Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Do you know all of the locations this blue wire inside the walls go to? It may come in handy for your 12V wiring. Don't worry. We will take it one step at a time and it will all become clear.
I am assuming the new dinette will be installed in the front of the trailer. Is this where your fresh water tank and pump will be?
A longer UCord will be good.
If you look at Chris's drawing while reading the info in post #108 above, I think it will make more sense. If you have a way to print a copy of the drawing it would be helpful.
The only blue wires inside the trailer are the two that are sticking out in the front.

The new dinette will be installed in the front of the trailer and the new fresh water tank and pump are as far forward as they will go. The two fuse boxes will be under the dinette seat. The water tank will be covered by a box but will have a removable lid so that I can access everything.

I have already printed up Chris' drawing (VERY helpful!) and I print up all the instructions given to me (also VERY helpful!) and have it all handy when I do anything. It makes it much clearer to me when I have something telling me what to do as I'm doing it.

I hope to have my fuse boxes in soon and maybe can get it up and going this week.

Again, thanks. I know I've said it before but truly, I could not have done any of this without the help I've gotten from the forum.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you said Oops! There are blue wires in the walls; I thought you found more than just the 2 previously mentioned. Did you try connecting the 2 together and the charger routine I mentioned to see if it all works?
Your Thanks is much appreciated and I'm sure Chris and all others that helped would agree. I think I speak for all of us when I say we are happy to help.
Personally I get a kick out of trying to help with problems. It gives me a good feeling to be able to help solve the problems, especially when the results are positive; and I'm not actually there.
So keep asking questions and describing the problems and we will continue to help all we can.
You never know; Someday there may be someone who needs help in these areas and with the knowledge you have gained here, you can help.
I'll keep watching your posts for when you get the fuse blocks in and help in any way I can.
I travel through the San Luis Valley from time to time, so maybe I'll get the opportunity to take a look at your little jewel someday. We may take a trip to Mesa Verde in the spring or early summer when Wolf Creek Pass is clear of snow. If we do, we will bring TG Twinkie and you can see the dinette in person.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Wow! We would love for you to come for a visit (and inspection!). We are 6 miles out of Saguache which is right on Hwy. 285. Just let us know when you're coming!

I didn't get a chance to run the test on the blue wires - had to decorate the Christmas tree we cut down last week. We've got *12* people coming Christmas day and 25 coming for a party on Sunday.

I hope to run the tests tomorrow and will let you know what I find.

I got my fuse boxes in today but I forgot to buy the little connectors that push on to the boxes so I will have to wait until I go to town again. Plus I want to exchange my red wire for white so that the battery will be wired with black and white instead of black and red (my OCD kicking in).
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Try this; connect the two blue wires inside the trailer together with a wire nut.
Then connect the red lead of the charger to the yellow wire in the UCord. Black lead to ground; then test the light fixture. I'll bet it will work.
And the ceiling light came on!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
ready for wiring umbilical cord

I've got everything I need to finish up the Ucord but I have a few questions.

1. In my trailer wiring I have 2 green wires - one #16 and one #14, twisted together. These two green wires were connected to what used to be the old Ucord (the stub sticking out of the trailer). Am I to put both of the green wires in one fuse slot and then the new Ucord green to the other side of it?

2. There is a #16 black wire in the trailer wire bundle and it was connected to a black wire from the old Ucord. The only black wire I found during all these tests, etc. was the #16 black wire in the curbside taillight that wasn't connected to anything. It still isn't connected to anything - I just capped the end of it and left it in the taillight hole. Should I go ahead and connect it to the black wire in the Ucord? I don't know what it was for. The taillight works with it as it is.

3. The sheathed blue/white wire that went to the brakes was brittle and banged up so I got new blue/white wire of the same size. My plan is to run it in pvc to the brake connection and tie it in there. The current sheathed wire has the white to the bolt on the tongue and the blue to the blue in the old Ucord. Do I keep the new wiring the same? Will I need to bring them inside the trailer to the fuse box? There is no blue wire in the trailer harness (other than the one that was connected to the yellow Ucord wire and works the ceiling light when connected to a battery). What do I do with the white wire in the new Ucord?

4. When I put the trailer wiring harness wires in the fuse box I assume I bring the new Ucord inside the trailer and put the new Ucord wires opposite them on the other side of the fuse box?

5. Do I need to have a white ground wire inside the fuse box anywhere?

6. When I put the connectors on these wires (the 1/4" female that slides on the fuse box male), do I need to use that heat shrink stuff?

I was able to get a longer Ucord but they didn't have the kind with the plug already on it. I have a plug and will put it together tonight.

That's it for starters.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
Fantasitc!!!!

I made you a new wiring diagram, 'cuz I thought you were confused on how to wire in the breakaway switch and battery. See the attached PDF file. Hopefully, it's clear enough. I tried to show how I would wire the new ucord in. Doing the majority of the connections inside the trailer makes sense to me, as it keeps them out of the weather. Plus, you don't need to cut into the new ucord outside the trailer at all doing it this way. But, you will need to bring a black, blue, and white wire back out to the front. As TG and I have mentioned before, you can use the frame bolt as a location for all the white wires to connect together and to the frame, and then use the positive terminal on the battery to connect the breakaway switch. If you have any questions, let us know. We'll happily answer them!

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf umbilical wiring 1.pdf (19.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota

1. In my trailer wiring I have 2 green wires - one #16 and one #14, twisted together. These two green wires were connected to what used to be the old Ucord (the stub sticking out of the trailer). Am I to put both of the green wires in one fuse slot and then the new Ucord green to the other side of it? Connect the two green wires from the harness together, and then connect to the fuse block. I tried to show that on the drawing as well Ė the two green wires coming off the right side of the fuse block.

2. There is a #16 black wire in the trailer wire bundle and it was connected to a black wire from the old Ucord. The only black wire I found during all these tests, etc. was the #16 black wire in the curbside taillight that wasn't connected to anything. It still isn't connected to anything - I just capped the end of it and left it in the taillight hole. Should I go ahead and connect it to the black wire in the Ucord? I don't know what it was for. The taillight works with it as it is. I would leave the back wire disconnected. Cap or tape it so it doesnít short anything out. Iíd run new black wiring from the ucord fuse block to the ganged fuse block.

3. The sheathed blue/white wire that went to the brakes was brittle and banged up so I got new blue/white wire of the same size. My plan is to run it in pvc to the brake connection and tie it in there. The current sheathed wire has the white to the bolt on the tongue and the blue to the blue in the old Ucord. Do I keep the new wiring the same? Will I need to bring them inside the trailer to the fuse box? There is no blue wire in the trailer harness (other than the one that was connected to the yellow Ucord wire and works the ceiling light when connected to a battery). What do I do with the white wire in the new Ucord? Take a look at the new drawing. If that doesnít answer these questions, let us know.

4. When I put the trailer wiring harness wires in the fuse box I assume I bring the new Ucord inside the trailer and put the new Ucord wires opposite them on the other side of the fuse box? Yup!

5. Do I need to have a white ground wire inside the fuse box anywhere? Not really. I would bring it inside and then run it back out to your grounding bolt on the frame just to keep the integrity of the ucord intact. If your ganged fuse box for the 12 volt circuits has a ground blot on it, you can use that to connect the white wires together.

6. When I put the connectors on these wires (the 1/4" female that slides on the fuse box male), do I need to use that heat shrink stuff? I donít think so. I didnít on Little Girl. You can, and it wonít hurt anything. But since the connector are inside the trailer, itís not really necessary. Now, any rings to put on the end of wires that will be outside the trailer, using shrink wrap on would be good extra insurance against weather related problems.

I was able to get a longer Ucord but they didn't have the kind with the plug already on it. I have a plug and will put it together tonight. I find that to be knida a pain. You have my sympathyÖ
Old 12-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
1. In my trailer wiring I have 2 green wires - one #16 and one #14, twisted together. These two green wires were connected to what used to be the old Ucord (the stub sticking out of the trailer). Am I to put both of the green wires in one fuse slot and then the new Ucord green to the other side of it? Yes; opposite of the new UCord green.

2. There is a #16 black wire in the trailer wire bundle and it was connected to a black wire from the old Ucord. The only black wire I found during all these tests, etc. was the #16 black wire in the curbside taillight that wasn't connected to anything. It still isn't connected to anything - I just capped the end of it and left it in the taillight hole. Should I go ahead and connect it to the black wire in the Ucord? I don't know what it was for. The taillight works with it as it is. Are you sure it's the same black wire? If it is leave it disconnected. If not; try to figure out what it is. But it sounds like you won't need it.
The black wire in the UCord is for charging the battery from the TV; it is not the same wire as the #16 above. The UCord black is probably a #10.
Look closely at Chris's drawing. The UCord black goes to the 30 amp fuse; from the other side of the 30 amp fuse; you will run a #10 black to the buss lug on the Ganged fuse block and another wire out the new hole to the battery + terminal.

3. The sheathed blue/white wire that went to the brakes was brittle and banged up so I got new blue/white wire of the same size. My plan is to run it in pvc to the brake connection and tie it in there. Good plan.

The current sheathed wire has the white to the bolt on the tongue and the blue to the blue in the old Ucord. Do I keep the new wiring the same? Yes

Will I need to bring them inside the trailer to the fuse box? Yes, thru the new hole shown on Chris's drawing. There will also be a #10 black and a #10 white thru the same hole. The black will go to the battery + terminal; The white will go to the frame; Note: You will need a white wire frome the battery to the frame as well.
There is no blue wire in the trailer harness (other than the one that was connected to the yellow Ucord wire and works the ceiling light when connected to a battery).This wire should be connected to the ganged fuse block where it is labeled "lights", cut the yellow off; if the remaining blue is too short; splice on some new blue and connect it to the fuse block.

What do I do with the white wire in the new Ucord? Connect the white wire to the frame/skin; use the mounting bolt on the ganged fuse block; it is your ground from the TV. I'M ASSUMING YOU WILL MOUNT THE FUSE BLOCK TO THE SKIN. If not the white wire should go to the skin or frame.

4. When I put the trailer wiring harness wires in the fuse box I assume I bring the new Ucord inside the trailer and put the new Ucord wires opposite them on the other side of the fuse box? Yes match the colors and note the fuse sizes Chris has called out on the drawing.

5. Do I need to have a white ground wire inside the fuse box anywhere? I think that is what Chris is showing see note "Ground lug" in the upper right corner. I believe he is using one of the mounting bolts for the fuse block for a ground.

6. When I put the connectors on these wires (the 1/4" female that slides on the fuse box male), do I need to use that heat shrink stuff? If they have an insulation collar; NO. If they are bare and there is no risk of them moving and touching each other or ground; NO. If you feel better about using the heat shrink then by all means do it. It can't hurt.

Sounds like you are getting there.

GREAT JOB ON THE NEW DRAWING CHRIS! You beat me posting by seven minutes. It's good that we are giving the same answers.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Good News

Fantastic!!!! If you add more DC lights; Just connect the power wire to the same "lights" fuse that the blue wire is connected.

The plug on the UCord won't be a problem, just be careful to match the colors. The screws are ID'd; LT= left turn; RT= right turn; etc. Chris listed the colors and functions on the drawing.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post

1. In my trailer wiring I have 2 green wires - one #16 and one #14, twisted together. These two green wires were connected to what used to be the old Ucord (the stub sticking out of the trailer). Am I to put both of the green wires in one fuse slot and then the new Ucord green to the other side of it? Connect the two green wires from the harness together, and then connect to the fuse block. I tried to show that on the drawing as well Ė the two green wires coming off the right side of the fuse block.

2. There is a #16 black wire in the trailer wire bundle and it was connected to a black wire from the old Ucord. The only black wire I found during all these tests, etc. was the #16 black wire in the curbside taillight that wasn't connected to anything. It still isn't connected to anything - I just capped the end of it and left it in the taillight hole. Should I go ahead and connect it to the black wire in the Ucord? I don't know what it was for. The taillight works with it as it is. I would leave the back wire disconnected. Cap or tape it so it doesnít short anything out. Iíd run new black wiring from the ucord fuse block to the ganged fuse block.

3. The sheathed blue/white wire that went to the brakes was brittle and banged up so I got new blue/white wire of the same size. My plan is to run it in pvc to the brake connection and tie it in there. The current sheathed wire has the white to the bolt on the tongue and the blue to the blue in the old Ucord. Do I keep the new wiring the same? Will I need to bring them inside the trailer to the fuse box? There is no blue wire in the trailer harness (other than the one that was connected to the yellow Ucord wire and works the ceiling light when connected to a battery). What do I do with the white wire in the new Ucord? Take a look at the new drawing. If that doesnít answer these questions, let us know. GREAT drawing! I've already printed it up (along with my instructions) and have it ready to take down the hill tomorrow to work on.

4. When I put the trailer wiring harness wires in the fuse box I assume I bring the new Ucord inside the trailer and put the new Ucord wires opposite them on the other side of the fuse box? Yup!

5. Do I need to have a white ground wire inside the fuse box anywhere? Not really. I would bring it inside and then run it back out to your grounding bolt on the frame just to keep the integrity of the ucord intact. If your ganged fuse box for the 12 volt circuits has a ground blot on it, you can use that to connect the white wires together.

