Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Crossville , Tennessee
Smile Electrical problem AC related to 12 volt?

Hi
We just purchased a 2006 safari. We have used it twice now and both times had problems with the AC. The first time we could not get the AC to work and stay on. We took it in to a Service Man and he found nothing wrong. We check the Campground for voltage etc. We even put the refrig on gas and turn everything off but the AC.
This last time out. We were gone for 5 nights. We found that if we turned the 12volt light on above the sink the AC came on. If we turned it off it would imediately shut off and stay off. It would not come back on, no matter how hot and hw far you turned the thermostat down.
Has anyone ever experienced a similar problemlike this? Could this be a bad thermostat or something with the wiring? We were told everything worked fine so we are not sure how it worked before.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
starshipcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
wow! that's a sort of unusual condition for the a/c!

I really don't know your unit at all, but I'd start with the instructions in your manual for the a/c. then I'd be getting a set of 12vDC and 120 vAC circuit drawings for your unit - also might be in your factory manual? if not, AS customer service in JC, Ohio should be helpful with that.

next would be someone who's good with an electrical meter to trace & test. I'm guessing that somehow. somewhere, there's a misconnected 12vDC supply lead into your controls.... the right supply wire is probably in the existing harness in the ceiling or the wall?

let us know what you find?

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
was the light on when the service man checked it?

i'd check to see if someone wired the air conditioner 12v to the switched light circuit.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Crossville , Tennessee
I can't remember if the the 12V light was on or not with the service man. There is a good chance it was so he could see.
We are going to just go over and talk to him today with the information and see what he says.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
was the light on when the service man checked it?

i'd check to see if someone wired the air conditioner 12v to the switched light circuit.

Would the thermostat, (temp control) be the only 12v for the AC?, if so I think Rich nailed it. Find that wire at the light and put it on the non switched side.

Bob
Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Crossville , Tennessee
I found out alittle more information. No the Serviceman did not have the lights or any of the 12V items on.
Later on second outting...
We did notice that the 12v items produced a drag on the fantastic fan and like the radio when you switded the lights etc. This morning we connected the unit with power for the 110 supply as we don't have 30 amp at our home. We fired up the furnace and wanted to see what would happen when we tried turning on the lights. Oddly enough instead of a drag it made it increase in power, but remember we are running off battery and only 110 plug from house. Our Batteries (2) are Lifeline sealed Solar RV batteries because we have the factory installed solar system. Does this sound like a charging problem, converter? The Batteries show a charge.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by starshipcruz View Post
I found out alittle more information. No the Serviceman did not have the lights or any of the 12V items on.
Later on second outting...
We did notice that the 12v items produced a drag on the fantastic fan and like the radio when you switded the lights etc. This morning we connected the unit with power for the 110 supply as we don't have 30 amp at our home. We fired up the furnace and wanted to see what would happen when we tried turning on the lights. Oddly enough instead of a drag it made it increase in power, but remember we are running off battery and only 110 plug from house. Our Batteries (2) are Lifeline sealed Solar RV batteries because we have the factory installed solar system. Does this sound like a charging problem, converter? The Batteries show a charge.
starship.

I think we may be getting a little off-track here. Even if you don't have a 30Amp outlet, (which is only needed for the microwave & AC), when your plugged into the household 110v outlet the Airstream converter is supplying the 12v to all components AND charging the batteries. I would leave it plugged in for at least 24hrs and then look at the 12v supply for the thermostat, that is probably the one thats connected to the light switch, it can be wired to a constant 12v supply.

Bob
Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Crossville , Tennessee
Bob Do you think there still could be a wiring problem?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
SS,

Question I neglected, have we got this right?, the AC ONLY works when the light is ON, and when on the thermostat is working properly?
If thats correct the thermostat is most likely wired to the switched 12v supply. The question is where, if it's at the light itself it should be a pretty straight forward fix.

Is the thermostat on the AC or a stand-alone like this?

Pic's of the light switch might help.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07610.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	138576  
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Crossville , Tennessee
Bob
The AC worked for the Serviceman at his shop without the light on.

It would only work for us when we had the light on at the Campgrounds.

The Thermostat looks like the one you showed it operates the AC, Heat pump, and Furnace.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Starship,

Well, if it worked for the serviceman in the shop with the light out....

Then ground control to Major Tom.....we have a problem.

The light orbiting around my head just went out also.

You can't run the AC at home 'til you get a 30a outlet.

Lets wait.....when thats done we can play more.

Bob
Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
How long did you wait after turning the thermostat to "cool". Ours sometimes has a long delay before the AC actually comes on. Any chance that delay could be at play here?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
The long delay is, I believe, normal to the combination H/P ,A/C units. Mine takes about a minute to start. My friend's unit is that way also.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Somketimes even longer than a minute on mine. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Crossville , Tennessee
Hi
We couldn't get it to come on at all no matter how long we waited and we turned it down to 59
Then we turn the light on, at first we were doing it on the light itself then we stareted to use the wall switch. We waited a minute once we turned the light on and then the AC came on and if you turned the light off while the AC was running it would knock the AC out and it would NOT come back on with out that light on. We also noticed when we switched the light on if the fantastic fan was running and you switch it on it would bog down for a second or two
We can't get it back into service until October
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by starshipcruz View Post
Hi
We couldn't get it to come on at all no matter how long we waited and we turned it down to 59
Then we turn the light on, at first we were doing it on the light itself then we stareted to use the wall switch. We waited a minute once we turned the light on and then the AC came on and if you turned the light off while the AC was running it would knock the AC out and it would NOT come back on with out that light on. We also noticed when we switched the light on if the fantastic fan was running and you switch it on it would bog down for a second or two
We can't get it back into service until October
Thanks for your suggestions.
Starship,

Now that description sure sounds like the thermostat 12v is wired to that wall switch.....will the AC run with the wall switch on and the light off at the fixture?

It's not likely, but it could be factory, any mention in the manual or during your orientation? Anyone else here have the same concern?

Easy solution...control the light with the fixture switch and keep the wall switch on when using the AC.

POI...the AC draws a lot of power on start-up so the FF slow-down is not unusual.

Bob

Tags
12 volt