Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Electrical changes 120 volt ac

Yep, the 120vac was also relocated and rewired. Acess to ac circuit breakers are from rear storage area. Several circuit breakers were added and GFIC was retained....Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa070001.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	17  
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Requesting GFIC Breaker Help

For sure, I am stumped on this one.

On the 1978 31’ Sovereign trailer “redo” I have run into a real conundrum---forget any work I have done - all of these problems are "upstream" of the new wiring, so this would have been (I think) a pre-existing condition. With the GFIC breaker installed and powered up, I get 121 volts between the hot and neutral - 0 volts between the hot and ground.... and 121 volts between the neutral and ground – circuit box at the house (master panel) has been running 122 volts lately – so I am getting “full voltage” to the end of the circuit wiring – including the neutral (of the GFI circuit) with the GFIC breaker installed.

It gets more interesting...

with the GFIC Breaker in the "Off" position I get 87 volts between the neutral and ground, and 53 volts between the hot and neutral ...

The same numbers were experienced with the original GFIC Breaker, so I (foolishly) pitched it (non-retrievable), and bought a new one ($40) - I get identical numbers with the new one - I'm just $40 poorer - lost an hour of my life running to the closest HD store and burned two gallons of gas to get there and back while purchasing the new GFIC Breaker. Worst of all, I have been playing hide and seek with this gremlin for going on three days now - have done other things in the meantime, but I am starting to get obsessed with the problem.

All other (non-GFIC) breakers are apparently operating properly, and the ohm meter shows infinity between both hot to ground, and neutral to ground...and no conductivity between hot and neutral. Separate (and isolated) connector blocks for neutral and ground in the breaker box.

This is a GE breaker box with all GE breakers installed. Both the old and new GFIC Breakers “threw” when the test button was pressed.

The GFCI circuit services the Univolt only (I think, I will confirm that tomorrow), so I am contemplating pitching the GFCI Breaker, installing a conventional breaker in it's place, and replacing the Univolt receptacle with a GFI Receptacle.

Any comments on just forgetting the GFIC in this case and going with a straight up 15 amp circuit breaker in the panel?

In summary,

1.Is the GFIC Breaker doing what it is supposed to?
2.Would installing a conventional breaker and a GFIC receptacle afford the same level of protection?
3.Do I even need GFIC protection in this case? (Univolt only.)

Thanks

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
When you say between the x and x where are you testing, in the panel at the breaker poles, on the service end of that breaker's wire, or somewhere else.

http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Do a forum search for "Circuit breaker box" and read my threads on "Electrical Problem Again" and "30 amp power cord". Look at my breaker box and see if wiring is anything near what you have. Also, I found one of my breakers was not working correctly thereby allowing current in at a lower rate when in the off position or even in the on position. You would have to read the entire thread to see the problem I had. One problem was the short in the 30 amp power plug, the second was someone who was helping wired in a jumper from ground to neutral (something you don't want to do in a GFIC circuit particularly in a trailer). I got some strange readings on the voltmeter while testing all the wiring until I found the problem. Do you have a service manual showing wiring going into the box?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

To sort thru any electrical problem, the key to solution is care. Start at the beginning, where power comes into main circuit breaker box. Carefully begin to test each power leg as each breaker is powered. Wild power voltages are being affected by some device. Last month, I spent nearly a day, in a commercial business looking for an intermitted neutral. In a last desperate act, a call was made to the power provider. The local outside transformer had an intermitten connection at the neutral. Many electrical problems are difficult because of not carefully testing and taking for granted. There is always a reason for voltage changes. Frank
Old 03-13-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
87MH,
FrankR helped me with the electrical problem I was having in my '77. If it wasn't for him, johnhd and a few others, I would not have found the solution.

Frank, long time, no see.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Yonkers , NEW YORK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR View Post
Yep, the 120vac was also relocated and rewired. Acess to ac circuit breakers are from rear storage area. Several circuit breakers were added and GFIC was retained....Frank
I have a 74 airstream do I need a 30 or 50 amp adapter to hook up to my 110 outlet ?
Sungod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Yonkers , NEW YORK
First time owner ,I have 110 or 120 outlet not sure what I need to hoop up my 74 airstream
Sungod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungod View Post
First time owner ,I have 110 or 120 outlet not sure what I need to hoop up my 74 airstream
Hi,

This thread is from 2005. The best way to get a reply is start your own thread in the right area and ask specific questions AFTER you have done some research of your own. Pictures always help.

Congratulations on your acquisition of an Airstream and welcome to the forum.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungod View Post
I have a 74 airstream do I need a 30 or 50 amp adapter to hook up to my 110 outlet ?
Most likely it's a 30amp service. Do some googling about your specific trailer.
There were many models of Airstream in 1974, which is yours?

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt