Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Ferdinand , Indiana
Electrical from scratch reference...

I am working on a 1950 clipper , here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417/1950-silver-steak-clipper-restomod-191517-2.html#post2208224

I need to start focusing on an electrical plan and could use some recommendation on resources. I’ve found good information from MattB thread Double Nickel Project it has stalled lately.

Has anyone thoroughly documented their electrical plan that would be a good place to start? I have exhausted the google search adding Airforums with my search. Great information but most theads I’ve found die off.

Any help would be appreciated

Richard
SGT374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
The electrical design will depend on how you plan to use it. The biggest questions are; do you plan to boondock, will you be hooked up to shore power most of the time, do you want solar, etc.. Remember, even though your Airstream is 1950's vintage, your new electrical system will be using 2019 components. Give it some thought and plenty of folks here will be glad to help.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Like Pat said, you start with a plan. You will be running 120v and 12v, AC/DC. You’ll need to figure out where you want receptacles and what voltage where. Your appliances and lighting. Your phone charging receptacles. Your coax. As you’re running your marine wire through the ribs with grommets, document location on interior elevation sketches. That will help when you install the interior skin. Run extra wiring for future. Throw in a couple of conduit for future runs. You may want to read some of the threads, or Google, on Progressive Dynamic. It is a converter, charger, has AC circuits and DC fuse panel. We installed the PD in both our trailers. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Ditto Pat & Bubba

In doing mine I found that the wiring diagram was the last piece before rough in. Knowing which appliances are desired and their power requirements was a parallel step with establishing where they are placed (by 'room' and which side; curb or street). I struggled with getting wiring from one side to the other until I decided to run as much conduit in the belly pan and walls as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	conduit curb side.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	333249 Click image for larger version

Name:	conduit street side rear.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	333250

Then I realized that running conduit from side to side had to be routed around tanks and plumbing that was in the belly pan. Placement of tanks and plumbing can lead to frame modifications. It can be a vicious circle.

Bottom line I recommend a lot of planning on paper/computer apps for a lot of your systems before doing any major purchases. I found initial planning any of the systems created conflicts. Easier and cheaper to correct on paper than on the trailer.

I attached my electrical list and specs to give you an example of an approach. Great trailer to save.

ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS.pdf

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Good starting references

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT374 View Post
I need to start focusing on an electrical plan and could use some recommendation on resources...Has anyone thoroughly documented their electrical plan that would be a good place to start?
Recommend starting with these references:
- NFPA 1192, Standard on Recreational Vehicles, 2018 ed. (more than electrical)
- NFPA 70, National Electric Code Handbook, 2017 ed., Article 551, Parts I-VI, Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks
- ANSI/RVIA LV, Standard for Low Voltage Systems in Conversion and Recreational Vehicles, 2018 ed.

Airstream, by putting the RVIA certification on each trailer, states that the trailer is compliant with these three references. To have a safe trailer, most highly recommend that you also be compliant when you build it out.

There are three primary travel trailer electrical systems:
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration required system for lights, brakes, breakaway switch, etc.
- DC charging, storage, and branch circuits
- AC shore power and branch circuits

Recommend starting with the electrical circuit diagrams for these three systems in recent Airstream trailers.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT374 View Post
I am working on a 1950 clipper , here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...ml#post2208224

I need to start focusing on an electrical plan and could use some recommendation on resources. I’ve found good information from MattB thread Double Nickel Project it has stalled lately.

Has anyone thoroughly documented their electrical plan that would be a good place to start? I have exhausted the google search adding Airforums with my search. Great information but most theads I’ve found die off.

Any help would be appreciated

Richard
Electrical was my challenge also.

Hope this helps http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-38289.html

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elect2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	333298  
Attached Images

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
Great guestion great answers

I can’t get over the knowledge on this forum and the respect for others. I also have a gut job on my 69 Sovereign and want to rewire and add wire as you guys talk about. Thanks for the great advice on this topic. Hats off again to the folks who are bringing the knowledge to these fourms .

Jbknowso
jbknowso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Electrical learning is a huge subject , but 2 things to start with ,
For a answer to all electrical / solar questions .
Gather the spec.s of what ever your working with --- and learn Ohms Law http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-wheel
Then just do the math , its simple really .
After that lookup AC/DC theory .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
Electrical learning is a huge subject , but 2 things to start with ,
For a answer to all electrical / solar questions .
Gather the spec.s of what ever your working with --- and learn Ohms Law http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-wheel
Then just do the math , its simple really .
After that lookup AC/DC theory .
Better start with DC, it's intuitive. Power goes down one wire and comes back on the other. Volts times Amps actually equals Watts(power).

AC is another story. I felt like Alice when she went down the rabbit hole in Wonderland when I first studied it. It is "Not" intuitive.

In any event, have fun.

Pat
Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Electrical +

Try this: www.marxrv.com
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Ferdinand , Indiana
Thank you everyone for your help. I will check out all the links and come up with an initial plan. I will submit it for review soon!
SGT374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Attica , Michigan
Following 😊
Myelfself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:45 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Remember, you first have to design an electrical system to support the 12V and 120V loads. Wiring the loads, while difficult from a wire routing perspective, is not where to start. First design the supporting electrical system.

Below is a wiring diagram for a relatively simple RV system.

Pat