Old 09-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
I'd add that I found this thread after I was shocked last weekend when touching the door skin and especially at the frame areas (like rear bumper). A constant static electricity feel. Changed my shore power to a known grounded, new construction part of my circa 1932 home (being rewired to code in phases), completely defeating the grounding issue at the trailer. The outlet I'd been using previously had been updated to newer 5-15 outlets, but I suspect no new Romex was run when it was replaced.

In the course of trying to sort this, I rewired my aging 30A shore plug (Marinco, down to Nema 5-15 Edison adapter when at home) after finding that the main service wire was corroded and frayed within the 30A connector. Good thing to keep fresh and tidy anyway!

Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Strange, maybe.
Theory, no.
Proven fact, yes.
Ask any electrical engineer, and they'll be glad to give you too much information. I should know, since I'm an Electrical Designer (not an engineer), and work with this stuff all the time, for many, many years.
If you don't believe the concept, connect a good voltmeter to a solid cold water ground (ie: water heater), and touch it to a neutral of an outlet that is running a heavy load (ie: wash machine). Use common sense when you do it. You'll get 120vac to earth ground, even though the neutral and ground are connected at the breaker panel.
The difference in resistance (only 1-2 ohms) will make the voltage choose the path of least resistance.
If you test it for current (Amps) you'll be surprised that most of the current flows directly to ground, not back to the panel. That can be 10-12 amps for a wash machine.
Don't attempt any of this if you don't know what you're doing. Less than an amp can stop the heart.

edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Here's the first in a series of videos about checking for a "hot skin" electrical fault on your RV, so you don't get shocked (or worse).
Hot Skin RV proximity test full scale - YouTube
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Opelika , Alabama
wow, all this good advice. i thought he was just excited to be travelling in an airstream.

bobnmary is offline   Reply With Quote