Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Babbit , California
Electric hitch jack malfunctioning in the rain

Hi all, the hitch jack on my 20' 2010 flying cloud retracted by itself this morning. Twice. It's raining so I believe there may be an electrical problem due to moisture. I dried off the top and seams as best I could and put a plastic bag over top just in case. It has not retracted again over the last hour.

Suggestions? I attempted to disconnect the relevant fuse (owner's manual said cir 6), but that appears to not impact the jack.

I am parked up an incline (back higher than front). Should I retract the stabilizers just in case this happens again? How bad is it for the fridge to be on an incline if the jack retracts again while I am out? Wheels are chocked so at least the trailer shouldn't roll away.
monkeydance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Electric hitch jack malfunctioning in the rain

The fuse on my jack is on the outside, a wire hanging off the back has a fuse cap in it. You could set it in place and disconnect that external fuse and it should hold. But you'll need to repair it eventually... Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydance View Post
Hi all, the hitch jack on my 20' 2010 flying cloud retracted by itself this morning. Twice. It's raining so I believe there may be an electrical problem due to moisture. I dried off the top and seams as best I could and put a plastic bag over top just in case. It has not retracted again over the last hour.

Suggestions? I attempted to disconnect the relevant fuse (owner's manual said cir 6), but that appears to not impact the jack.

I am parked up an incline (back higher than front). Should I retract the stabilizers just in case this happens again? How bad is it for the fridge to be on an incline if the jack retracts again while I am out? Wheels are chocked so at least the trailer shouldn't roll away.
This little yellow connector is actually a fuse holder for the jack on our Bambi.
You might find that it was spray painted when your Airstream was built but I'd wager it is there. If you separate it you will find the fuse inside and then you can disable the jack.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	271292  
Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Generally when a jack self lowers the inerworking of the jack post has failed. If it were an electrical problem, and I doubt it, you would here the motor turning.

You may be able to use the motor to jack the trailer up and place blocks under the tongue but don't trust the jack till it is fixed.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Rain water is not generally electrically conductive and it is highly unlikely that rain is shorting out a 12 volt circuit. Did you hear the motor running when it retracted? Maybe the switch is broken inside, does it feel normal when you move it? Good idea to block the tongue up until the problem can be fixed.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:19 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Babbit , California
The jack made all the sounds it normally does when retracting. This happened once before, but I was on level ground with the air on, so didn't hear or notice it happening, and so wasn't sure it had actually retracted itself. It was raining then, too.
monkeydance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Classy Roscoe

Monkeydance,

In laundering our 28' Cloud I noticed a considerable amount of water entering the top of electric jack switch compartment.

If you have the same jack and have lived in an area with high salt our industrial activity it IS very possible that water ingress has entered into the switch body and caused corruption of the switch contacts inside the switch body.

This corruption CAN cause sufficent "bridging" of the switch contacts when enough moisture is present and in effect pass enough current to cause the motor to run and by chance lower the jack.

Water itself may not be sufficent to conduct enough current to run the motor, but that along with corruption of the contacts inside the switch, that sure can.

Change the switch and dispatch the problem. Be sure to buy a small can of electrical LPS branded water blocking spray.

Spray the inside of the switch housing where the switches are located to coat the switch body and the contacts and I bet it will solve the problem. I will post you the exact material in a bit.

Replacing the entire jack is an expensive solution and IMO is unnecessary.

Best regards.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #8
Classy Roscoe

Greaseless Lubricant, Aerosol Can, 11 oz.
LPS #00116
Displaces moisture, lubricates and protects electrical components. Does not attract dirt or mold.

Used in place of silicone that will attract water
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We use an old boat fender to protect our Atwood electric tongue jack. See link for more info:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...ml#post1782162
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote