Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
First let me say I truly appreciate all of you on the forum. The knowledge and experience you share with fellow Airstreamers is a tremendous resource.

Second let me say....The problem has been diagnosed!!!! Airstream drove a screw into a hot wire while installing the support bracket for my Winegard antennae. Camper Clinic will take a picture of it tomorrow and email it to Airstream to ask them how they would like to handle it.

If you still want to read on I'll tell you the chain of events leading up to it being diagnosed this evening............

I drove out to Camper Clinic this evening to talk with them about my trailer and to have them show me how they planned to access and check the hot wire in the ceiling without removing the center panel.

After I got there we discussed a few things and I suggested we ohm the plug to see if everything was hooked up correctly. When they did this they couldn't get a proper reading from any combination of hot/neutral or hot/ground connections on the 30 amp male plug.

I then drove home and got a call from them about an hour later. They said after I left their shop they decided they really needed to get this figured out and went back inside to discover the GFI breaker had tripped again. So they started going through the breaker box one connection at time. Everything looked good. After that they enlarged the hole above the light in the shower stall where the 12 volt lead comes through and they were able to get up there and see that Airstream had actually driven a screw threw one of the hot wires in the ceiling while installing the support bracket for my antennae. They also mentioned that the end of this screw had burned/melted from the electricity and wasn't keeping a constant connection with the hot wire and that's why it was now happening intermittenlty.

Joe
Joe
In post #2 of this thread, that is what I said happened, being that I am not a Warranty station for Airstream, I will bill seperately from the others, LOL.

I'm sure glad you finally found the true cause.

This is really important: once it is repaired have a full test of your wiring performed. Make sure it includes at least a 500VAC Megger check of your wires insulation, 2500volts would be better.
This is the only way to really know if it is fixed.

This is even more important: Make sure all appliances and electrical equipment is disconnected from the trailer wiring before the test. Don't want to damage your equipment.

Good Luck