Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Electrical Mystery Tour

Since pick up of our new to us 2016 AS Classic, the rear lights (braking, turn, tail, back up) in the curbside nacelle have not worked properly. All other lights work well. When signaling a right turn, the dash indicator light blinks rapidly and I get a warning message that there is a fault in the right signal light.

I evaluated this with my buddy (Elec Eng) yesterday. We first cleaned up the 7 prong connector and umbilical.

We got everything to work correctly, but for reasons unclear, the rapid blinking would unpredictably recur.

We found that when rapid blinking occurred, turning off the blinker, turning the emergency flashers on, then off, then turn right again would restore proper operation until it all recurred.

It almost seems like the truck detects a high impedance for an instant and locks into the rapid blink, light out mode. It then gets reset and works for awhile.

I rented a U-haul last week and all worked well through the 4 prong plug.

A cursory search suggests that the 2016 Ford controls flashing through the engine control module instead of traditional flashers and may need new codes entered.

Anybody else have an experience with this kind of aberrant behavior?

Thanks for your time and attention.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
My 2018 F250 gasser does this a lot. I spray contact cleaner on both sides of the 7pin connection which takes care of the problem until I leave campground for next leg of trip
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sometimes the “friction/contact pressure” along with dirty contacts can cause problems... could be the angle of umbilical if pulling to one side. Umbilicals fail. Replace the end or the whine assembly. To test, have someone trustworthy observe truck behavior and rear light while you wiggle/stress the umbilical... that will help target area. Good luck and God bless!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I have had trouble getting a good connection on the 7 way also. It tends to accumulate dirt and grime and the connectors tend to corrode quickly here in the deep humid south. As others have suggested, and as you did, contact cleaner works good. But the problem recurred so I went a bit further.

After cleaning with contact cleaner, I used white vinegar and a bit of salt as a more intensive corrosion remover. I used a cotton swab on each connector. Then more contact cleaner to remove the residual, dried it with a hair dryer just to be sure and flooded each connector with silicone dielectric (non-conducting) grease (spark plug grease from the auto store) to keep water and grime off the connection and prevent corrosion. It has not been a problem since. The lights get a good connection every time without having to wiggle the connector like before. Okay the grease does attract some dust but it keeps it away from the connectors which don't seem to have any corrosion accumulation now.

For the naysayers, In the oilfields of California back in the 80's and 90's we maintained a partially buried high speed data communications network. All connections and the thousands and thousands of splices added (the cables seemed to attract backhoes) had to be flooded with silicone grease to prevent connection and impedance issues, so please don't tell us the grease will prevent a good connection.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote