Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Dunedin , Florida
Electrical Outlet

Anyone have an idea on how to remove the exterior electrical outlet I removed the 2 screws but it does not want to come out. Thanks

Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
replacing external ac outlet

Just completed the task today. I found a thread earlier from 2Air and DJW that outlined the steps but can't seem to find that thread to post my photos.

1. Remove the 2 screws from the outlet. These are connected to two wing like arms that swing down behind the aluminum skin to keep the outlet in place. If you are familiar with "old construction" electrical boxes these are the same style.
2. Mask off the old outlet so you can cut the adhesive with a sharp box knife. The entire outlet is mounted into some pretty sturdy rubber like material.
3. You may have to break away the plastic cover to cut away at the rubber like material and you will have to pull pretty hard to get the outlet out. There should be plenty of wire to attach to the new outlet.
4. I replaced my outlet with standard electrical stuff from the local Ace hardware. It is a very nice cast aluminum and the color is dead on the same as my banana wrap.
5. Attach the wires and check for correct polarity.
6. Apply some sealer, I use Alcoa gutter seal, and mount into the existing hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	165867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	165868  

Name:	IMG_0660.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	165869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	165870  

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	165873  

Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
fltlvl510, I like your cover. The outlet cover on mine broke recently and I too looked replace with a metal cover similar to yours. I had found a neat silver colored one at Lowe's, but it didn't line up with the AS installed outlet.

My concern was/is how to seal or insulate the exposed power terminals from the insulation and metal walls. Did you do anything special?

I had asked Lewster about this and he advised not to do this because of potential leaks and trying to box in the back of the outlet.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
External ac outlet

Drew,
As you can see in a couple of the photos there were 2 holes already drilled into the skin of the Airstream on the right and left side of the outlet. Surprisingly these were not being used and were in the exact location where the mounting holes on my replacement cover was located. At first I was going to put some PlusNuts here to make the mounting a little more sturdy but decided to simply use olympic rivets instead.

As for shorting and leaks, I don't think that will be a problem. First there is plenty of clearance behind the outlet. Secondly, if you look at the second photo you will see the rubber like material Airstream injected around the original outlet forms a rubber cavity the new outlet fits into. Finally, I tightly wrapped electrical tape around the exposed wires then coated the entire backside of the outlet with Silicone sealant. Then sealed around the cover plate with Alcoa Gutter Seal.

I do understand where Lewster is coming from and in a perfect world some type of box to mount the outlet in would be preferred.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
If this were mine I would be a lot more comfortable if the circuit was ground fault protected. Might save someone a "shocking experience"
tim
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
If this were mine I would be a lot more comfortable if the circuit was ground fault protected. Might save someone a "shocking experience"
tim
On my 1983 Excella the external outlet, the one in the bath, the one in the bedroom, and the one for the converter are all on a circuit controlled by a ground fault breaker.

I don't think Airstream discontinued that for the newer trailers.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used the very same cover as Fltlevel, but I painted mine with Rustoleum Bright Aluminum for a close match to the skin. I used a liberal amount of cloth friction tape to further ensure a no short out situation. I used the 2" wide stuff and completely wrapped the rear of the outlet and all wires.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
tim
It is on the same GFI breaker as the kitchen outlets.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
fltlvl510, thanks. I'm not happy with the standard external RV fixture. In fact I think it is pretty crappy how that, and probably all of the AC outlets are wired. Like you have done, the metal fixture can be reliably sealed.

I wish, and believe Airstream could have used a metal outlet cover, and boxed it in during production. I doubt the cost difference is really that great.