Old 09-15-2003, 10:29 AM   #1
Question Electrical/Battery Wiring

Our '68 Land Yacht (28ft) was being lived in by the previous owner. As part of this arrangement, they decided to use a 12 volt battery charger for the 12 volt supply rather than buy a new battery. I have now purchased a new battery and have several questions about how to correctly wire/attach the cables to the battery.
My first question has to do with where the battery actually sits. Based upon the wires (4 total, 2 red and 2 white) that come down from the the top at the rear, I suspect that was where it was at. However, the charger was placed behind the wall (access via a door in the bathroom) and was taped to two other wires (1 red, 1 white) as the "connection".
The problem I now have it that when I hook up the four wires in the back, sitting the battery on a platform I built so it will be above the various water lines/pipes that are in the compartment, I still have the two wires that are near the electrical box. Are these part of the "Univolt" system? When I check the battery level on the control panel, it started out as good, but after a few minutes of running the lights, checking the water pump, etc, it was at fair.
How are these wires hooked up? I have as of yet not hooked the trailer up to a proper 110 hookup and have only used an extension cord to run a clamp light, a fan and a radio while we work on cleaning the interior.
The four wires in the back easily reach the battery and when hooked (2 reds to positive, 2 whites to ground) up the interior lights work fine, but the outside "running lights" don't and I am certain it has something to do with the other two wires, which won't reach the battery. I am wondering if the previous owner didnt' unhook the wires from the Univolt system so they could hook them up (taped with electrical tape) to the battery charge.
Any help/knowledge in this area will be appreciated.
Steve Rye aka Texas'68

Texas'68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum, I'm a neighbor since we live in Georgetown, and I'll never claim to be an electrical expert but regarding the running lights, those are probably run off the umbilical that hooks to tow vehicle. Turn on your headlights, tail and running lights should work. Sounds like you are on the right tract though if you've got the 12 v interior lights working and I'm sure somebody with your year model will steer you on the univolt hookup. Mine was pre univolt, had a seperate 110 and 12 v systems. Mike
61Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote