them over night?

Thanks,
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
I'm curious about the efficiency of the Fan-tastic vents. Do they use a lot of voltage and drain your battery if you use them over night?

Thanks,
They use 12 volts, like every other 12 volt thing in your trailer.

I think you're really more interested in how many amps they use. If you scroll down VTS' page, there is a table listing how many amps are used for each fan speed. Even on high, they only draw 3 amps, which gives you a lot of run time. Of course it all depends on how many amps you have available from your battery/batteries.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Hard to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post

Thanks,
Not trying to be flippant, but it depends on:
How good your batteries are and what state of charge they are in when you begin.
What capacity batteries do you have.
How many fans you run,
What setting do you run them on.
Which model fan they are.
What else is running.
And probably several other things I can't think of now.

If you call:
FanTastic Vent - Home Page

They can probably tell you how much current they draw and from that probably get a good idea of how long they can run.

And just an educational side comment:

All the DC appliances run at a nominal 12 volts. The question is" how much energy (watt hours) do they consume". In this case, since power (watts) equals voltage times amperage and energy equals power times time; if you find out how much current (amps) the fan(s) draw, you can then figure out how much energy they will use and compare that to the battery rated capacity. Of course you have to take into account everything else that is drawing current during the night.

You will probably get responses that say "my fan runs all night long no problem." However use cautioning counting on that applying to your situation unless all the variables are exactly identical.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Easy answer. They are very low draw. Around 1 amp on low and 3 amps on high. Could run it several nights without a problem. We use it mostly in the day and can go 3 days without recharging. Like the fanastic fan so much I bought one of their 12volt endless breeze fans. moves a lot of air with 1 to 3 amps draw.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Fantastic fans use permanent magnet motors which use less power than older OEM motors in vents and furnaces which have field windings to generate the magnetic field.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks for the replies folks! I apologize for not being specific enough with my original query. I have 1 lifeline group 24 battery (I'm planning to add a second one in March) that is rated at 80 amps. I use a Honda EU3000is generator to charge the battery when needed and to power the AC (it works great!). I would like to use the Fantastic vent (model 6000RBTA) at night for the noise and the airflow. I'm planning to add a second FV that will replace the front roof vent/fan and I would like to use both vents at night. I don't mind running the generator for a couple of hours during the day to charge the battery or run the AC to cool off the AS, but I like running the vent fan for airflow. Most of the camping we currently do are at various music festivals where we are not plugged into shore power and have to use our onboard water, so the less I run the generator the better. With 2 lifeline batteries I should be able to get a couple of days out of the batteries before I need to recharge them.

Thanks for the help!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote