Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' International
new york , New York
Question Electrical woes

Just started weekending in my new (someone else's old) '84 international. It's parked, blocked and plugged into service about 200 ft down the driveway.

Every weekend, some new electrical issue arises:

Lights that worked don't anymore.
Running on campground power causes the power to go out completely.
Bathroom sink no longer pumps.

I've changed some fuses (20 and a 50) and when the "Battery Charger" light is on with the campground power, all seems well in the world, save for an incredibly annoying buzz.

I wonder if anyone can help out a newbie on this one.

Could there be a problem that I have a 200ft run of extension cord (I use 2 100 foot ext cables)?
Should camp power just runt the airstream or does the charger have to be on as well.

I also have solar panels on top with a "silent charger" indicator on the panel, and I wonder if switchign this on and off could cause a problem.

Anyone with insight into the proper electrical settings, you'd be doing a great favor to someone who is really starting to enjoy his Airstream, but is completely in the dark (no pun intended) when it comes to proper shore power.

Thanks!
'Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hi. The BUZZ is your Univolt, which takes shore power and converts it to 12V's. This charges your battery and runs the 12v accessories in the trailer - like most of your lights and your water pump. The 12v will not work if your "charger" or univolt is not working.

I think it's time for a new univolt. Search univolt and you will find that the Intellipower or Paralax units will fix your woes (AND make for a quieter evening... no buzz sound!). "Bestconverter.com" is one good vendor with prices for forums memebers
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' International
new york , New York
univolt vs extension cord

I found an intellivolt 9100, but am likely going to order the 9200 with the charge wizard (whatever that is...)

Are these things easy to install?

Also, the 2 extension cord, 200ft run from my temp service outlet to the camper can't be helping things - is there a way (short of moving the camper or the service outlet) to get more juice?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You may want to ditch the extension cord and just go with 12/2 coax household wire. Get a 250 foot roll and add heavy inlet/outlet plugs to the ends.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' International
new york , New York
can you explain this a bit more? I build XLR cables (I used to be a sound guy) so I understand the concept, but what's this cable, where can I get it it and what makes it carry the power to the camper better?

Thanks for the quick response - Ohio rules! Spent last thanksgiving there & loved it.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
You may want to ditch the extension cord and just go with 12/2 coax household wire. Get a 250 foot roll and add heavy inlet/outlet plugs to the ends.
At a run of 200' I would consider using 10/2 with ground instead of 12/2. specially if you will be using the air conditioner. 200' will produce a measureable voltage drop due to the internal resistance of the wire.

You can get this wire at any HD or Lowes. Buy a good 3-prong plug and socket, attach to the ends after you roll out your wire and you should be good to go!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Streamer
I found an intellivolt 9100, but am likely going to order the 9200 with the charge wizard (whatever that is...)

Are these things easy to install?

Also, the 2 extension cord, 200ft run from my temp service outlet to the camper can't be helping things - is there a way (short of moving the camper or the service outlet) to get more juice?

Thanks,

Josh
Josh,
I have a Yellow Jacket 10-2 100' extension cord out to my trailer and it takes care of all electrics with the exception of the AC. If you are running 200' of something like 18-3 outdoor extension cord then you may be asking for more than the cord can give you. Are you using a microwave in addition to your charger, lights, fans, etc? Your best bet is to have someone lay in some underground cable and set up a 30 amp RV box. If it is 200' away then you are going to have to run a large wire. Johnhd or others should be of help here suggesting what size wire to run.

I also noticed that you are using solar. What size panel or panels do you have?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I agree with Lew. That is quite a run and might be causing your Univolt to struggle. Go with the good stuff. I'm also surprised your not tripping the breaker at the source as well. That cord must be hot to the touch.
If you must run an exterior extension cord, you can probably find a source for the 30 Amp service cord in bulk but I would run 10/2.
The Inteli-Power is an easy install and you can call me if you have any questions even if you didn't get it from us.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If your running extension cord it's likely 16 gauge and that's to small to carry power over such a distance. Plus, each plug in the cord will cause a minor power bottleneck. You would be better to use just household wiring in one long piece.

Basically your using standard wiring to make a very long extension cord. The larger wire will hand the power better. Don't be tempted to think larger would be even better. You never want to feed 12 gauge with 10 gauge for example.

Some parts photos - from Home Depot. The end plugs should be rated at least 15 amps. Good Luck....

(On edit - note what Craig says above about the A/C - don't try to run it with this setup.)

250' 12-2 UF-B

with Ground

Outdoor Electrical Wire
Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
One other item on the setup above. if the outlet your plugging into has prong slots like this one - go with the cable ends above rated 20 amps. The plug in will have prongs different than pictured above - one will be sideways.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' International
new york , New York
Thanks everyone! This forum is amazing.

Now if you could only come up and empty my black water tank this weekend...first time for me - should be interesting.

I'll get the cable and make the run tomorrow. will report back with the results.

Thanks again and happy trail(er)s!

Josh
Old 07-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Smile RV maintenance 101

From the nature os your questions, I sugest you do a search for RV maintenance at Amazon.com. There are several books (All about the same )that will take you though the basics and provide you with valuable information for as long as you own your RV. Understanding the RV systems make trouble shooting so much easier
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Streamer
Thanks everyone! This forum is amazing.

Now if you could only come up and empty my black water tank this weekend...first time for me - should be interesting.

I'll get the cable and make the run tomorrow. will report back with the results.

Thanks again and happy trail(er)s!

Josh

Your trailer has a 30 amp cable.

If as an example you want to run 10 amps maximum for two hundred feet, the electrical manuals call for a minimum wire size of # 8 and that's only good for 180 feet.

15 amps at 200 feet call for # 6 wire which is good for 190 feet.

20 amps at 200 feet call for # 4 wire which is good for 230 feet.

25 amps at 200 feet call for # 2 wire which is good for 290 feet.

30 amps at 200 feet call for # 2 wire which is good for 240 feet.

12 gauge wire at 200 feet is good for 3.5 amps which is not enough for a univolt.

10 gauge wire at 200 feet is good for 6.0 amps, just enough to power the univolt, and not much else.

8 gauge wire at 200 feet is good for 9 amps.

18 gauge wire at 200 feet is not even in the book.

Invest in the heavier wire and you won't be disappointed.

Running anything electrical except light bulbs, either LED or tungsten, under voltage, is not a good thing.

The above numbers are based on 120 volts AC, single phase and with a 2 percent voltage drop.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Right on Andy - I might add that low voltage increases the current flow and can destroy equipment, A/C being the biggest casualty and high current can cause a fire hazzard
Old 07-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
Right on Andy - I might add that low voltage increases the current flow and can destroy equipment, A/C being the biggest casualty and high current can cause a fire hazzard
Same for a microwave oven.

Hey, it's cold outside.

Just think what a 1800 watt electric heater would do to an 18 gauge extension cord?

That's like fighting a 10 square mile forest fire, with a 1/2 water hose.

Oh well, so much for small stuff.

Andy
Old 07-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Talking

What kind of miles??
Old 07-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
What kind of miles??
Sorry.

You know, the kind that don't make sense, like 50 percent of the fire has been contained.

Who cares?????

How much of it is still burning should be the only subject.

Andy
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Talking

Andy, It's rare we find you in error and never in your valuable contibutions to this forum - gotta work hard to nail you on a minor nothing
Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, It's rare we find you in error and never in your valuable contibutions to this forum - gotta work hard to nail you on a minor nothing
But it's permissive and without taxation.

I have worked long and hard and finally made it (a while back) to becoming a senior citizen.

We have "rights" too, you know.

Making some boo boos, is one of them, just so it doesnt hurt, that is not too much anyways.

Mondays and Fridays are not good days. And those in between aren't much better either.

I made up my mind, thou. I am going home early, chase my favorite lady until I catch her. have dinner, soft lights, soft music, and well, you know the rest.

Taking in an Angels game tomorrow night who play Texas. Oh well, what can you do, everyones not perfect, just a select few.

Buying decent seat tickets Angels tickets are a "REAL" trip. Talk about Airstream parts prices.

Two $52.00 box seat tickets, that are not available from the Angels, but are available from the scalpers, cost $325.00 for two. Of course that includes the handling fees of $41.00 and the shipping cost of $15.00.

Now I know why I stay home to watch the games. I even get to see replays at no charge, plus free pop corn, and don't have to far to walk to get to the bathroom. Whoopie.

But then, you can't enjoy the noisy crowd.

Andy
Old 07-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Talking

I do know the rest - snooring in the recliner - may be aren't as old as me