Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
COLORADICAL

2002 27' Safari
Idaho Springs , Colorado
Electrical outlets

We are FT near Denver. It has gotten really cold . We had 2 small ceramic heaters plugged in and running. Then they suddenly stopped; no power at outlet. One plug in in the bathroom and one behind the stove in the kitchen. 27' safari- 2002. I have checked the fuses below couch. I should have been using our power more efficiently but had gotten so comfy living in the AS w/o a problem. Thank you for the help! Yesterday I read on forums how to unclog the black tank by using a ladder and filling the sewer hose with water and using the force of gravity. Haha.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Turn all of the circuit breakers fully off, then on again. Often it is not visible when they trip.

What are you plugged into? Is it a full 30 amp circuit? Is the breaker which supplies that outlet tripped out?

Two "small" ceramic heaters alone may take most all of your 30 amps. They may be small in size, but electrically often take 12 to up to 15 amps each. That is 24 to 30 amps alone, without anything else on in the coach such as the water heater (if on electric) the refrigerator, the converter/charger.

I believe you have probably overloaded your power supply and will need to back off your use of the electric heaters. Use your propane furnace.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADICAL View Post
We are FT near Denver. It has gotten really cold . We had 2 small ceramic heaters plugged in and running. Then they suddenly stopped; no power at outlet. One plug in in the bathroom and one behind the stove in the kitchen. 27' safari- 2002. I have checked the fuses below couch. I should have been using our power more efficiently but had gotten so comfy living in the AS w/o a problem. Thank you for the help! Yesterday I read on forums how to unclog the black tank by using a ladder and filling the sewer hose with water and using the force of gravity. Haha.
The outlets in the bathroom are GFI type. Check to be sure the little buttons on the outlet are pressed and locked INWARD.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Turn all of the circuit breakers fully off, then on again. Often it is not visible when they trip.
Make sure the heaters aren't plugged into the same circuit, too. Even if the trailer as a whole has enough amps to run two heaters, no one circuit in the trailer can do it alone. One heater to one breaker, please.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Make sure the heaters aren't plugged into the same circuit, too. Even if the trailer as a whole has enough amps to run two heaters, no one circuit in the trailer can do it alone. One heater to one breaker, please.
Good point - I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of the general purpose outlets in our trailer are on one circuit (exceptions I know of include the microwave, the converter, and the fridge). If that's the case, it may not be possible to run two electric heaters at a full 1500 watts each in the camper.

Personal opinion follows: Having used electric heaters in campers myself, I firmly believe that the best solution for heating the camper to be comfortable is the built-in furnace. It uses propane rather than free electricity, but it works so well compared to space heaters that the cost is worth every penny. And it doesn't take up space on the floor. (I am kind of trying to talk my wife into a small, unobtrusive wall-mount electric heater for the bedroom to help out the furnace, though. The furnace just doesn't get enough warm air back there.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote