Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

hamilton , Ontario
Question Electrical

Hello can you use the original wiring as a start to run new wiring.Upgrades wanted include solar plus better fans etc.Or should I rewire completely if so does anyone have a diagram of an upgraded system?
techdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
techdog first of all welcome to the foorums from a fellow Canuck and Ontarian.
What year and model trailer are you talking about?
That information will help with the answers you get.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #3

hamilton , Ontario
Hey good day

I have been looking at a 63 Overlander trying to stay at a resonable length.The wiring is shot shorts everywhere.
techdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If it were me, I'd consider replacing everything with new wiring. You can use the old wires to fish through new ones and if you are lucky, they won't break. Some places you wiull have to use a fish and others remove things to get access. After years of bouncing along the road, wires break, insulation degrades and you have shorts.

If you are not knowledgeable about electrical work, get a book and read it until you are sure you know what you are doing. A simple book is Richter: Amazon.com: Wiring Simplified: Based on the 2008 National Electrical Code (9780971977938): H. P. Richter, W. C. Schwan, F. P. Hartwell: Books . It's available in many places and is good on residential wiring, but the principles are the same for 12 v.

You can put in LED bulbs to save on power when boondocking, upgrade to a new and better converter (Iota is said to be the best), better batteries, put in a new fuse and breaker panel.

Make sure to use grommets when wires go through partitions to prevent movement from wearing off insulation.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Techdog I agree with a 63 and if it's full of shorts then rewire it all.
I not sure about the ability to use the old wires to fish new ones. lots of times the wires are taped to the inside of the shell or run behind ribs and you won't be able to pull new wires through. the best way is to pull the skins(inner walls) for proper access. Most of the wires run along the center of the roof and branch down to where ever they need to come out.
By the way I have a 63 overlander here myself. It's aparts trailer, if you need anything let me know.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree with Chris—I should have said you will be very, very lucky if you can use the old wires to fish the new ones. You will probably have to remove the skins. Doesn't sound like fun, but look at what you'll learn.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
I am refurbishing a 62 GT that I bought gutted. The interior skins on mine are great so I have decided not to pull them off & have to re-rivet all just for wiring. Most of the 12 v. is ok but no lights were installed. Plus, I wanted more lights and a couple of 12v outlets & 2 Fantastic fans. The 110 was everywhere & looked poor so I cut them at skin & shoved them into the walls & rewired for the 110 I wanted, which was not much as I don't plan on having an AC unit. But, I do want an outlet for Refrigerator & another 110 outlet for the rare occasions when I am in an RV park or at home & NOT boondocking or in a NF CG. I also needed & installed a new converter to handle it all. Very little of my new wiring is visible & this may be your case, as well, because most of it can be run behind cabinets. The few locations where the wire has to run on the surface of the interior skin, I have used a flexible plastic cable raceway from Home Depot to hide it. If you wish, I can upload a photo or 2 tomorrow.

-Judy
Old 07-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Techdog welcome to the forums. We're neighbours!!
I agree with Wasagachris . It would probably be easier just to pull the inside panels off and rewire. It's a tedious job ,but well worth it!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote