Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2003, 10:50 PM   #1

Electrical Problems

I recently purchased a 1968 Caravel. There is not a battery hooked up. There are four 20amp circuits. Only 3 are wired. I'm guessing that the fourth circuit is for AC. Circuit one is the only circuit that works and that is a 12V circuit in the front end of the unit. The second circuit which powers the range hood fan, light over kitchen sink and roof vent fan does not work. Also the 120V general purpose circuit does not work. I have checked all fuses in the univolt system and they are all good. This AS was in a shed for the past 13 years. Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks, Bob
Bob Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Hi. I also had some problems with 12/120 electrical. When I inquired with my first problem, some time ago, I was told I should find the schematics for my electrical system. They are in the manual for each model of trailer. Look in the section for this site where you can order a manual for your rig. I am confident you will find your answers there and if not, you will have the manual to show to the electrician. Many RV places have a person on staff who is familiar with older trailers. For instance, I found one at Valley RV in McMinville, Oregon. I suggest you call around and see if there is some person in the local shop who has these skills. This is the way I worked out the braking problems in my spvereign.

good luck
Joan D'Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #3

1974 25' Tradewind
Palmdale Ca
BOB

I just purchased a 1974 25' Land Yauch with electrical problems also. After 2 days I only had one circuit working. I tested all the fuzes several times and they were all good. I finally found that each of the fuze clips were corroded and not making good contact. I had to go out and buy a seprate fuze block and wire it in external to the Univolt. If you wan't more details let me know

Del
Old 06-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I had to replace my univolt charging system as well.

I also had to build a new fuse box since mine was part of the univolt.

I have some pictures on my website.

http://www.telecom-pros.com/tim/airs...eplacement.htm
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Electrical Problems

Greetings Bob!

Welcome to the Forum and the world of Vintage Airstreaming.

This may not apply to '68 models, but earlier in the '60s there were typically two switches that could be thrown resulting in problems that you describe. What I found with my '64 was that when an issue such as you describe arose either one or both of the following were true:

1.) If nothing other than the 12-volt circuits were working the master switch for shorepower/battery power selection was in the wrong position. In my Overlander it was in the streetside corner of the one-stop service compartment - - I am not sure where it would be found in a Caravel or if it would have still been in use as late as '68. A good starting place would be to look between the shorepower entrance and the circuit breaker box.

2.) If the ceiling vent fans and range hood fan did not operate, the selector switch mounted on the wall near the kitchen window was in the wrong position - - on my coach this switch also controls the optional exterior electic outlet for the porchlight (the porch light was an option in addition to the typical "scare light" next to the entrance door). Again, this may not apply to the later '60s trailers but it is a possibility.

A third issue that applied to the earlier '60s trailers and may apply to your coach as well was that errant 12-volt problems were typically encountered if a battery wasn't present in the system.

Good luck in locating your electic gremlin.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote