Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Silverton , Oregon
Electrical mysteries

I'm working on a 66 Caravel and have a couple of question (as will become clear, I am NOT an electrician!). With help from this forum and elsewhere I will be upgrading to an Intellipower converter. As I start into the electrical system, a couple of questions: There are two detached dead end "romex" type wires in the clost near the 110 breaker panel. I found one dead end romex in the area behind the furnace when I removed the appliances, etc. (which I assume is the other end of one of the mystery wires) From other posts I've read here I get the impression maybe the factory put in extra unused wiring during assembly just in case they were needed in the future. Any confirmation of that--or other thoughts/ideas on this? I want to replace the original gas only refrig. with a gas/electric, so I'm hoping maybe the dead ended wire I found behind the furnace can be used for the refrig.

Also, above the sink there is a duplex outlet and a "light switch". From other photos of Caravels, looks like that's standard. I have not checked, but assume the outlet is a 110, for whatever kitchen appliance (toaster, etc.) I have no idea what the switch is for. Anyone?

Finally, there is a shroud and vent and terminated wiring above the stove that obviously was for an exhaust fan that appears to have been operated by a pull chain. Fan and motor are missing. Has anyone dealt with this, i.e., are replacements or after-market substitutes available that will work?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mark
mrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrauch View Post
I'm working on a 66 Caravel and have a couple of question (as will become clear, I am NOT an electrician!). With help from this forum and elsewhere I will be upgrading to an Intellipower converter. As I start into the electrical system, a couple of questions: There are two detached dead end "romex" type wires in the clost near the 110 breaker panel. I found one dead end romex in the area behind the furnace when I removed the appliances, etc. (which I assume is the other end of one of the mystery wires) From other posts I've read here I get the impression maybe the factory put in extra unused wiring during assembly just in case they were needed in the future. Any confirmation of that--or other thoughts/ideas on this? I want to replace the original gas only refrig. with a gas/electric, so I'm hoping maybe the dead ended wire I found behind the furnace can be used for the refrig.

Also, above the sink there is a duplex outlet and a "light switch". From other photos of Caravels, looks like that's standard. I have not checked, but assume the outlet is a 110, for whatever kitchen appliance (toaster, etc.) I have no idea what the switch is for. Anyone?

Finally, there is a shroud and vent and terminated wiring above the stove that obviously was for an exhaust fan that appears to have been operated by a pull chain. Fan and motor are missing. Has anyone dealt with this, i.e., are replacements or after-market substitutes available that will work?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mark

Call me tomorrow after about 8am, and I will help you.

800-8777311.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Hope this is of some help. It is very basic but it's a start. You need photos of an existing 66 Caravel - let me know and I can go out and take some. Mine is 99% original.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65ELEC.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	65197  
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote