Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Exterior outlet

I need some help on replacing the weatherproof outlet cover Thought it would be easy but not so for this brain. Tried taking the screws out but that does nothing. Tried really pulling on the outlet but that does nothing I then noticed the tabs where the screws are, but I can not get them to rotate out of the way. In the process of doing all this, now the cover is really messed up and the gasket is also no good. Tried doing a search but can not find anything on this. Any info will be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Bob

Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Got a picture?

Chris

Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
A picture as requested,

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ext_outlet.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	82715  
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
the cover should come off if you unscrew it from where you would plug in (under the cover). looks like you tried to pry it from the back?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Tried taking the screws out but that does nothing. Tried really pulling on the outlet but that does nothing

Thanks, Bob
Yep. that's what I thought! Screws are out, outlet will not budge. Looks to me like the cover fits behind the outlet and then you screw it in as one assembly. The old cover is cracked and comes off. A new cover fits behind the outlet which I can not get out. Here are some more pictures:

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0083.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	82718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0084.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	82719  

Old 06-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Where were the scrws that held it in located? In the two holes on the outlet face? Are the tabs you're talking about something that the screws go into inside the wall? Basically, I'm stumped - I've never seen that type of outlet before. But, can you push the outlet into the wall a bit, and then use a small flat blade screwdriver to try and move the tabs one way or the other? Make sure power is off at the circuit breaker of course - no sense welding your screwdriver to the outlet and wall of the trailer....

Someone more familar with this outlet type should chime in and give you more help.

Chris
Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Where were the scrws that held it in located? In the two holes on the outlet face? Are the tabs you're talking about something that the screws go into inside the wall? Basically, I'm stumped - I've never seen that type of outlet before. But, can you push the outlet into the wall a bit, and then use a small flat blade screwdriver to try and move the tabs one way or the other? Make sure power is off at the circuit breaker of course - no sense welding your screwdriver to the outlet and wall of the trailer....

Someone more familar with this outlet type should chime in and give you more help.

Chris
Hey Chris,

The outlet does not move in or out. The screws are in the lower left and upper rt. holes. The 2 holes in the center on ea. side are not being used. Now unless I'm just not using enough force, I can not figure this out!

Bob
Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
i had a gasket prob with my coax/phone outlet in the rear. the cover was similar. after removing the screws it came out about an inch with a lot of presuasion. problem was AS didn't leave any slack in the wire. that's probably why your outlet isn't moving. once out the cover will come off. good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
If you have an outlet, inside the trailer, next to your door, that is mounted in the cabinet, (mine was low next to the ground) you can remove it to check the wiring system.

The outlet plate has two wings, or tabs, that are threaded on the mounting screws. When the screws are turned in to tighten, the wings rotate to a stopping point that is straight out from the mounting hole, and the screw draws the wing towards the inside of the skin to pull the outlet plate snugly down. Turning the mounting screw out, for removal, the wings or tabs, are backed down, and fold back against the body of the outlet box for removal.

If you have removed these screws, these tabs or wings have dropped down inside of the wall. You may need to visit a hardware store and buy a donor outlet box that is designed for mounting on drywall without a stud nearby, to salvage the wings or tabs to remount your outlet.

The outlet box has a wire termination system that I didn’t like to see. The yellow sheathed Romex 12AWG cable enters on one end of the outlet, is terminated on the back side of the outlet, and exits on the other end of the outlet. The wire connection is covered by a snap-on cover. Under the cover, the Romex will have the sheath cut back, the conductors will have been spread apart, and the insulation removed from the wires for about 1 inch, and the conductors are terminated on a what look to be light duty punch-down connections. Remember the Romex passes through from end to end of this one piece outlet-wallplate combination unit. All of the outlets that are fed off of each circuit breaker, seem to be wired in series, with the Romex being a long loop, passing through one outlet, and a push-on/punch-down connection, on its way to the next outlet.

If your outside outlet is like mine, it is a part of the kitchen GFI circuit, and it is protected by the 20AMP/GFI circuit breaker, in the breaker box.

The Romex passing through the outlet from end to end is holding the outlet box in place, and there is probably no slack in the cable. You will need to push slack into the cabling from inside of the trailer, and if you have the same system as ours, there will be a few feet of random lay power cabling under the cabinets just inside the trailer ahead of the wheel well and aft of the furnace. You will need to remove the bottom of the cabinet, to get access to the furnace and this cabling, and a few screws will remove the panel. I found that to remove the back wall of the cabinet, it was stapled from the backside during construction, I had to use my hammer.

This is one of my pictures showing the plumbing, furnace, and how the cables get into the wall feeding this outlet.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plumbing during construction.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	82739  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Steve,
After much searching, I found out these are special Wirecon outlets. I did finally get the outlet pulled out enough to see how it snaps together in back for holding the wiring in. Either Airstream used a lot of sealant around the outlet or there was some kind of gasket around it on the inside that made it very hard to pull out. I had to cut, tear and push the material away while pulling on the outlet. And yes, the tabs are gone!
The only way to get this fixed is through a dealer. You can not get just the plastic cover, you have to buy the whole outlet with cover What started out as a small fix up (the cover just had some little cracks in it!) sure has turned into one major one!

Thanks everyone for all the help, Bob
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
I have a pending project, where I need to pass an antenna wire through the front of our trailer. I have been looking at outside outlet covers nearly every visit to the local Home Depot, and I just canít imagine something off of the shelf from a local hardware store not working for you. The hole in the aluminum skin is cut quite tight for this outlet, and something standard should be able to fit in its place.

The outlet is of a shallow design and the weatherproof cover mounts on the surface of the aluminum siding. I havenít taken this one apart yet, so I canít say for sure something different will fit.

I made a call to our dealer, and the cover is $15.25 and the outlet is $6.55 plus shipping.

If this was my project, knowing what I know now, ordering a original cover and outlet would be the cleanest best solution, if time allows.

Good Luck
Steve