Old 07-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Newberg , Oregon
Question Exterior lights/ Running, stop, etc.

I'm stumped...

All the interior 12v lights work, inverter works, 110v works, furnace, fridge, you name it, works, except: the running lights in the back half, and all other towing lights, i.e. brake, turn, back-up. I went through the panel under the front, cleaning and testing and everything works. Am I missing some link connecting the towing harness from the front to the back? The brakes work too....

Thanks for any input,
Don

p.s. I have a new interior battery, which seems to have nothing to do with what I'm talking about, and I've been testing everything else by using a car battery and alligator clips with a test light. I do have the original schematic for the conversion from round pole to flat and have wired accordingly.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Not absolutely sure, but some old SOBs use the trailer ball for the ground return on running and brake lights. You might try connecting a jumper wire (or battery jumper cable) between the bumper of your tow vehicle and the tongue or chassis of your Airstream, to see if that corrects the problem. If it does -- no problem; you should be OK.

Even if your Airstream is hitched to your tow vehicle, the electrical connection through the ball/hitch may be poor. Jump up and down on your bumper/trailer tongue to see if this helps.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

1967 26' Overlander
Newberg , Oregon
Thanks,
I'll give it a try. I've been running the ground and electrical off a separate battery so I'm not too optimistic, but at this point...
Thanks again,
Don
... is there a separate ground for the back half?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The skin of the trailer is the ground/common side of the circuit. Do you have tail lights, brake lights etc.? Is it just the marker lights that don't work?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

1967 26' Overlander
Newberg , Oregon
Thanks for the info., but no, nothing works. Tail lights, running lights, reverse, etc. The running lights on the front work and I get power through the splices under the curb side panel... but from there, nothing.
Do the wires run under the trailer, inside the sheathing, or do they run through the walls?
Thanks,
Don
Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

1988 29' Excella
Columbus , Georgia
Tail lights

I also have a problem with my wiring. My right tail light assembly does not work, and my tag light is only getting 3 volts. My question is how do you access the wiring harness for repair/replacement?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

1967 26' Overlander
Newberg , Oregon
Seeger,
I found with mine, a 1967, that the right taillight assembly unscrewed from the body exposing all of the rear running light wires. Unfortunately for me, the wires appear to have been laid between the frame and the floor (the main 12v. line off the converter as well) and through the years it had rubbed through the wires. When I pulled the light and gave a gentle tug to the wires, they all came out... bummer... but what a relief to finally know what was going on! I then ran a new line along the bottom of the camper and spliced into all the wires and presto! Lights! If in the future I'm really ambitious, I'll take the skin off the bottom and run the lights through there.
Hope that helps,
Don
Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The wires to the rear run under the belly pan, along the frame rail and then up between the inner and outer skins, at least it did on my 68. The marker lights in the rear all run of of one hot wire which goes from light to light, the skin of the trailer is the ground. On my 68 TW the wire came up thru the floor on the curb side just inside the rear hatch. I had the bath out when I saw all this. There was a panel under the trailer where the wires from the umbilical connected with the trailer wires. First I would see if you have such a panel in the belly pan and start from there checking voltage. Somewhere there is a bad connection, if you are luck it will be easy get to. Another thought, my trailer plug was not wired correctly. Make sure that the plug on the umbilical and the plug on your truck are wired the same. I replaced the old 6 pin with the new style flat blade plug when I changed out my umbilical. I wanted to have the ability to tow the trailer with another T.V.(in case I had truck trouble someday) so I wired the trailer to the new standard.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote