Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Electrical Problems

We had a 220 plug installed on the outside of the garage to plug in the camper. Before the installation, we had it plugged into a 110 plug using an adapter and we only used the lights in the camler, not the heat pump or fridge. When we plugged the camper into the 220, we heard a loud pop in the camper and when we checked it out, the main breaker was blown. We didn't have on anything except the lights and radio which were working fine before trying out the 220 plug. Does this sound like a camper problem or a 220 plug problem? We were to leave for the Canopener Rally on Wednesday, now we have to fix this problem and leave on Thursday instead. Hope this issue doesn't interfere with our trip!! I don't want to go to Destin and then have problems.

WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Your rig is setup for 110VAC not 220VAC unless a PO modified things. The 30 Amp travel trailer plug is sometimes mistaken for a 220 service.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Yep the person who wired the plug, have them come back out and Change the wiring. It should not take long, nor be much labor. There should be enough wires there already. He just needs to disconnect one of hot/power leads and turn it into a neutral lead. Most AS are 110 30 amps, they are wired like a extension cord/s not a house.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Mobile , Alabama
Oops!

I am wrong. Just went out and looked at it. The plug says for travel trailer use only 30 amp 125V. Looked at the breaker in the electrical panel in the house. It also says 30 amp. Hubby will be home from hunting tonight so we'll be trying to get the problem corrected tomorrow if it's something we can do ourselves. Thanks for the input.
WBCCI #10360
Old 12-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Mobile , Alabama
More info

My brother called his friend who is a retired electrician to look at our setup. He put a meter on it and looked at the panel in the house and discovered it was wired as a 220. That's what I was afraid of. When we plugged it in, it fried the breaker. Hope it didn't fry the inverter, too!
WBCCI #10360
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Bettye

There may have been a communication problem with the electrician; Your husband may have asked for a 220v outlet. However, the electrician should have noticed that the plug was for 125v only. The electrical fix may be quite simple. Replace the double pole (220v breaker) with a single pole 30 amp circuit breaker. The white wire then gets connected to the neutral or ground bus bar (just like all the other 125v breakers.

Hopefully, you will only need to replace the circuit breaker in the Airstream. I hope you did not fry the inverter also.

Dan
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Bettye

Sorry about your electrical problems, especially without your husband there. If your inverter has been replaced and plugs into an outlet, you can probably test it by plugging it directly into an extension cord (120v).

I hope this does not impact your Canopener plans (much).

Dan
Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Mobile , Alabama
Thanks

Thanks, Dan. Hubby will be home tonight. I know it looks like a 220 and hubby in all his hurry to go hunting may have said 220. But, even I saw that the plug said 125v. I agree with you. A good electrician should know what he's working with.
WBCCI #10360
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Mobile , Alabama
Bad news

Hubby came home and was able to reset the breaker. I guess that means the inverter took the heat. Wonder if that's something that can be quickly replaced at the AS dealership where we bought it? Should they have inverters in stock? Is it likely that other damage could have been caused by this?
WBCCI #10360
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettye View Post
... Is it likely that other damage could have been caused by this?
Unfortunately this is problem that we hear about now and then, and sometimes a licensed electrician is at fault. The outlet is clearly 110v but is similar in appearance to a 220v outlet and gets connected to supply 220 volts. Any 110v device or appliance that was connected at the time 220v was supplied to the trailer could have been damaged. The converter is the most likely, but the TV and microwave are at risk. In the light of day and when you can safely plug the trailer in, take inventory of what does and doesn't work. The A/C was likely off, but there is a 110v component on the fridge and on some water heaters. Test everything. The electrician may have insurance to help with this. Was there a written work order describing what he was to install? This is not what you wanted to hear and definitely not a way to start the New Year. Our best wishes that the damage is minimal and you'll be back on the road in short order.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The main circuit breaker did what it was suppose to do- it tripped because the voltage and current were too high. I would just reset it and connect power to it and see if your converter and other 120v appliances work properly. You may have been lucky. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Dan
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Mobile , Alabama
We reset the breaker and plugged into a 110 outlet but nothing came on. I guess will have to wait until Wednesday a. m to get it checked out since everything is closed today. Thanks, Dan.
WBCCI #10360
Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Mobile , Alabama
....and everyone else who responded.
WBCCI #10360
Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettye View Post
We reset the breaker and plugged into a 110 outlet but nothing came on. ...
Do you have a small table lamp you can take out there and plug into an outlet in the trailer to verify you're getting 110v in the trailer? Besides the circuit breaker in the house serving the outlet, there is a 110v breaker panel in the trailer that protects the various 110v circuits in the trailer. You may also have a GFCI outlet maybe in the bath that might need to be reset as that typically protects the bath, galley and outside outlets. Older models used a GFCI breaker. Until you can confirm you have 110v in the trailer you can't determine what is not working.