Old 03-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Miami , Florida
Elementary, please...

I have read posts upon posts regarding hooking up to electric, maintaining electric, and being safe about it. I have copied and pasted such information to my word documents (for further studying and integrating it all into my brain). But I must say that most of it is still too technical for me. Please remember as I write this post that I have never installed or fixed 'anything' electrical, ANYWHERE/ANYTIME. So, with this said can somebody please put it all in as simplest terms as possible.

I have a '69 Safari. I need to connect to a power source to check if everything is working. After that, I need to get the trailer ready for traveling. I've read about converters/inverters/connectors/adapters/batteries, and I'm kind of getting it, but I'm still afraid to take the first step for fear of damaging something up. I went as far as to try and find an adapter for the old prongs on the trailer's power cord, but haven't found it yet. My trailer does not have a battery. From what I gathered so far, I will need a battery. The numbers (i.e. voltage, watts,etc.) are still confusing to me. Mind you, I've read so much that the more I read, the more information I absorb and go into brainmelt.

Here waiting in the Electronics Elementary School classroom with paper and no.2 pencil handy...

Daisy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Daisy,

You probably need someone local to give you a jumpstart (pun completely intended). Once you see a few of the principles applied the first time, you'll know how really easy electrical is. I hope a local member can pay you a visit. If you PM me with your phone number (or Skype name, if you have one), I would be glad to call you and talk you through a few concepts.

Roger

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Daisy2

I'd definately recommend checking out this site:

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

They cover batteries and trailer power pretty good.

Of course Trailer 101 on theVAP might be helpful as well.

http://www.thevap.com/content/view/75/82/
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Miami , Florida
Thanks, Roger. I would really appreciate it. There is a kind local member who offered to help me, but I would be driving over to him (preferrably with the trailer), and I plan to do that, just have to go through the process of renting a vehicle to tow the trailer and ask my dad (super ACE truck driver who knows his stuff) to come with me for I've never towed anything before.

But until then, I would like to learn some things now since the trailer is sitting right outside my window. I do have Skype (I'll send you a PM).
Old 03-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Miami , Florida
Thanks, Tim. I shall check out these sites...
Old 03-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Very cool Tim...thanks for the link to the VAP podcast...listening to it as I type....I think the Trailer 101 course will come in very helpful here also. Kudos to you...Thanks! Ann
Old 03-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy2
The numbers (i.e. voltage, watts,etc.) are still confusing to me.
Daisy, I have tried to explain this at Post number 26 in
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ance-4073.html?
Nick.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Miami , Florida
Thanks, Nick. I just found the post and copied/pasted to my word document where I have a bundle of information I picked up from this forum that will help me immensely with my Silver House. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy2
I have read posts upon posts regarding hooking up to electric, maintaining electric, and being safe about it. I have copied and pasted such information to my word documents (for further studying and integrating it all into my brain). But I must say that most of it is still too technical for me. Please remember as I write this post that I have never installed or fixed 'anything' electrical, ANYWHERE/ANYTIME. So, with this said can somebody please put it all in as simplest terms as possible.

I have a '69 Safari. I need to connect to a power source to check if everything is working. After that, I need to get the trailer ready for traveling. I've read about converters/inverters/connectors/adapters/batteries, and I'm kind of getting it, but I'm still afraid to take the first step for fear of damaging something up. I went as far as to try and find an adapter for the old prongs on the trailer's power cord, but haven't found it yet. My trailer does not have a battery. From what I gathered so far, I will need a battery. The numbers (i.e. voltage, watts,etc.) are still confusing to me. Mind you, I've read so much that the more I read, the more information I absorb and go into brainmelt.

Here waiting in the Electronics Elementary School classroom with paper and no.2 pencil handy...
Hi dasiy nice to see another 69 sarfari on the forums. just my 2 cents worth I you have an A/S dealer near by you might drop in and talk to the shop manager they might be able to explain some things Imight even look for electrical classes at a jr. college depending on how much eletrical info you want to gain. If there are any questions related to the 69 sarfari that I can help with you can P.M. me. Carl
Old 03-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
Daisy
The plug on your trailer is most likely a large three prong plug rated 30 amperes. A std plug to plug in at home is a 15 amp plug. Any camping store and maybe a good hardware has an adapter plug that will allow you to plug your 30 amp plug into a 15 plug. Cost from $2 -$5. You can then see if 1) your 110 plugs in the trailer work 2) your converter works and is producing 12 volts for the lights in your trailer
You don't need a battery if your working on the trailer at home. You need the battery when camping where no power is available and TO APPLY THE BRAKES IF trailer is disconnected from car when towing.
You can test the appliances off 110 at home, NO AC which requires more current.
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker
Hi dasiy nice to see another 69 sarfari on the forums. just my 2 cents worth I you have an A/S dealer near by you might drop in and talk to the shop manager they might be able to explain some things Imight even look for electrical classes at a jr. college depending on how much eletrical info you want to gain. If there are any questions related to the 69 sarfari that I can help with you can P.M. me. Carl
There is an A/S dealer about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. I might pay them a visit this weekend. Thanks for the offer to PM you, Carl, I probably will very soon. Just to test if everything is working, do I need to buy a battery? I heard if you don't have a battery, the electric will short circuit.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmissar
You don't need a battery if your working on the trailer at home. You need the battery when camping where no power is available and TO APPLY THE BRAKES IF trailer is disconnected from car when towing.
You can test the appliances off 110 at home, NO AC which requires more current.
Paul
Oh, I just read your message 'after' I asked if I needed battery (sorry).
Good to know this, I'll drop in at the hardware store today for the plug. Home Depot didn't have one.