Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Lightbulb Factory inverter

The newer factory inverter installation uses a dedicated circuit for inverter power. The outlets have a blue label identifying them. Has anyone connected that circuit to shore power using a transfer switch?
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Why would you do this? All the inverter outlets in the factory package are next to shore powered outlets. So what would you gain?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Why would you do this? All the inverter outlets in the factory package are next to shore powered outlets. So what would you gain?
More outlets, and not having to move plugs from line power to inverter power when you are not hooked up.

To the OP's original question, it could be done with a transfer switch, as you note. It is too bad that the transfer switch already built into the WFCO inverter is not activated and cannot be accessed without opening the unit up (removing rivets etc) and voiding the warrantee. I know, I looked on my 2014 FC 20'. It apparently was an option that Airstream opted out of when specifying the inverter. Even the power cord is in place to use it, but it is not hooked up internally.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Value

I guess 95k for a FC 30 doesn't leave enough room for profit and a transfer switch, not to mention a 3 way converter. The Airstream way requires you to unplug and re-plug the TV and DVD when using the inverter and doing the same when moving to hookups. I installed a WFCO transfer switch when I added an inverter to my Safari. My plan is to put a transfer switch linking shore power to the inverter circuit, and no unplugging of the TV's. Also coming will be a smart converter (and quiet water pump).
Old 08-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Why not just leave the televisions plugged into inverter outlets and run inverter even when on shore power? It's sort of the long way around but I don't think it would hurt anything or use excessive power.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Why not just buy a QUALITY inverter like the Magnum MMS1012 that already has in internal transfer switch, just like all if the other Magnum products ? It also gas a 4-stage automatic charging system........one of the best available.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Switch

Leaving the inverter on would be too simple and not nearly as fun as installing a transfer switch! However, I haven't listened to the factory 1,000 watt unit, but my 400 watt Xantrex inverter could be heard humming when things were really quiet. I have low tolerance for humming noises as well as noisy fans. It reflects casual engineering in my opinion. We'll see how it works next month.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Leaving the inverter on would be too simple and not nearly as fun as installing a transfer switch! However, I haven't listened to the factory 1,000 watt unit, but my 400 watt Xantrex inverter could be heard humming when things were really quiet. I have low tolerance for humming noises as well as noisy fans. It reflects casual engineering in my opinion. We'll see how it works next month.
'Casual engineering'? It reflects CHINESE engineering!

Magnums are engineered and built in the USA.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
simi valley , California
If you have the factory inverter it has built in transfer switch it was one of the first things I hooked up it took only 1 hour skill level easy my inverter had a line cord already installed
Rick stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick stream View Post
If you have the factory inverter it has built in transfer switch it was one of the first things I hooked up it took only 1 hour skill level easy my inverter had a line cord already installed
Unfortunately, the factory inverter even with power cord on mine does not have the internal transfer switch hooked up, even though it looks like it is all set up for that feature. A careful reading of the WFCO manual shows that the switch is an "option" and at least on mine, does not operate. I sure wish it did. I tried.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote