Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2004, 03:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Lightbulb Exterior Light???

No manual so please excuse this question if it too obvious. THere is a round light on the rear of my '75 Tradewind about 3/4" in dia. When I am plugged into shore power it illuminates? should it???
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
If it is anywhere near the breaker box, I would say NO.

Most, if not all Airstreams have a power polarity light. If it illuminates, it means the receptacle your shore power line is plugged into is wired incorrectly.

Can you post a picture of the light?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Lightbulb Exterior Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
If it is anywhere near the breaker box, I would say NO.

Most, if not all Airstreams have a power polarity light. If it illuminates, it means the receptacle your shore power line is plugged into is wired incorrectly.

Can you post a picture of the light?

Tom
My fisrt thought it is a ground problem. I am replacing a section of the floor where the wire runs for this So I will be checking that soon. Cold out there this AM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02294.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	9539  
Old 11-26-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Exterior Light???

Greetings balrgn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
My fisrt thought it is a ground problem. I am replacing a section of the floor where the wire runs for this So I will be checking that soon. Cold out there this AM!
Your photo is definitely of a Polarity Light. When I have had problems with this light illuminating it has typically been when the outlet being utilized wasn't wired properly, but in one instance with a coach that had recently been acquired it was the replacement plug-end on the trailer cord that was causing the problem - - the technician who repaired the wiring on my coach also indicated that he had seen instances where a replacement power supply cord had been wired into the coach incorrectly and caused the light to illuminate as well.

As a double-check for the Polarity Light, I now carry outlet testers in each of my coaches that will identify outlets with problems.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My trailer doesn't have one. Sad.

Is there a schematic for this, and can I build one?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
My trailer doesn't have one. Sad.

Is there a schematic for this, and can I build one?

Mine was on the top of the fuse box. You could look though the cargo access and see it.

I too am interestd in how to wire one up for the outside that is easier to see. The original fuse box was only two circuits and I plan to replace it with a box with more circuits so I can isolate lighting from outlets and add a A/C circuit.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
The original fuse box was only two circuits and I plan to replace it with a box with more circuits so I can isolate lighting from outlets and add a A/C circuit.
Eric,

I wondered what that light was for. I guess I can take the wiring and ? out of the old box and use that.

What are you planning for wiring? I was going to put in a 12 space 50a panel for the 120/240, and a 12 fuse DC panel. I know there are some combined units available, but haven't checked prices.

I'm using aluminum armored cable for the 120 vac, to avoid having to put in lots of grommets.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
A polarity light is a 110VAC lamp that is wired to the natural and ground. If the outlet is wired correct that it is plugged into, the lamp will not light. IF the hot and neutral are reversed it will light.
When I get to the wiring of my trailer I will put in a polarity light also.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Thanks Tedd,

Pretty obvious, now that I think about it.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...I was going to put in a 12 space 50a panel for the 120/240, and a 12 fuse DC panel...
Don,

Out of curiosity, why a 50 amp panel? Is it just to run a microwave & air conditioner simultaneously?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Lightbulb Exterior Light

Quote:
Don,

Out of curiosity, why a 50 amp panel? Is it just to run a microwave & air conditioner simultaneously?

Tom
I'll let anyone know how it is wired when I get that part of the project completed. Looks pretty simple. The wiring need some attention.

At this point I am tearing out my rear bath. Found water damage behind the shower and along the rear wall. I have a website where I post my progress if anyone is interested.
http://home.comcast.net/~balrgn/Airs...oject_2004.htm
Old 11-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Don,

Tom
Plans are for A/C, microwave, inverter/charger, hair dryer (wife says a must), supplemental space heater, hot rod water heater, refrigerator . . . .

It adds up pretty quick. I don't plan to put in all this stuff, but while the walls are out I want to put in wiring for all the current and future options. I figure it's cheaper to do it once.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Don,

That is the problem with it, it looks too easy. The first thing I was taught as a maintenance tech was... "Is it pluged in..."
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Don you have the right idea wiring it all up for whatever you decide to add and I'ld over size all wire one size. How about 12v to the step for future electric step, exterior AC outlets (lots of uses), 12volt wire to front and back underside for electric jacks and mood lights, backup lights low under the rear bumper, and wire to the rear of trailer above the rear window for power and coaxial and composite RCV for that camera you may want someday for going down the road and seeing behind you with one of these http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...424985,00.html. Dont forget the coaxial to the sleeping lounge for future TV, and Cat 5 for the Laptop to plug into your onboard network (unless you're wireless). I almost missed that one myself.