6. When I put the connectors on these wires (the 1/4" female that slides on the fuse box male), do I need to use that heat shrink stuff? I donít think so. I didnít on Little Girl. You can, and it wonít hurt anything. But since the connector are inside the trailer, itís not really necessary. Now, any rings to put on the end of wires that will be outside the trailer, using shrink wrap on would be good extra insurance against weather related problems.

I was able to get a longer Ucord but they didn't have the kind with the plug already on it. I have a plug and will put it together tonight. I find that to be knida a pain. You have my sympathyÖ
Kinda' a pain is right! They certainly don't want those things to get any water or dirt in them, do they? But I got it together and I'm ready to go!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
plug

Quote:

Fantastic!!!! If you add more DC lights; Just connect the power wire to the same "lights" fuse that the blue wire is connected.

The plug on the UCord won't be a problem, just be careful to match the colors. The screws are ID'd; LT= left turn; RT= right turn; etc. Chris listed the colors and functions on the drawing.
Fortunately, the screws were labeled RED, GREEN, BLUE, etc.! So I think I got it right!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You're very welcome Lindy! Always happy to help - especially now since Little Girl is snow bound...

So, you noticed the pain part of that connector, huh? It's like trying to put a 3/4" thick cable into pin hole, plus squeezing 7 honking wires into the space the size of a cheerio. Not one of my favorite things to replace. But at least your don't have to be hanging upside-down underneath a steering column to replace it (my least favorite position to work in ).
Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Brakes

Lindy,
Make sure to remove (or not install) the fuse for the brakes. This entire brake system needs to be checked out before you power it.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Progress so far

It's ok to tell me to start all over - I won't get my feelings hurt. But here's what I've done so far and then I stopped because I have more questions.

I ran the new blue/white wires through the 1/2" pvc and then attached those wires at the brakes (THAT was an interesting experience - there's not a lot of room under the trailer). The wires then come out of the pvc at the front and the white goes to the bolt on the tongue and the blue ties in with the breakaway switch then goes into the hole and the UCord fuse box (20 amp fuse).

I haven't set up the battery yet but the other wire from the breakaway switch will go directly to the positive terminal on the battery.

There is another white wire that is connected to the bolt on the tongue that goes inside and is connected to the lug (not sure I have the right one) on the ganged box. A #10 white has been also connected to the bolt and will go to the negative side of the battery whenever I get it in.

I don't like how the wires are from the brakes/breakaway going into the new hole and need to either tie them all together and/or weatherproof them in some way. I tried that heat shrink stuff and it didn't work very well so I gave up after burning my fingers. I can get some of that good tape when I go back to town on Friday and wrap the whole mess in that. Or I'm certainly open to other suggestions. Don't ask why I didn't just run it all inside and connect the wires there. Just didn't think about it until I saw the pictures. Duh!

I cut the yellow off of the blue wire (that controls the ceiling light) and wired it and a ball of green wire together and put them into the 15 amp fuse space in the ganged box. The green wire will be used for the one or two other 12VDC lights that I plan to have.

I hooked the water pump up to the 20 amp fuse in the ganged box. I didn't run the propane detector wire yet but will do so when I decide where I will put it. I haven't done anything with the fridge wire yet either but will run it over to the fridge even if I find that my old fridge still works. I'm sure I'll need a new one at some point in time.

Now for the questions:

1. Do I have the white wires connected to the right lug on the ganged fuse box?

2. What are those connections for on the lower left of the ganged fuse box (where I have the white wires connected to the nut)?

3. Does it look like the fuse boxes are set up ok?

4. The black #10 wire will come in through the new hole then connect to what? The center lug on the ganged box? Then another black wire will be tied in there as well and go over to the Ucord fuse box to the 30 amp fuse?

5. Should the in-line 30 amp fuse box on the #10 white wire from the battery be INSIDE the trailer (before it goes to the ground lug) or OUTSIDE the trailer? The only in-lime 30 amp fuse I could find is wired with #12 wire. The guy at the auto parts place said it would work. Will it or do I need to get another kind?

6. When I wire my interior lights, right now I only have the one green wire coming from the fuse box. If I put in two 12VDC lights can I just tie into that one wire for the 2nd light?

7. What do I do at the other end of the fridge wire? Will it be hard-wired into the fridge or is there some kind of plug that I wire into? What gauge wire should I run for the fridge?

The diagram of the wiring has been INCREDIBLE!!! It made the entire job so much easier. I hope others will use it as well. It is so easy to follow (IF, of course, I did it right!).

So, with the diagram and the written instructions, how did I do? Start all over or keep going?

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou..... Or, as Elvis would say "thankyewverrymuch"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake wires.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	117044   Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	117045  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new hole.jpg