Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,459
Elec. problems with my 65 Caravel

Having problems with my 1965 Caravel turn signal, brake lights, running lights,emergency lights. I have a 2006 Envoy for a T.V., with a prodigy brake controller, everything has been working perfect, the brake lights worked, turn signals worked, the emergency light worked, until I came home from Camping World, where they installed roof air for me, I watched the installation, and they did a perfect job, didn't touch any of the wires pertaining to my problem, any suggesting?
__________________

__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Retired Moderator
 
john hd's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,644
Images: 40
start at your plug, disassemble check, clean. while you have it apart you can back feed your lights from the charge line and test each circuit. a jumper wire with alligator clips is handy for this.

just don't touch the ground wire and hot lead together! blue is usually hot and white is ground.

john
__________________

__________________
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
start at your plug, disassemble check, clean. while you have it apart you can back feed your lights from the charge line and test each circuit. a jumper wire with alligator clips is handy for this.

just don't touch the ground wire and hot lead together! blue is usually hot and white is ground.

john
Your talking about the 7 pin plug, it can be disassemled right at the end? The end that goes into the the belly pan is a wiring mess, I think that the pervious owner installed a new seven pin cord last fall. When I disconnect the shore power cord and switch to battery power all running light and all 4 bulbs in the rear come on, that tells me that I'm geeting power to the back.
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Retired Moderator
 
john hd's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,644
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
Your talking about the 7 pin plug, it can be disassemled right at the end? The end that goes into the the belly pan is a wiring mess, I think that the pervious owner installed a new seven pin cord last fall. When I disconnect the shore power cord and switch to battery power all running light and all 4 bulbs in the rear come on, that tells me that I'm geeting power to the back.
yes i was talking about the 7 pin plug, that is assuming it can be taken apart and is not one piece molded rubber.

however if your lights come on when you switch to battery on the outside you have an entirely different problem.

most likely in the above mentioned rats nest!

do you own a volt meter and or a test light?

john
__________________
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
yes i was talking about the 7 pin plug, that is assuming it can be taken apart and is not one piece molded rubber.

however if your lights come on when you switch to battery on the outside you have an entirely different problem.

most likely in the above mentioned rats nest!

do you own a volt meter and or a test light?

john
My seven pin is molded, yes, I think I have a rats nest that need to be cleaned up, I'm thinking about taking to Camping World and have a major update, what are your thoughts on that?
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
S C Streamer's Avatar
 
1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 319
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
When I disconnect the shore power cord and switch to battery power all running light and all 4 bulbs in the rear come on,
Hey toastie,

Are the lights coming on without turning on the T/V headlights or stepping on the brakes?

Mark
__________________
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Retired Moderator
 
john hd's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,644
Images: 40
if it was working ok and then it changed my guess is that it is something minor like a frayed wire or something touching in the rats nest.

john
__________________
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
Hey toastie,

Are the lights coming on without turning on the T/V headlights or stepping on the brakes?

Mark
The right light is not working at all, at one time the left light was on and when the brake was applied the left light went off. Like I said before ,when I go to battey and off shore power all light in the back come on.
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
The right light is not working at all, at one time the left light was on and when the brake was applied the left light went off. Like I said before ,when I go to battey and off shore power all light in the back come on.
When the lights come on in the back ( on shore power ) do thay look extra bright?
__________________
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
When the lights come on in the back ( on shore power ) do thay look extra bright?
When I go back to shore power, the right side doesn't work at all, the left does, the left turn signal will works and the emergency work, as far as extra bright I didn't notice.
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
S C Streamer's Avatar
 
1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 319
Images: 13
If the lights are coming on without any input from the tow vehicle,i.e. stepping on the brakes or turning the headlights on, and everything was OK prior to the A/C installation. I agree with John that there is a short in the trailer wiring. Try to seperate the wires in the "rat's nest" so they don't touch each other and check if that works.


Mark
__________________
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
If the lights are coming on without any input from the tow vehicle,i.e. stepping on the brakes or turning the headlights on, and everything was OK prior to the A/C installation. I agree with John that there is a short in the trailer wiring. Try to seperate the wires in the "rat's nest" so they don't touch each other and check if that works.


Mark
Mark, I took a look at the rat nest (at the end of the 7 plug wire) and it is a mess, and also the wiring at the shore power is a mess, my question, would it be better to let Camping World mondernize the system.
__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
Retired Moderator
 
john hd's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,644
Images: 40
not yet, it may look like a box of worms but it still may be something simple.

i doubt camping world would have experiance to trouble shoot a vintage trailer without costing a ton of money and hacking it up.

back to my original question, got a voltmeter?

there are plenty of good folks here that will help you work through this!

john
__________________
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
toastie's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
not yet, it may look like a box of worms but it still may be something simple.

i doubt camping world would have experiance to trouble shoot a vintage trailer without costing a ton of money and hacking it up.

back to my original question, got a voltmeter?

there are plenty of good folks here that will help you work through this!

john
No, I don't don't have a voltmeter, will look for one tomorrow; thanks
__________________

__________________
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
caravel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another Caravel owner davidw 1966-68 Caravel 46 02-03-2005 07:53 PM
Restoration of our Airstreamer Caravel Hagen 1965 Caravel 2 11-10-2002 03:15 AM
Caravel windows susan martin 1966-68 Caravel 1 08-21-2002 09:43 AM
testing the elec brakes? Rog0525 Brakes & Brake Controllers 3 06-11-2002 04:02 PM
Bambi II is a Caravel... VintageRV 1964 Bambi II 0 02-24-2002 08:55 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.