Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Macon , Georgia
Electrical Shorepower Question

Hello,
I just recently purchased a used airstream and still trying to learn how to operate it. I purchased a 30-15 adaptor so I can plug it to my house outlet and use the fridge and keep the battery charged. After a couple of times of doing that, I noticed that none of the lights were coming on and I couldn't get the fridge on. The only unit with power was the microwave. I took the battery to autozone and it was low on charge. I looked at the electrical connector and one of the three places looked like it had ran hot. See picture attached. I spoke with an electrician in the phone and he said some adapters tend to cause that. Can anyone suggest what I need to do now and whether there is any significant damage beyond a new connector or possibly a damaged fuse.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	267714  
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
hope for the best

I am hoping that you did NOT plug that line into a household type plug....like a dryer outlet. Those outlets are 220 and will fry your electrical system and ruin your appliances. 35 AMP RV power uses the same looking plug, like you have here. Do some checking, but I am not feeling good about this by the way the plug looks.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I am hoping that you did NOT plug that line into a household type plug....like a dryer outlet. Those outlets are 220 and will fry your electrical system and ruin your appliances. 35 AMP RV power uses the same looking plug, like you have here. Do some checking, but I am not feeling good about this by the way the plug looks.
I have never seen an RV plug that looked like that, but the pin configuration looks right for a 120 Volt, 30 Amp RV connector and if you look closely at the picture it says right on the plug, "30 A, 120 V". The burned pin on the plug could be because of a loose fitting adapter.

If the 12 Volt battery is dead the lights won't work because they run off of 12 V. The refrigerator control board also runs off of 12 V so that may be the reason the refrigerator isn't working.

As for what to do next, I would suggest rounding up a friend who knows something about RV electrical systems to have a look at it. It's hard to troubleshoot electrical problems by remote control. There's no substitute for a pair of eyes on the problem that know what they are looking at.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy! Welcome aboard!

Depending upon the length of the 15 amp extension cord and the "load" applied, you may be lucky you found this.

If you are NOT competent, (not comfortable and knowledgeable about a topic, electricity in this case) have a pro help you.... Here are some things to check.. Again, the risk is yours!!

Since you are dealing with a "new" Airstream, a good serious look at the electrically is in order.

The end of your cord has been replaced. Perhaps the previous owner replaced the original due to overheating... Happens.

So, the first thing is to replace the cord end... Again.

Next, before plugging in, check the junction box where the cord enters the trailer...(it is in the port aft corner accessible thru the rear storage hatch). Look for a typical steel electrical junction box... Make sure the connections are in good shape.

Inspect where the cord enters the "storage tray" then the trailer. If frayed, I would replace.

Next, check the connections inside the distribution panel (breaker box).. Make SURE the AC cord is NOT plugged in... Then check inside the box..

When electrician gets there, ask him/her to check your house side power too.

These overheat for a REASON... Let us know what you learn.

Be careful so we can read another post.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
If the plug pin was loose in the adapter, it would arc and do this. Also, a loose wire clamp on the plug inside can cause this as will. A very slight twist to the blades or the adapter socket conductors will help improve the connection. If your adapter is not plugged directly into an outlet, but into an extension cord, make sure that cord is rated for at least 15 amps, preferably 20 amps.

Also, when connecting to shore power, check the battery isolation switch, to ensure the batteries are online so they will charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First thing you have to do is replace the male plug, the one in your hand, on the umbilical cord. It is toast. Get rid of the adapter as it's insides are most likely just as bad. The cheap Chinese adapters often have poor connections inside. That was caused by a POOR connection between the adapter and the plug or a POOR connection within the adapter itself. A poor connection will cause a resistance and cause heat t be produced at that point.

Do it right. Have a receptacle installed and have a disconnect switch at the receptacle. Turning the receptacle off each time before plugging in or removing the cord from the receptacle. That prevents the arcing that over time will destroy the hot prong on the cord and in the receptacle.

While it will not meet code if you only wire the receptacle with less than #10 wire as long as you have the wire fused correctly you won't burn the house down. This will support the battery charger and frig but don't ever use the AC with this set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	267729  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Reza, I agree with the post above and suggest that you replace the male end of the cord. It has been damaged and this will, no doubt, cause issues if you continue to use it.

After that, my suggestion is to get a new adapter, a good one. I had used a very cheap adapter on my older trailer. One day I noticed that it was quite warm, hot almost, after I had been using it at my house. I went out, got a new adapter and it has never acted like that again.

Putting on a new male connector is pretty easy if you have average handyman skills. If you don't feel comfortable, take your extension cord into a shop and have them put it on. Any RV shop can do this.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Hello,
I just recently purchased a used airstream and still trying to learn how to operate it. I purchased a 30-15 adaptor so I can plug it to my house outlet and use the fridge and keep the battery charged.
Welcome.

Lots of people do what you're doing. You did it right, but had a cord end that was corroded or loose. This is a common problem.

Quote:
Can anyone suggest what I need to do now
Replace the burnt connector in your photo with a new one, available at most home centers, RV dealers, and hardware stores. You'll want to strip back the wires enough to remove any corroded copper or visibly damaged insulation. It's not a difficult job, but if you're uncomfortable with it, you can get an RV tech, electrician, or handyperson to do it for you.

Inspect your adapter, and replace it too if it's damaged. They're cheap.

Quote:
and whether there is any significant damage beyond a new connector or possibly a damaged fuse.
I doubt very much if anything was damaged besides the cord end and adapter.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
The OP said that an adapter was used. I don't think it's useful to make this a bigger deal than it is just because you are "not feeling good" about it. This is an electrical problem, not a psychology lab.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Do it right. Have a receptacle installed and have a disconnect switch at the receptacle. Turning the receptacle off each time before plugging in or removing the cord from the receptacle. That prevents the arcing that over time will destroy the hot prong on the cord and in the receptacle.
A disconnect switch isn't necessary except for 50a outlets (for which it is required for reasons beyond the scope of this thread). It typically costs hundreds of dollars to have an electrician out to install a 30a outlet, and isn't a necessary expense or something that most Airstreamers do.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
You need a new plug on your trailer cord! It is very common to have overheating problems with the 30 to 15 amp adapters, try and find one that makes as good of contact with the prongs as possible. Also FIY it is asking for overheating problems to try and pull more than 10 amps through your common household outlets even though they are rated for 15 amps. It is possible to find high quality household outlets that grip the prongs tightly and minimize overheating but you will pay for it, try "hospital grade" or heavy duty power tool grade if you need to replace the home outlet you want to plug the adapter into.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
If the plug pin was loose in the adapter, it would arc and do this. Also, a loose wire clamp on the plug inside can cause this as will. A very slight twist to the blades or the adapter socket conductors will help improve the connection. If your adapter is not plugged directly into an outlet, but into an extension cord, make sure that cord is rated for at least 15 amps, preferably 20 amps.

Also, when connecting to shore power, check the battery isolation switch, to ensure the batteries are online so they will charge.

Tom
TVKetchum
Thanks. Where is the battery isolation switch. I thought the battery would charge automatically when plugged to shore power.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Macon , Georgia
Thanks for all the replies. Got a new battery and the lights and power jack work so I'm hoping everything else is fine once I plug in to an RV outlet somewhere.
Got an electrician to look at it and he suggested what everyone else has said which is to replace the connector plug. He could not find the circuit breaker box however which kind of surprised me. We looked in the rear driver side section and he found what may be called a junction box but not circuit breakers. He thought a previous owner may have removed them. Does that make any sense?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
While it is possible that a previous owner removed the circuit breaker box, it would take someone very ignorant or completely crazy to do so. Try to trace the wiring from the power cable you have and find where it goes inside the trailer. The circuit breaker panel should be the first place the power goes, so look close to the point where the power cord enters the trailer shell.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Got a new battery and the lights and power jack work so I'm hoping everything else is fine once I plug in to an RV outlet somewhere.
Cool, you can check it with an adapter at your house, you don't have to wait until you're at a campsite.

Quote:
Got an electrician to look at it and he suggested what everyone else has said which is to replace the connector plug. He could not find the circuit breaker box however which kind of surprised me. We looked in the rear driver side section and he found what may be called a junction box but not circuit breakers. He thought a previous owner may have removed them. Does that make any sense?
I guess nothing involving ill-advised changes to trailer wiring surprises me any more. The breakers are important for safety. If they were removed, new ones should be installed.

Perhaps someone with the same year and model of trailer can comment as to the usual location of the breaker panel. They can be hidden behind stuff, and for some years they are part of the 12v converter.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 AM   #16
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Most battery isolation switches are located near the 12 v fuses, and usually, these are fairly close to the batteries. Our rig, this is under the sofa in front.

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
You didn't mention this as a specific problem, but whenever I connect the Airstream to house power, I find that the weight of the adapter and AS power cable pulls down on the adapter where it is plugged into the wall and tries to unplug it. For the adapter to stay solidly plugged into the wall I need to support it with something so it doesn't have a downward force on it where it plugs into the wall.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
You didn't mention this as a specific problem, but whenever I connect the Airstream to house power, I find that the weight of the adapter and AS power cable pulls down on the adapter where it is plugged into the wall and tries to unplug it. For the adapter to stay solidly plugged into the wall I need to support it with something so it doesn't have a downward force on it where it plugs into the wall.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
The prongs in the receptacle have relaxed and will not hold the plug in place. Replace the receptacle as that issue over time will cause a burn on the prongs of both the plug and the receptacle and cause heat at that connection.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The prongs in the receptacle have relaxed and will not hold the plug in place. Replace the receptacle as that issue over time will cause a burn on the prongs of both the plug and the receptacle and cause heat at that connection.
I have a heavy 50 AMP Cord and plug..whenever I plug in at home or campsite....it takes a bit of force to "seat" the plug into the recepticle... Or I do not use that recepticle... Lesson learned a while back....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote