Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Elec. problems with my 65 Caravel

Having problems with my 1965 Caravel turn signal, brake lights, running lights,emergency lights. I have a 2006 Envoy for a T.V., with a prodigy brake controller, everything has been working perfect, the brake lights worked, turn signals worked, the emergency light worked, until I came home from Camping World, where they installed roof air for me, I watched the installation, and they did a perfect job, didn't touch any of the wires pertaining to my problem, any suggesting?
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
start at your plug, disassemble check, clean. while you have it apart you can back feed your lights from the charge line and test each circuit. a jumper wire with alligator clips is handy for this.

just don't touch the ground wire and hot lead together! blue is usually hot and white is ground.

john
Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
start at your plug, disassemble check, clean. while you have it apart you can back feed your lights from the charge line and test each circuit. a jumper wire with alligator clips is handy for this.

just don't touch the ground wire and hot lead together! blue is usually hot and white is ground.

john
Your talking about the 7 pin plug, it can be disassemled right at the end? The end that goes into the the belly pan is a wiring mess, I think that the pervious owner installed a new seven pin cord last fall. When I disconnect the shore power cord and switch to battery power all running light and all 4 bulbs in the rear come on, that tells me that I'm geeting power to the back.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
Your talking about the 7 pin plug, it can be disassemled right at the end? The end that goes into the the belly pan is a wiring mess, I think that the pervious owner installed a new seven pin cord last fall. When I disconnect the shore power cord and switch to battery power all running light and all 4 bulbs in the rear come on, that tells me that I'm geeting power to the back.
yes i was talking about the 7 pin plug, that is assuming it can be taken apart and is not one piece molded rubber.

however if your lights come on when you switch to battery on the outside you have an entirely different problem.

most likely in the above mentioned rats nest!

do you own a volt meter and or a test light?

john
Old 07-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
yes i was talking about the 7 pin plug, that is assuming it can be taken apart and is not one piece molded rubber.

however if your lights come on when you switch to battery on the outside you have an entirely different problem.

most likely in the above mentioned rats nest!

do you own a volt meter and or a test light?

john
My seven pin is molded, yes, I think I have a rats nest that need to be cleaned up, I'm thinking about taking to Camping World and have a major update, what are your thoughts on that?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
When I disconnect the shore power cord and switch to battery power all running light and all 4 bulbs in the rear come on,
Hey toastie,

Are the lights coming on without turning on the T/V headlights or stepping on the brakes?

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
if it was working ok and then it changed my guess is that it is something minor like a frayed wire or something touching in the rats nest.

john
Old 07-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
Hey toastie,

Are the lights coming on without turning on the T/V headlights or stepping on the brakes?

Mark
The right light is not working at all, at one time the left light was on and when the brake was applied the left light went off. Like I said before ,when I go to battey and off shore power all light in the back come on.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
The right light is not working at all, at one time the left light was on and when the brake was applied the left light went off. Like I said before ,when I go to battey and off shore power all light in the back come on.
When the lights come on in the back ( on shore power ) do thay look extra bright?
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
When the lights come on in the back ( on shore power ) do thay look extra bright?
When I go back to shore power, the right side doesn't work at all, the left does, the left turn signal will works and the emergency work, as far as extra bright I didn't notice.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
If the lights are coming on without any input from the tow vehicle,i.e. stepping on the brakes or turning the headlights on, and everything was OK prior to the A/C installation. I agree with John that there is a short in the trailer wiring. Try to seperate the wires in the "rat's nest" so they don't touch each other and check if that works.

Mark
Old 07-31-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
If the lights are coming on without any input from the tow vehicle,i.e. stepping on the brakes or turning the headlights on, and everything was OK prior to the A/C installation. I agree with John that there is a short in the trailer wiring. Try to seperate the wires in the "rat's nest" so they don't touch each other and check if that works.

Mark
Mark, I took a look at the rat nest (at the end of the 7 plug wire) and it is a mess, and also the wiring at the shore power is a mess, my question, would it be better to let Camping World mondernize the system.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
not yet, it may look like a box of worms but it still may be something simple.

i doubt camping world would have experiance to trouble shoot a vintage trailer without costing a ton of money and hacking it up.

back to my original question, got a voltmeter?

there are plenty of good folks here that will help you work through this!

john
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

i doubt camping world would have experiance to trouble shoot a vintage trailer without costing a ton of money and hacking it up.

john
No, I don't don't have a voltmeter, will look for one tomorrow; thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
get a inexpensive one that has a ohm meter function. commonly called a VOM or volt ohm meter.

harbor freight or radio shack are a couple of places to look.

report back and we can help you from there...

also got a digital camera? or can borrow one? that might help speed things up some!

john
Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Mark, I took a look at the rat nest (at the end of the 7 plug wire) and it is a mess, and also the wiring at the shore power is a mess, my question, would it be better to let Camping World mondernize the system.
toastie,

Diagnosing can be tricky if you are not handy with a multimeter and test probe and is even harder to do online. Sometimes just moving the wires will help isolate the offending wire for a quick repair. I'd suggest that you find the cause of this problem before you update the whole system, seeing that everything worked prior to the A/C installation. Go back to Camping World and let them check it out. Who knows,they might have caused the problem and fix it for free.
Best of Luck, and keep us posted.

Mark
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
mark

good suggestion.

i cannot agree more, however with a couple of checks at the ends of his umbilical cord he can rule out a lot of stuff.

if it is not a touching component in the junction box my next best guess is a bad ground.

more info is needed!

john
Old 07-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
get a inexpensive one that has a ohm meter function. commonly called a VOM or volt ohm meter.

harbor freight or radio shack are a couple of places to look.

report back and we can help you from there...

also got a digital camera? or can borrow one? that might help speed things up some!

john
Thanks, sounds great, I'm not an electical person, but I will give it a try, will snap a few pic's of the rat nest tomorrow.....
Old 08-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

john
John HD
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

john
John HD, I did get a voltmeter today, I started in the back, I have attached 4 pictures, 2 out and 2 inside. The left side that works is green, red, and black wire, the right side, the side that doesn't work, is green, brown, and black wire, I went inside and look under the sink, these 2 picture show a splice,
the red, black, green and brown wires go to the back lights, notice the black to black, red to red, green to green, ???white to brown???go to the front, also notice that the white wire is frayed for about 2 inches and rusty. What is your thoughts? I plan to continue to the front, I gutted the inside and took pictures during the restoration of toastie and of said wires, to shore power and out to the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7113.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	24129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7115.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24130  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7149.JPG