Old 12-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
After taking loose all the outside lights on the trailer this is what I found:

Running lights on curbside - 1 green wire from trailer tied to 1 green light wire
Taillight - curbside - 1 black wire from trailer which was loose, 1 brown wire tied to 1 black light wire plus 2 green wires to 1 green light wire
Taillight - streetside - 1 red wire from trailer tied to black light wire and 2 green wires from trailer to 1 green light wire
Running lights on streetside - 2 green from trailer tied to 1 green light wire
License plate light - 2 green from trailer tied to 1 black wire which was then tied to 1 yellow wire which went to the light.

Is it hopeless?
Nope - not hopeless!

Running Lights: The green wires are all connected together inside the trailer walls (or they should be all connected together anyway), and they are the running lights. I would totally expect to see at least one green wire at each light location. When you replace the lights, make wire you keep the green wires connected together that are currently connected together. This should connect to the green wire in the stub of your umbilical cord.

License Plate Light: The color of the wire on the license plate fixture doesnít really matter. Itís connected to the green running light wire coming out of the trailer Ė thatís whatís important.

Taillight Streetside: The red wire coming out of the trailer is for the streetside or left turn signal and brake light. The green wire is the running light. Thatís also as I would expect. The red wire should connect to the red wire in your umbilical stub. And the green wire should connect to the other green wires.

The red wire also connects to a black wire on the fixture. Thatís also normal as the taillight fixtures typically do not have red or brown wires on them. They usually have a green wire to show where the running light connection is, and then the other color wire is for the turn signal/brake light.

Taillight Curbside: The brown wire coming out of the trailer is for the curbside or right turn signal and brake light. The green wire is the running light. Thatís also as I would expect. The brown wire should connect to the brown wire in your umbilical stub. And the green wire should connect to the other green wires.

Iím not sure what the black wire coming out of the trailer is for.

If you buy new lights, you may find that they also have a white wire. This will be the ground wire, and will be connected to the shell.

Chris

Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Black wire

The black wire Chris mentioned may be to charge the battery. But check to see what color the brake wires are. Especially if you can't find a black wire inside the trailer; it should be a 10 guage wire if it is for the battery.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
New numbers and tests

I ran some tests on my multi-meter touching the probes and this is what I got:

2K position - .000
200 position - 00.0

I then touched the probes to each end of a 15' wire and got:

2K position - .000
200 position - 00.2

With the charger plugged in and not connected to anything except the probes on the meter (charger set at 2 amp) and the meter set in the 20VDC position I registered 10.71

THEN I connected the charger to a better place on the trailer for the ground with the black clip and put the red clip on the green wire from the umbilical cord. This is what I got:

Curb front green: 11.7

I then attached my new license plate light to the curb front green and grounded it to the trailer. The light worked.

With the light still attached, grounded and on, I checked out the other wires coming out.

Street front green - 8.6
Curb rear - 8.63
curb tail - 8.64
street tail - 8.62
Street rear - 8.62

Are those numbers ok? I don't know what I did differently other than have the ground clip in a better place and have a small light attached.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
brake wire

I forgot to post a picture of my brake wire. It looks green in the picture but I think it is actually blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake wire.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	116736  
Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
I ran some tests on my multi-meter touching the probes and this is what I got:

2K position - .000
200 position - 00.0

I then touched the probes to each end of a 15' wire and got:

2K position - .000
200 position - 00.2

With the charger plugged in and not connected to anything except the probes on the meter (charger set at 2 amp) and the meter set in the 20VDC position I registered 10.71

THEN I connected the charger to a better place on the trailer for the ground with the black clip and put the red clip on the green wire from the umbilical cord. This is what I got:

Curb front green: 11.7

I then attached my new license plate light to the curb front green and grounded it to the trailer. The light worked.

With the light still attached, grounded and on, I checked out the other wires coming out.

Street front green - 8.6
Curb rear - 8.63
curb tail - 8.64
street tail - 8.62
Street rear - 8.62

Are those numbers ok? I don't know what I did differently other than have the ground clip in a better place and have a small light attached.
Thanks for the info Lindy. When you were measuring the voltage on the wires, were you just measuring the green wires at each light location?

Chris
Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
I forgot to post a picture of my brake wire. It looks green in the picture but I think it is actually blue.
Ok, that looks normal. One blue wire and one white wire inside a plastic covering. The blue wire should connect to the blue wire in your umbilical cord stub, and the white wire should connect to the white wire in your umbilical cord stub.

In the picture of your umbilical cord (copied below), where does the blue and white wire pair pointed to go? That looks like a brake wire as well. Maybe the other end of the wires you show in post 74?

