Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Rapid City , South Dakota
Electrical help for '68 28D

Took our 1968 28ft AS on its first trip in a long time and ran into some electrical issues. I need advise on where to start looking for some answers.
  • 1. The first night the campground 30 amp service keep tripping the 20 amp breaker in the back under the bathroom sink. Several resets and combos we got stable power for the night.
    2. Next day we notice no AC power to the front of the trailer. Power stopped above the bed and the wardrobe. Also, the lights were getting dimmer.
    3. Next morning I replaced the first fuse next to the breaker box and got our light and battery charging again, AC issue in the front the same, so we bought a multi-plug. The whole time the power light was very weak or missing and if you plugged into a front outlet it would go off.
    4. Got home and plugged into the garage and now I have a Polarity light and no power light. Like on the trip if we had a microwave clock and A/C we felt like we had power to the trailer. Did some clean up with A/C running no problem (it does not like A/C and Vacuum at the same yet. Trips house not trailer breaker). With A/C on I get 109 volts on working outlets and 67 volts non-working one (explain why non-working not enough juice). Turned A/C off and I get 118 volts and 75volts. Also at the end of the day, when I turn off A/C I got both lights (power and Polarity). Then when I open the DC Control Panel a Black Wire fell out (it was not connected before the trip).
Please Help need to figure this out before she goes to bed for the winter.
Thanks in advance for any tip and solutions.
Duncan Olney
DROlney is offline   Reply With Quote