Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Electric working with battery not with 110

Getting ready to go on a 2 week trip and discovered 110 does not appear to be working. Plugged into 110, blue light on airstream at plug indicates power to trailer, but no lights working. All lights / systems work on battery. Fuses test good, GFCI breaker test does not work. Appears no power to breakers or GGCI is bad.
If GFCI breaker is bad could this cause loss of power to all other circuit? Can I replace breakers myself? Any help is appreciated.
Dennis

Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Welcome to the Forums. You will likely find more help if you will tell us the year, model, etc of Airstream you are posting about.

Good luck - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Thanks, Pat. We have a 2010 Flying Cloud 23FB.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Twinkie,

No. All 12v works off the battery. Nothing works off 120v.
120 system worked fine, was plugged into 120v outlet in storage, switch to battery was in "store" mode. I don't know if a surge hit the trailer but we had lightning storm since I last checked the trailer.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Buy a Non Contact Voltage Detector Tester Pen Stick. They're about $10 at home center. Now just test the 120 volt cords and wires and determine where the power quits. That'll be the problem location.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Thanks, Splitrock.
Unless someone can say otherwise I believe the 120 power input at the side of the trailer goes directly to the converter where the breakers are. I interpret from your response I need to check the input (I think is good) then the input to the converter and each of the breakers, though i don't know how to check the breakers.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
My 120 volt goes to a breaker (fuse) box and then to converter. My trailer is an antique. Your owner's manual should tell you. I bet you'll find reset breakers.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Check Circuit Breakers

All the 120 volts circuits in your trailer are protected with circuit breakers including one that feeds power to the converter. Your panel may have a MAIN breaker. It supplies the power to all other breakers. If you find that one is tripped, you must switch it to the OFF position, then to the ON position. It will not reset otherwise. Most modern breakers have some kind of indicator (red window) or something similar to show they are tripped. I would say if the "test" function doesn't work on the GFI it is either already tripped and hasn't been reset or it is bad.
If you did have a lightning storm, at least remove the cover on the main panel and check for evidence of scorched wiring. Be sure to unplug the trailer before removing the cover.
If a breaker is tripped and will not reset; further investigation may be required. If you have no power to any circuits my guess would be the MAIN is tripped. If it is a GFI, the lightning surge could have damaged it.
You can replace the breaker yourself. You need to get an exact match for the breaker you are replacing. Pay close attention as to how the old breaker is wired, then put the new one in the same. Most panels have the breaker type needed listed on the label. If not there the info is usually on the side of the breaker itself.
BE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE POWER IS DISCONNECTED AND THAT IT CAN NOT BE TURNED ON WHILE YOU ARE WORKING ON IT.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i think the gfci will not 'test' if there is no power to it. someone please chime in if that's not correct.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i think the gfci will not 'test' if there is no power to it. someone please chime in if that's not correct.
It will test hot or dead with a Non Contact Voltage Detector Tester. If it's hot it can be reset and then tested with a plug in tester. If it's dead . . . it thinks it's on the shelf in the store.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I agree that we might get lucky with the breakers - be sure to turn off the main and the others as well. Then turn the main on. Then try the others. IF we're lucky, the main tripped and now we're good again.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Must be main tripping

Thanks to all who responded. I was out for 2 weeks and have decided to take the trailer into an Airstream rep for evaluation.

When I last left I reset all the breakers. No power to GFCI as it would not trip when pressed.

This weekend I plugged in trailer to 120V at my house and electrical system worked (again)for a while. While running fantastic fans the power cut off. I reset all breakers, including the main, and no power to GFCI. I reset breakers again and unplugged 120V power supply. Waited one hour, then reset breakers again.

I looked behind main panel and saw no indication of burned wires as suggested might have occurred with power surge / lightening damage.

I plugged in 120V again and electrical system worked. I checked GFCI and it tripped when pressed. I assume this means GFCI is working when power is supplied to it.

I can only think that the main breaker is tripping without moving ( i could not tell it had moved toward the tripped position) and takes some time to reset.
Decided to take her in to have a professional look at it.

Thank you sincerely to all of you who responded to my plea for help. I will post the evalution of the professional opinion when completed.

Dennis