Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
Now that I look at the pic on the desktop rather than my iPod, I can see the metal cover. Hopefully it is just a bad connection job. If not, further investigation with the cover removed may be necessary. But removing the cover may void the warrantee. Let us know what happens.
__________________

__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
hey twink, would a bad negative wire to the ground (trailer frame) do the same thing?
__________________

__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
Yes. Did you find something not making good contact? Was the connection good at the converter?
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Splitrock's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,398
Blog Entries: 20
Note to self . . . buy a 12 volt jumper test light, a small 12 volt battery charger, a small multi-meter, and a 120 volt no-contact voltage tester.
__________________
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
The list above is something every trailer owner should carry along with a basic set of tools. Screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, fuses, electrical tape and the list goes on.
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
 
Jesse Lee's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 24
Mpls , Minnesota
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Yes. Did you find something not making good contact? Was the connection good at the converter?
Well, I do have a conclusion to this post from way back. It was not the connection to the converter or at least I don't believe it was.

I called the dealership that sold the intelepower converter. They tested the converter and it had indeed failed. They issued me a new one and sent my failed converter back to the manufacturer. I installed the new one, being very mindful of not to under or over tighten and all was right with the world, everything electric worked.

Now fast forward to this years camping season.

I fired everything up, everything was working and then, bam, everything went dark again. This time no grounding issue or nothing caused the outage. It just went dark. So, I did what I knew how to do at that point of frustration, I panicked.

I could not understand why this would go out again. I checked every connection. Re tightened and cleaned all my connections to the converter and began to dig for more wire endings. I then noticed one main set of wires going back to the bumper. I went outside to access the bumper hatch and to inspect the 30 amp plug outside. It all seemed fine. Then I saw some strange bolt connected to the outside of the bumper. I pushed on it with my finger and heard a faint snapping sound. I did it again, and to my complete and utter amazement the thing lite up like a Metallica concert! IT WAS A FAULTY BUMPER GROUND the whole time! I was clueless about this wire ending. Never read a stitch about it in the forums. Could not believe I cracked the code and it all had to do with a hidden ground wire in the bumper. Are all Airstreams and Argosy's grounded this way? Pretty cool to discover this on my own. A personal Argosy success story I completely forgot to post and share. Thanks for all the help

Karl (using the account my wife Jess Lee set up for us)
__________________
Jesse Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,934
Images: 2
Yup chassis ground for 12VDC system.
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
SilverGate's Avatar

 
2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,490
Main frame ground wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Lee View Post
Well, I do have a conclusion to this post from way back. It was not the connection to the converter or at least I don't believe it was.

I called the dealership that sold the intelepower converter. They tested the converter and it had indeed failed. They issued me a new one and sent my failed converter back to the manufacturer. I installed the new one, being very mindful of not to under or over tighten and all was right with the world, everything electric worked.

Now fast forward to this years camping season.

I fired everything up, everything was working and then, bam, everything went dark again. This time no grounding issue or nothing caused the outage. It just went dark. So, I did what I knew how to do at that point of frustration, I panicked.

I could not understand why this would go out again. I checked every connection. Re tightened and cleaned all my connections to the converter and began to dig for more wire endings. I then noticed one main set of wires going back to the bumper. I went outside to access the bumper hatch and to inspect the 30 amp plug outside. It all seemed fine. Then I saw some strange bolt connected to the outside of the bumper. I pushed on it with my finger and heard a faint snapping sound. I did it again, and to my complete and utter amazement the thing lite up like a Metallica concert! IT WAS A FAULTY BUMPER GROUND the whole time! I was clueless about this wire ending. Never read a stitch about it in the forums. Could not believe I cracked the code and it all had to do with a hidden ground wire in the bumper. Are all Airstreams and Argosy's grounded this way? Pretty cool to discover this on my own. A personal Argosy success story I completely forgot to post and share. Thanks for all the help

Karl (using the account my wife Jess Lee set up for us)
Below is a photo of the main frame 12 volt ground wire on my 2007 Safari, which is located on the main frame in the front streetside near the spare tire. If you have electrical problems, for example flickering lights, or intermittent electrical problems, you might like to check this ground connection. It sometimes becomes loose or gets corroded. Unscrew the connection and brush the wire until it is shiny and reconnect.

Additional information with another photo of the main frame ground connection:

"Grease is the word"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0129 Main frame ground wire.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	193642  
__________________
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Splitrock's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,398
Blog Entries: 20
Why are there 2 wires? Do they serve different components?
__________________
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
SilverGate's Avatar

 
2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Why are there 2 wires? Do they serve different components?
I'm not sure, but perhaps the second wire is the ground wire from the Ground Buss of my Airstream Factory installed solar power system. Click several times to see an enlargement of this schematic from my Owners Manual.
__________________
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Splitrock's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,398
Blog Entries: 20
Oh, I see, One is the battery and one is the solar system. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.