Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Toast, can you get it to the rally? I can help with my experience Saturday. Lou really knows his stuff too.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Toast, can you get it to the rally? I can help with my experience Saturday. Lou really knows his stuff too.
Thanks John, yes we will be there, can't miss our first Rally
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
toast

that white wire that looks corroded in the bottom is a good place to start. it is a ground wire.

cut the connector out with a snips and remove the corroded section. then strip the wire and reconnect it. use a blue barreled connection or a wire nut in a pinch.

then hook it up to your tow vehicle and give it a try.

report back!

john
Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I beleive that the wiring for the rear running lights goes down the ceiling right next to that new A/C . If you can , get it back to CW to see if they disturbed something in that area. The A/C has a 12v or 24v thermostat that could be tied in somehow . It seems you're getting 12v from somewhere when not hooked to the TV.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
I beleive that the wiring for the rear running lights goes down the ceiling right next to that new A/C . If you can , get it back to CW to see if they disturbed something in that area. The A/C has a 12v or 24v thermostat that could be tied in somehow . It seems you're getting 12v from somewhere when not hooked to the TV.
The new A/C only low, medium, and high, no thermostat
Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Ac Pictures

toastie,

Sorry about the wiring problem, and I hate to HIJACK the thread but if you could post some pics of the AC install and post the AC model you bought I would appreciate it. I am on the cusp of going to CW and having them do the same work.

Good luck with the wiring - been there / done that.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
ticke, all running light work, I can autual follow the wire from the tail light to the front, and the wire doesn't run overhead, thanks very much for you input.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
toastie,

hit the chat room, we can discuss this real time if you like.

john
Old 08-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
toastie,

hit the chat room, we can discuss this real time if you like.

john
Sorry that I missed you, wife had a flat tire, will take the bad piece out and make repair as described, I will also post somemore pic's following the wire to shore power, then shore power to the rat nest, I still think that is where the problem is.

Also with the new A/C I need tp replace power cord to 30 amp end, I bought a 50' cord from Lowes, rating was 10/3 wire, but the cheap end started to melt, paid $50 for the cord, they will be hearing from me on this one, my friend gave me a 30 amp cord.

Thanks very much for your tiime.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
toast

that white wire that looks corroded in the bottom is a good place to start. it is a ground wire.

cut the connector out with a snips and remove the corroded section. then strip the wire and reconnect it. use a blue barreled connection or a wire nut in a pinch.

then hook it up to your tow vehicle and give it a try.

report back!

john
I removed the corroded white section and wired it back to the brown wire (brown to white),
hook up the T.V. and still no right turn or brake, I went to the rat nest up front and took a 2 pictures of the wire hook-up to the Bargman, pic one shows green to green ( the other green wire must be to the running lights) red to red, brown to white, but notice that the black wire goes to nothing, according to the bargman wiring diagram, the black wire is to battery charge, where should the black wire go?, the pervious owner installed a break away and the black from the bargman wire goes there, I also noticed a yellow wire go to nothing to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7159.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	24191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7164.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24192  

Old 08-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #31
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ok here is where the volt meter comes in handy.

with a helper you need to verify each function at the rats nest.

get your tow vehicle connected an verify that you have 12 volts at each of the wire nuts you pictured for each function.

get under there with the running lights on. find the green wire and see if it has 12 volts. connect your voltmeter between the wire nut and the chassis of the trailer. you can uncap it or just slide the probe into the back of the wire nut.

next have your helper step on the brakes and see if you see 12 volts on the red and brown wires. these are the stop for right and left lamps.

next you can see if you have voltage to each by trying the flasher on each. you should see 12 volts pulsing on the red (left) and brown (right)

check this and report back... btw, the unused yellow wire should be the reverse lights.

refer to this site for color codes http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

john
Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
ok here is where the volt meter comes in handy.

with a helper you need to verify each function at the rats nest.

get your tow vehicle connected an verify that you have 12 volts at each of the wire nuts you pictured for each function.

get under there with the running lights on. find the green wire and see if it has 12 volts. connect your voltmeter between the wire nut and the chassis of the trailer. you can uncap it or just slide the probe into the back of the wire nut.

next have your helper step on the brakes and see if you see 12 volts on the red and brown wires. these are the stop for right and left lamps.

next you can see if you have voltage to each by trying the flasher on each. you should see 12 volts pulsing on the red (left) and brown (right)

check this and report back... btw, the unused yellow wire should be the reverse lights.

refer to this site for color codes http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

john
Thanks, should that black wire that doesn't have a home go to the black wire of the bargman.

Also I replaced my old shore power cord to 30 amp I was surprised that the old cord used aluminum wires, ran the new A/C all afternoon and the cord remained very cool.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #33
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
yes it may very well go there.

when you check the others for voltage see if the capped one has 12 volts. it should if it is connected to the battery in the trailer.

if it does i would say you can connect it to the black wire.

john
Old 08-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
yes it may very well go there.

when you check the others for voltage see if the capped one has 12 volts. it should if it is connected to the battery in the trailer.

if it does i would say you can connect it to the black wire.

john
John HD

I followed the wires from back to front and replaced the bad frayed wire as decribed, and still no right turn or brake signal, I look at the rest of the wire from rear to front and noticed some more frayed wires, so I ripped out all wires from back to the Bargman cable, opened up the sheathing, and what a mess, all wires, red, brown and green where frayed, in some cases bare wires touching bare wires. I replaced with new wiring, first, I installed the new wires to the Bargman and I had enough wire to run the other end to the front before hooking up to the back, I took my volt meter, checked the green wire and had 12v, check the red wire, 12v, checked the brown wire (right signal and brake) and no volts, which lead me to believe that I have a bad Bargman cable.

The black wire, I ran from the Bargaman to the battery.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #35
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
toastie

time to start over! if you had frayed wires that you have now replaced my bet is that you have blown a fuse in the tow vehicle.

recheck that you have all circuits functioning at the socket on your tow vehicle and we can go from there!

you are getting closer!

john
Old 08-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
toastie

time to start over! if you had frayed wires that you have now replaced my bet is that you have blown a fuse in the tow vehicle.

recheck that you have all circuits functioning at the socket on your tow vehicle and we can go from there!

you are getting closer!

john
Bingo!!!!!!I checked the Envoy fuse number 51 (right turn signal and brake) and it was blown........thanks very much John HD for your help and time......

Tags
caravel