Name:   tow light wires2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  21.6 KB
Old 12-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Low voltage

The voltages you read (8.6 or there about) are low. It looks like voltage drop from Oxidation. When you install your new fixtures be sure to clean the ends of the wires coming out of the trailer; also make sure you have a good clean connection for the ground.
Did you connect the new license plate light to all of the locations around the trailer? I would just to make sure they are all OK.
You can also test the turn/brake light circuits and the tail lights as well as the license plate light position.
Make note for yourself to use in the future as to what color wires are for what device.
Sounds like your getting more comfortable using the meter.
Did you find the other end of the blue wire inside the trailer?

In the photo posted. Which wires go to the backplate of the brake assembly?
Where do the red wires go? To the other side of the trailer?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Yes, I only measured the green. Forgot about the brown and red - I'll check those out tomorrow if I need to. The wire you pointed to is actually just a loose wire - black with a blue and white in it. That wire is 7' long and the other end of it isn't connected to anything. The end you see in the picture is bolted to the frame (white) and then the blue is tied into the cord that goes to the TV. It is not connected to the little blue stub in the umbilical cord coming from the trailer (between the brown and red)
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Ground?

Does the white wire that is in the sheath with the blue wire go to the frame of the trailer? You answered This question while I was typing.

Is there a connector on the other end of the umbilical cord?
Is the black wire with the blue and white inside long enough to reach the axle? Maybe it is part of the brake wiring. Does it look like it was connected at the far end to something at one time?
If it is not connected to the blue wire between the brown and red; What is it connected to? Does it look like it just came apart?
Did you find the other end of the black wire in the umbilical cord at another location in the trailer?
How many and what color wires are in the trailer umbilical cord? I see what looks like red, brown, white, black and green.
If that is the case:
Red=left turn/brake
Brown=right turn/brake
White=ground
Green=tail/marker and license plate.
Black=?? Battery Charge line from TV??
The umbilical cord to the TV looks like it has 7 conductors. Is that correct? If so: What colors are they?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Blue wire

There is no need for the blue wire that is in the black sheath along with the white to be connected to the trailer umbilical cord. It looks like it is connected to the TV umbilical cord; which is correct. If the black wire in the trailer UCord is for the trailer battery, that is where you will wire the breakaway switch to get power. The other wire on the breakaway switch will be connected to the blue wire that goes to the brakes.
Somewhere in the trailer there should be a white wire connected to the frame or skin. It is the other end of the white wire that is in the UCord. If you find that white wire I would bet there is a black one there as well.
I think the black wire from the TV UCord and the trailer UCord should be connected together.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Lindy,

Yes, I would check the other color wires to make sure that they are good to the rear light fixtures. Those would be the red and brown ones to the turn signal/stop lights.

The blue/white wire in the sheath must be what's left of the brake wire on the front of the trailer. I'd look for a place in the a-frame where the wire could go into. In Little Girl, the brake wire fed back thorugh the frame as far as possible before being attached to the underside of the floor. You may another piece of wire inside the a-frame. But getting to it might be hard, and I wouldn't spend a ton of time looking for it. We (as in you ) can always run a new brake wire along the underside of the trailer.

Chris
Old 12-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Better numbers?

Today I cut off all the old wires that were exposed, exposed new connection wires, cleaned those up good and did another meter test with the charger hooked to the appropriate wire and grounded well. ALL (green, red, brown) tested 12.11 or better.

Then I took my license plate light and went to every wire (green, red, brown) and it worked at each site!

As for the strange wire on the tongue(black with blue/white inside), I found the other end. It is, in fact, the wire that goes into the belly pan and is connected to the brakes. It used to be connected to the long wire on the tongue but, since most of it seems to have run UNDER the belly pan instead of inside it, it had long ago gotten cut. This is the wire where the white is bolted to the tongue and the blue is connected to the TV wire but NOT to the blue wire coming out of the trailer.

I've attached pictures of the brake wires showing the blue/white one coming out from the belly pan and then it goes across from the streetside brake to the curb brake. Red wires go into the brake on both sides.

This is what I have coming out of my trailer: red, brown, white, green, black and a tiny little stub of yellow. My TV cord has 7 wires: red, brown, white, green, yellow and 2 blacks.

I still have not found a white wire connected to the frame or skin. The only other black wire I found is in the curbside taillight and it wasn't connected to anything.

You asked if there was a connector on the other end of the umbilical cord. Do you mean is the plug on it that plugs into the TV? No. I have the plug but haven't hooked it up yet.

If you think everything is ready to be hooked together, I will be going to a real town tomorrow and can pick up connectors to hook the TV cord to the trailer cord. But do I need to wait until I get my fuse box for the umbilical cord? I have ordered the fuse boxes that I need but they won't be here until next week.

Just FYI - all my old lady friends are calling me the Meter Maid now. They're impressed with what I've learned from all you guys.

Needless to say, THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brake wire named.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	116791   Click image for larger version

Name:	curb brake wire.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	116792  

Name:	street brake.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	116793   Click image for larger version

Name:	across axle.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	116794  

Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Fuse Box?