And wire the travel lights so you can turn them on at the campground to find your trailer after happy hour. Alittle extra now will go a long way later. I am doing the electric step for sure. I don't have one at all and the d... thing on the other AS tries to get me everytime I let it out.

I love to wire.

As for the polarity, always check the power supply "before" you plug in. One of those standards most of us don't bother with after a long drive.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We had the same issue - but our light was at the breaker box - it turned out that the extension cord our trailer cord was plugged into that was further plugged into the house outside plug....was one of Hubby's early day wiring projects - replacing the plug end - he had reversed it.

If it were not for TCwilliams and a few other great wiring gurus here we would have still been scratching our heads at that little (red) light - we actually thought it was telling us everything was a okay that power was being supplied
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Eric,

I wondered what that light was for. I guess I can take the wiring and ? out of the old box and use that.

What are you planning for wiring? I was going to put in a 12 space 50a panel for the 120/240, and a 12 fuse DC panel. I know there are some combined units available, but haven't checked prices.

I'm using aluminum armored cable for the 120 vac, to avoid having to put in lots of grommets.
I need to sit down and finalize. There are few enough lights that I could put all on one 15amp circuit but I think I want too put them on two. That way if I loose one circuit I am not completely in the dark. One Circuit for A/C, one for Galley, one for curb side that the microwave and Fridge will share. One for the Gaucho (only reason is thats where the current A/C is). So I think a 6 circuit will do...Hmmmm No need to put the 12v intella charger so I need 7. Might as well go 8 then and put a AUX line in behind the Wardrobe. I can surface mount a cable from the Fuse box to the galley if I ever need anything on that side.

Heck a 12 doesn't sound out of line at all I could see 10 circuits if I put the Reefer on its own and a 110v water heater circuit.

12V I need a circuit for Water pump or Grover. Reefer, wardrobe for Stereo and 12 cig plug next to microwave. one to the heater location for blower and 12v plug for galley area. 12 v to forward Gaucho sconces, over head for light and two vent fans. 8 gage feed from front charge receptacle that was factory to the battery. Thinking Circuit breakers or possibly a marine pannel like this. HellaUsa

Now the fun is my ceiling and inside end caps were never removed. Only the bottom course so I could access the U-Channel. I am going to attempt to pull all these new circuits by only working through the vent openings and over head light. I may reuse some of the old 110v wiring as as 12v.

Near as I can tell there are very few grommets if I go up through the ceiling. The Ribs are all close to the vent openings where I would run into most of the grommets. I am going to replace the rubber with a hard plastic grommet. 40 year old rubber grommets don't sound long for the world.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Electric rewiring

Eric,

I think I might try the Iota products. Unless someone has negative comments. http://www.iotaengineering.com/idp240.htm
They make a 50a 120V panel and a compatible 12V panel. Prices seem reasonable.

The original wiring in the overhead is nothing to be proud of. I took mine all out. I might re-use some of the grommets for 12V wiring.

Here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00007.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	9559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00011.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	9560  

Name:	DSC00013.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	9561  
Old 11-27-2004, 06:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I like those Iota's, make a nice set. Thanks
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Question Polarity Light? What polarity light?

So, what is the likelihood that my 1972 25' Trade Wind has a polarity light hidden somewhere and I just haven't discovered it yet? Were these 'standard issue' or options? What is the importance of ensuring we have the correct polarity hook-up? Thanks.
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Exterior Light???

Greetings TMiller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMiller
So, what is the likelihood that my 1972 25' Trade Wind has a polarity light hidden somewhere and I just haven't discovered it yet? Were these 'standard issue' or options? What is the importance of ensuring we have the correct polarity hook-up? Thanks.
Your '72 Tradewind should have one as standard equipment. These polarity lights were added as standard equipment in the early '60s - - possibly in '64 when the Univolt became a standard feature - - I know that my '64 Overlander had one from the factory and its function was described in the owner's manual. They still may be used in the new coaches, but I do know that they were still a standard feature in the late 1970s as my '78 Minuet has one as part of its standard equipment.

It is a VERY small lamp that is typically mounted very near where the electric service enters the coach or near the 120-Volt AC Fuse/Circuit breaker box depending upon Vintage of the coach. On my '64 Overlander, the polarity lamp is mounted to a panel near the Univolt's original location in the One Stop Service Compartment. On my '78 Minuet the lamp is mounted to the side panel of the coach - - just below eye-level on the street-side near the utility entrance point for the coach.

The lamp provides a valuable service as you know if it is illuminated there is a possibility that the skin of the coach is being electrically charged. There is also a potential of damaging polarity sensitive devices in the coach if the lamp is illuminated.

Good luck with your search for the lamp on your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote