Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Mazomanie , Wisconsin
Airstream did not use wirenuts in the connections to the fuse panel. The brown wire is a hot circuit from the fuse panel. If you don't have 12v between Brown and ground that is a problem. You also asked earlier about blue wires. Usually the blue wires run to the thermostat. Red, Yellow, Pink, Purple, Brown, all interior circuits, all hot. Ask more questions? Jeff

Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the pictures you have posted are the actual fuse panel.
You have a blue wire at that panel and it is not the thermostat.
Can you trace the wire which is connected to the wire nut?
Does it go to the upper left hand fuse? I notice there are 2 wires connected to that point.
Try moving the wires to the empty space on the right side of the fuse panel.
Also the brown wire hanging from the fan looks like it plugs in to something. Can you tell what?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas
Mustang, I feel your pain. I've been chasing around a 12 V short on my 82 motorhome. From your descriptions I can't tell whether you have a open, gound, bad connection or a breaker that has malfunctioned but here are some general ideas. As goofy as it sounds I would go to the airstream site and look at the owner's manual for a newer trailer that best matchs your own. They will have a wiring diagram that is rather abbreviated but you can pick up a sense of how they're doing things and they do have some good troubleshooting tips. Sometimes I'm the last one on the form to figure something out but on the wiring it appears that they'll take a 12 V circuit and run it the entire length of the ceiling then anyplace they want current from that circuit they run a drop from the ceiling down to wherever make they're going a light switch, 12 V power outlet or a radio cluster whatever and the color is always consistent. For example in my motorhome if the wire is solid yellow I'm sure that it's a direct connection back to the fuse for the number two circuit. When airstream has a switch in a circuit the color of the wire that is on the switched side will be a different color, sometimes it makes sense like in my case it's yellow with a red stripe that feeds the overhead locker lights in other cases it doesn't make any sense. Although it may not solve all your problems I would concentrate my efforts on the least complex issue. I assume it's the lamp that is not bright when energized from the circuit breaker. With the lamp being fed by the circuit breaker try to figure out what the value ot the voltage is on the breaker side of the lamp. If it's near 12 V then you know you have a ground problem, if it's considerably less than 12 V then you need to start looking for a bad connection or your circuit breaker has a high resistance and also will be much warmer than the rest. If you would like more help PM me and we can set up something where we can talk back and forth over the phone. Good luck and happy hunting..... Bill
PS This may have to be settled in the court of Ohm's in law.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The mention of dim lights and low fan speeds points to what you have said, voltage and no current.

Change the circuit breaker. The points in them can corrode or burn over and cause those issues.

Or I suppose, as a test, get a cheap in-line fuse holder and jumper across the suspect breaker and see if that corrects the problem.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I meant to say upper right, instead of upper left on the fuse panel.
Did you check the voltage at the fuse panel while you had the light and the furnace on?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Here is what I got....

Facing the computer screen on the left side of the fuse panel, there is a thin red and a thicker what appears to be pink wire. That is the one I am getting the Ohm reading on down by the furnace.

In the furnace compartment is where the wires disperse up to the lights over head ect.... SO I turned on all the light, disconnected the circuit right above it, swapping wires, the other circuit lit, but the light on the problem circuit did not so the fuse block should be OK since it didn't light the light over the sink. SO then I took a jumper, jumped from a known positive in the fuse panel, to the plug, which I unplugged from the furnace. The voltage fed back through, and lights came on,.

This tells me, I need to fish a new wire through for the one circuit....

When I got ohm readings it didn't zero out, it went from 1 to 15.16 so there must be resistance, but I would think, enough power would make its way through to light the light? Unless there is another junction.

Has anyone ever fished wires through an Airstream?

I would think with the rib cage design there has to be a rubber grommet in the ribs, and I don't know how tight it will be.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Mazomanie , Wisconsin
'82 Schematic

I'll try to post a scan of the interior electrical schematic from my '82, 28ft Excella. At least you'll have something to look at. Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Scan.pdf (4.63 MB, 24 views)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Thank you jbib....

I am posting pics of both sides. The fuse panel is behind the front couch, the Furnace is right under the stove after the door. It less then a 20 ft run....I fear it goes through grommits which will be impossible to fish through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0761.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	197983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0762.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	197984  

Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Looking at it, its exactly how mine is....

It shows wires running overhead, but they would have to snake around the front window, then up over the door, then back down the sides. Virtually impossible to fish through.....

The bottom pic, shows the red wire twist connector, connecting the furnace, and upper lights. There is also a big brown wire over head, but its hard to believe it would just do the stove exhaust fan and center light, why run the red up at all. 1 more light on the brown circuit would be fine....