What do you mean FUSE BOX for the UCord? The only fuses that should be protecting the UCord wiring are those in your TV and they already exist. But it is an option some people use. But where would you put it since you can't locate the wiring inside the trailer? If you mean for the SHORE POWER cord that's a different thing.

When you get the 2 UCords (trailer and TV) connected together, you should test all of your circuits again before putting the trailer plug on.

On the TV UCord check again closely, I think one of those black wires is really dark blue; strip back the outer sheath on the cord about 1/2" to check this.

I don't think you will need the yellow wire since you don't have backup lights.

Match all the colors of the TV and Trailer UCords and connect them. If in fact one of the blacks is blue it should be used for the brakes. If you don't have a blue; perhaps the 2 blacks are different sizes. If that's the case use the larger of the two for the trailer (battery circuit) and the smaller of the two for the brakes.
Since you can't locate the other end of the white (Ground) wire on the trailer UCord and if your lights don't work when you connect the negative (black) lead of the charger to the white wire on the TV UCord you can simply take the splice apart between the TV and Trailer UCord; connect a #10 guage white wire to the end coming from the TV and attach it to the frame of the trailer. You might even be able to hook it in the same place the brake white wire is connected. Just make sure that you clean up the connection point on the frame.
If you are going to use heat shrink tubing to cover the splice point just double the white and black (brake) wire back on itself so that the end of the wires comes out and can be hooked to the frame and to the blue wire for the brakes. Then slide the heat shrink over it and shrink it down.
When you make your splices strip back just enough insulation to where the bare part of the wire fits inside the metal part of the barrel connector; make sure no part of the bare wire is outside the insulating sleeve on the barrel connector. Once you've made the splice pull on the wire with a moderate amount of force to make sure the splice won't come apart. If it does then redo the splice with a new barrel lug.
If you have not used the crimper for these types of crimp connections, there is a proper way to make up the splice. When you put the crimper over the barrel connector make sure you have it over the metal part; not the plastic part of the connector. Also most crimping tools have 2 different size crimping jaws. the larger one (which is usually closest to the handle) is for the yellow barrel lugs; the smaller jaw is for the blue and/or red connectors.
Did you check to see if the black wire in the trailer UCord might be one of the black wires in this photo? They don't look like 10 guage in the photo. Can you see where else they go? The wire on the right looks like a solid wire to me. Must be part of an old AC circuit. Can you tell what it is for?

Getting back to the black (battery) wire; before you put power to this wire make sure it is not touching the trailer at the other end. Use your meter in the 2K mode, read between the frame of the trailer and the black stub on the trailer UCord. If you get a "0" on the meter, it is clear. Of course this still doesn't solve the problem of where the other end of this wire is inside the trailer.

Let us know before you decide to check out the brakes. you don't want to leave the charger connected too long. If the coils are still good you could damage them if left powered too long.

If you want to protect the brake wiring running below the belly pan just get a stick of 1/2" PVC conduit and attach it to the belly pan and run the brake wire thru it.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Lindy, Lindy, meter maid... sounds like a Beatles song!

That's all really good news on the lights and the wiring! Congrats on getting this far with your project!!

Also good news on the brake wires. All the ones you showed in the pictures look great. Of course, you'll need to figure out if the brakes actually work, but that's a future project...

Quote:
This is what I have coming out of my trailer: red, brown, white, green, black and a tiny little stub of yellow. My TV cord has 7 wires: red, brown, white, green, yellow and 2 blacks.

I still have not found a white wire connected to the frame or skin. The only other black wire I found is in the curbside taillight and it wasn't connected to anything.
The TV cord looks ok, what I can see in the picture anyway. Is the rest of it in good condition too? And it is long enough to reach the TV connector once you're hitched up? If yes, then I think you can install the TV plug on the end of the cord at any time. Since you have 2 black wires, and no blue wire in the cord, you'll need to figure out which black wire at the TV end is the black wire connected to the blue brake wire. You don't want to miss-wire that and end up with +12 volts from the TV connected directly to your brakes. That would not be good.

As far wiring the cord to your trailer, I think we still need to track down the black and white wire that go into the trailer.

Use your multi-meter to verify the white wire is connected to the frame. It should be.

The black wire concerns me though. Since it would be connected to +12 volts coming from your TV, and we don't know where it goes, if you connect it without finding the other end you'll end up with a live 12 volt wire inside the trailer somewhere. Which could easily short out to the skin or the frame and cause problems.

If you can not locate that wire anywhere, then we could simply leave it disconnected and run a new black wire for the +12 volts to the battery and the fuse panel for your 12 volt circuits inside the trailer. That might be your best and safest option.

The yellow wire, which is normally for back-up lights, you can also just leave disconnected. Again, since you do not know where it goes once it's inside the trailer, I'd leave it disconnected from the TV cord completely.

I'm working on a wiring diagram for you, but another commitment this evening will prevent me from finishing it tonight. I'll try and get it to you still this week (if you think you want it).

Chris

Tags
12v