Old 03-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We can go 5 days boondocking with 2 AGM 6v golfcart batteries, running the furnace about 50% of the day, lights, radio. No loss of power with the batteries, still reading good after 5 days. We have done it several times. We could go 4 days under similar circumstances with regular golf carts. We sold those with the previous trailer and they were 12 years old. We have a generator but haven't used it yet.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
2014 27' FB Classic
Katy , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
One Night with Everything On

We have a 2014 27FB Classic with two solar panels. We boondock frequently and watch TV and use our computers a lot. Without solar, we would only be able to go one day comfortably in our heavy usage scenario. With the daily solar replenishment, power is not a constraint and gray water capacity is our biggest concern. Of course, if we go through a long stretch with no sun, then we would have to take the usual conservation measures.

demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by timhortons View Post
I was told this is a marine-type lead acid wet cell not a car-starter type battery, you can go to near full discharge, which I think is like 10V.? . I plan to use the heck out of mine and perhaps get an AGM to replace when they junk. They'll be toast in 3 -4 years anyways, so why not USE them hard.

The propane alarm won't go bezerk till 5V apparently.

Do that a few times and you can be sure that you have permanently damaged the battery. NO BATTERY that I am aware of, including the new lithiums, can be drawn down to that voltage level.

50% depth of discharge varies widely by battery manufacturer, from 11.9 VDC for some wet cells to 12.2 for Lifeline AGMs. It's true that you can do a deep discharge on some batteries, provided that they are IMMEDIATELY recharged completely.

Perhaps you were given this information to bring you back to the vendor sooner than later after your battery fails prematurely from excessive discharge????

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
These deep cycle batteries can go to zero and brought back. In the golf cart industry it's common for technicians in the north to use a discharge machine and bring the batteries to zero in the fall - then put them on full charge and they sit all winter. Then prior to use put them on full charge and let them go out. Was in this business for years and we did it on our leased cars every year - batteries lasted four to five years by doing this.

I DO NOT let it happen in my AS however, I try not to let them go below 12v, dual solar panels have kept them at 12 or above all winter while in storage.

We can go up to three days boondocking just about the way we do when hooked up, aside from TV which we do not turn on even though we have a 1,000 W inverter. We do use the internet and charge phones while boondocking

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What Lew said. Even automotive LioNs don't use all the top or bottom capacity in the interest of longevity. (assuming proper engineering and not marketing to the longest distance on a charge).

For example, the Volt. When the dash gauge says 0%, the battery is really at a 20% state of charge. When it says 100%, it is really at an 80% state of charge. For long life the top and bottom 20% of capacity should not be used.

LA is the same, only it should be kept at 50% to 100% state of charge, as much as possible.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Problem is, Paice, that most of the "marine deep cycle" batteries aren't deep cycle. They are a hybrid of cranking batts and deep cycle.....meaning the plates are more dense than cranking batts, but more spongelike than deep cycle....for performance reasons (CCA vs. reserve amps)

Cranking batts and "Marine deep cycle" batts' plates will shed lead when deeply discharged, whereas true deep cycle are more immune to shedding.

We need to distinguish between the two, and I haven't researched how far a discharge for true deep cycles is prudent, but I'd wager it isn't a flat state of charge.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Three to four days with the factory supplied group 24s. Not being a conservation fanatic. Using the trailer as intended.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
The longest we have gone out boondocking is 5 days, but we made the five days with three kids that go in and out none stop and sometimes leave the old school light bulbs on. All on one battery, no generator. We did have a spare battery in the bed of the pick up just in case. Their are some advantages to having the vintage amenities to suck the battery dry

We do do all our cooking out doors and hang out outside unless its bucketing down rain so I am sure that helps lessen the power consumption.

We've never actually ever gone plug in camping so having energy efficient habits deeply engrained helps. We have just switched the trailer over to all LED interior bulbs so we should be able to do longer in the future

1969 Safari
thesignlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
LEDs seem to make a big difference.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I should have qualified my 3.5 50% state of charge;

2 X group 29 Interstates @ 125 aH to a 50% state of charge.
All LED lighting
no TV running
Using water pump for normal water needs including showers (X2)
fridge cooling fans (X3) running most of the time.