Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
Electrical help!!

My wife and I bought our 1984 excella and when we were at the dealer they had it plugged in and all the electrical worked (lights, fan, electric jack, etc.) now that we're home the 12 volt doesn't seem to work (probably needs a new battery) but I have plugged it the 120 volt electrical into a plug in our barn and nothing will come on. No lights, the jack won't work, nothing. Is there a switch somewhere I need to flip or something? I have looked at the breaker panel inside the trailer and all the breakers are set to on. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
S.Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There are two systems in your trailer, and the only interconnection is the converter/charger which changes 120 volts to 12 volts. The 12 volt side powers your lights, jack, pump etc. If you have a bad battery, an open fuse, or a bad converter charger, plugging the rig into 120 may not do anything.

1. Check the voltage at your battery with an inexpensive digital voltmeter. You can get one for $20 or less. It should be about 12.6 volts with a charged battery.

2. If you have 12 .6 volts at the battery and things still do not work, first clean the battery terminals, then check the big 50 amp fuses to be sure they are OK.

3. When you get the 12 volt side working again, hook up to 120 Volt power, and be sure the 120 volt circuit breakers are all on. The converter/charger may be plugged into a 120 volt outlet. If it is be sure that outlet is working by plugging something else into it, like a lamp.

4. With your meter on the 12 volt battery, have someone turn the converter/charger circuit on. The voltage on your battery should increase to about 13.5 volts. If it does not, something else is wrong with the converter/charger or wiring or fuses.

Those are some things you can do to start, and report back if you find anything you don't understand. Maybe we can help further.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tonganoxie , Kansas
Thanks so much Idroba!! I will check it all out tomorrow. Thanks so much!!
S.Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
There is a power off switch on some models. On my first AS, it was behind the gaucho sofa. Nothing worked without it being on, the exception was the tongue jack. Also check the AC circuit breakers. They will trip at times. Try switching them off, then back on. As Idroba said, check battery voltage with a volt meter.

Your owners manual should have locations. My bet is the power switch.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote