Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Newark , Ohio
Electrical Supply for Oxygen Concentrator

I may have this topic in the wrong sub-forum but it seemed to fit here the best. In order for us to travel with our AS, we need to take a medical oxygen concentrator along for use at night for my husband. The label states it draws 30 amps. Can we use it in the AS by plugging into an outlet or does it have to have an outside source of power? If we had an air conditioner, could we operate both at the same time? Neither of us have alot of electrical knowledge - only enough to question whether it will work!
Crazy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am sure you misread the label and it says 3 amps, not 30. Am I correct?

At 3 amps, it will work just fine when at a campground with the normal hookups available there, even with the AC unit running.

Now, boondocking, without hookups is a different matter, it would take too much power over too long a time to operate even with an inverter, if left running overnight.

However, there are 12 volt oxygen generators which take less power, but I don't know their requirements or initial cost.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Newark , Ohio
You are correct. My husband double checked and it is 3.0 amps. My bifocals failed me again!
Crazy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hi Grace
You might want to consider this: Ask your supplier if they have the concentrator that also fills portable tanks. If so, get several of the portables along with a CONSERVATOR not concentrator this way on the conservator (providing he is NOT on low flow) you could do it this way and NOT run the concentrator during the night. Have his Oxygen saturation checked to see if he can tolerate this method.
With this set-up, you will not have the noise or heat generated by the CONCENTRATOR. Have your supplier instruct you on this method.
Mike Retired RT
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote