Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Electrical / Univolt question

I have a new univolt in my '74 Tradewind. How do I know how many amps I can pull from each outlet? That question probably exposes my ignorance about this subject. I have a couple of questions...I want to know if I can run my refridgerator and microwave from the same outlet? And I am putting 110 electric radiant heating pads under my engineered floor and want to know what each circuit can handle. I really don't know where to start except here... where I always get such great help. Thanks, Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Let's take it a step at a time Pam.
Univolts all have dust on them and have not been made for years but we can call them Univolts if we want to since Airstream did for so many years. What you most likely bought was a modern solid state switch mode converter.
Outlets and the Univolt have nothing to do with each other if you mean something you plug your vacuum, microwave, coffee pot or toaster into. Those are AC appliances in most cases as is your heating pads, although I'm not familiar with them or the engineered floor but a very interesting idea and have heard of it.
Most AC circuits will handle 15 or 20 amps depending on the breaker and wiring. You will get some good advice if you stick to it.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
What do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
I have a new univolt in my '74 Tradewind. How do I know how many amps I can pull from each outlet? That question probably exposes my ignorance about this subject. I have a couple of questions...I want to know if I can run my refridgerator and microwave from the same outlet? And I am putting 110 electric radiant heating pads under my engineered floor and want to know what each circuit can handle. I really don't know where to start except here... where I always get such great help. Thanks, Pam
Hi Pam,

It would help a lot to know exactly what type of converter (Univolt) you have. Also remember that the converter's job is to turn 120VAC (house current) into 12VDC for lights and other 12V requirements. It really has noting to do with the capacities of your 120VAC electrical system.

I would suggest that you look at your circuit breakers and log how many and what size (15 or 20 amp) that you have and realize that you don't have all that much capacity in a '74 unless it has been re-wired.

You should also determine that wattage or amp draw of each appliance that you want to use and realize that several outlets will be wired to one circuit breaker. This limits your ability to run several large-draw appliances on the same circuit. Also, as a guideline, a 15 amp circuit has about 1600-1800 watts of electricity available, so if you have a 1500 watt microwave on that circuit......it is just about maxed out!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Lew and Overlander, Thanks for helping me think this through. I can't look at the trailer right now because it is in the cabinet shop. I think it is an Intelipower converter I have, and of course it wouldn't have anything to do with the electrical systems! This may seem simple, but it is all new to me and you must speak very slowly to me . I will look to see what the fridge and the heating pads draw...

BTW, Lew did you escape the gorge before the ice storms??
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
Lew and Overlander, Thanks for helping me think this through. I can't look at the trailer right now because it is in the cabinet shop. I think it is an Intelipower converter I have, and of course it wouldn't have anything to do with the electrical systems! This may seem simple, but it is all new to me and you must speak very slowly to me . I will look to see what the fridge and the heating pads draw...

BTW, Lew did you escape the gorge before the ice storms??
Pam,

I've been in FL since late Sept. I've been following the weather back there....not a pretty site!!! Stay warm & dry!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote