Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Castle Rock , Washington
Electrical schematics

Hello, I am in need of Electrical schematic for 1972 31' Land Yacht rear bath center twin, as I don't have a manual. I have wires in driver side closet that terminate five inches to the inside of the wall. One white, one blue that look like 10AWG and two red that look like 12 or 14 AWG. Any help on this would be appreciated!
1dollaryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
2xS
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
If models didn't change much...

This sounds WAY too familiar...
I was an electronics professor... hope I can help!
Your trailer sounds exactly the same as my configuration. Here are the schematics for the interior 12V DC system of the 1971 27-31' International. I have recently redone all of the electrical in my trailer. Assuming the electrical system didn't change completely in 1 year, your blue and white wires are your charge lines, 12V DC and ground respectively which run from your tow connector to your univolt (primarily). From your univolt (which should be in your passenger closet), the charge lines break into various circuits that distribute power to your 12V DC appliances; these circuits should be fused and color coded. In other words, different sections of your trailer should have like colored +12V DC wires connecting to the various appliances e.g. my kitchen is purple, bathroom is yellow etc... Those should be your 2 phantom red wires. You can check by using a multimeter to measure the voltage across each line to test:

V_blue > V_white = 12V
V_red1 >V_white = 12V
V_red2 >V_white = 12V

In my case, I found red wires connecting to the vanity lights that were not labeled on the schematic at all... You'll just need to test them with respect to ground to see what you get, and then decide what to do with them e.g. terminate, add appliance etc...

There is also the strong possibility that there used to be a switch between the 2 red wires, which would mean one red line could be +12V and the other would be 0V, or they could both be 0V and been powered via the blue line. If you find another dead end red line or an appliance with a red connection close by then there was probably a switch there to provide power down the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 interior 12V system.JPG
Views:	1090
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	92310  
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Hmmmmm.

One of the best answers I've ever seen. Love the signature.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
2xS
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
Thank You Mark!

I'm testing to see if I can troubleshoot remotely and break down explanations... I was able to do it in the classroom, but the circuit and person were usually in front of me. I hope my explanation helped solve the problem.

Cheers!
Dennis
Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate "

Means "All hope abandon, ye who enter in", right?

Yeah, words to live by...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
2xS
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
Indeed...
There are various translations, but that is about the gist of it.
It's from The Divine Comedy a.k.a. Dante's Inferno.
In the tail, Dante comes across the inscription "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" above the gates of hell...

Tags
electrical system, wiring