Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Electrical Help Needed

I've been have a problem with tripping house GFI on my 2001 Bambi and I can't figure out the cause. Everything works fine if I eliminate an in-line GFI but I'm concerned that I'm only masking a problem that way. Here is what I've tried so far:

1. Plugged into 20amp or 50 amp service. Trips house GFI on 20amp and Surge Protector GFI on 50 amp

2. Checked polarity on all plugs - its correect

3. Tested extension cord only - does not trip GFI without A/S plugged in

4. Shut down all breakers inside the A/S. Still Trips GFI

5. Replaced main A/S cord plug - one prong was kind of lose - still trips GFI

I'm not sure where to turn next. So far I haven't figured out how to access the connection of the main power cord to the power panel. Does anyone have any ideas? This one has me stumped.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
A GFCI works by comparing the current in the neutral line with that in the hot line. If that in the neutral line isn't the same as in the hot line, the current is returning through something else, possibly a human. If there is even a tiny difference, it trips.

Ground and neutral are tied together at your house or campground's main power panel. They should NOT be tied together within your boat or RV. If they are, some of the return current will return on the ground line instead of the neutral line and cause the GFCI to trip.

I suspect this is your problem... neutral is tied to ground somewhere within the Airstream. Just because it happens with all the breakers shut off doesn't necessarily mean that it's in the main power panel.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You are using an outside recepticle to plug in the power cord. Is it wet. Turn off the breaker and dry out the recept with a hair dryer. These things do not like moisture. Do the Same with both ends of the cord and the trailer plug. Did it work before or is this a first try of a new trailer? If it worked before it's not likly the trailer wiring unless something came loose, any really big bumps lately?

These faults can drive you crazy.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for all the help. I found the problem and fixed it -- it was a lose hot wire (black) connection on one outlet. It hadn't come out and wasn't touching anything as far as I could tell. It was just lose. Boy, talk about a needle in a haystack!
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote