Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #29
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
I haven't gotten through this thread yet, but mine had the same issue when I went to pick it up. It ended up being because it was plugged into a power cord with no ground peg. Properly plugged in there was no issue.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSmith View Post
I haven't gotten through this thread yet, but mine had the same issue when I went to pick it up. It ended up being because it was plugged into a power cord with no ground peg. Properly plugged in there was no issue.
You have a problem you have just MASKED it. A correct electrical system will not have voltage leaking to the trailer skin if there is not a third wire ground. That third wire ground is a safety designed to carry off voltage before someone gets killed. It is not meant to replace the neutral. Under normal conditions you should not be able to measure, or feel, voltage on an open ground.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Excella 500
Kelowna , British Columbia
Hey guys

so it seems directly related to the Iota power converter that I just installed last year. Everything is fine with all circuits on and the converter not plugged in. Once i plug the converter in my tester beeps from about 6" away from the skin. Without the converter plugged in i have to touch the trailer with it before it beeps. I have tried plugging the converter into different outlets and had the same result. Every outlet tests perfect and I have inspected all outlets, and the junction box with the polarity light and they are all fine. Maybe the problem is how I am testing the skin? Ill try testing the way Howie suggested early in this thread. But I think it seems fine now. I could touch underneath and can't feel anything.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A quick test. Remove the ground wire from the convertor and test the skin while the convertor is plugged in. If there is no voltage on the skin during that test I would suspect the convertor is bad and leaking to the skin through the ground wire.

If so remove the convertor and bench test it. Plug it in and measure from the convertor body to ground. There should not be measurable AC voltage there.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Excella 500
Kelowna , British Columbia
Hey guys. I went with plan b. call electrician buddy to take a look. Using the proper tester there is less than a volt coming through the shell. And even if it was more it's grounding properly and it would just kick out a breaker. So I don't know what I did that actually fixed it. But all is well. Thanks for all the quick replies.