Hey, Uwe, do you use cellular?

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 08:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Uwe,
Your breaker box is just a little different from mine but the picture was easy to decipher. I will try to post a picture in a minute or two. The black wire going from pole to pole in your picture is not the wire I disconnected. I do have that one and it has not been disturbed.

John, I ran my power cord plug through the vacuum cleaner port in the bathroom and checked main breaker black wire to the black wire of my 30 amp plug. It shows continuity and a reading of .018. Nothing from black across to neutral or ground. I check for continuity in the neutral line, found no problem with a reading of .004 and no alarm across to black or ground. Ground checked out and no alarm across to black or white.

Something seems strange here though. If I am looking at the back of the 30 amp plug as if I was going to plug it in, the ground pole is at the top but which blade is the black or hot, right or left?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 08:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Breaker box

Here is the breaker box. You can see the black wire that I disconnected from the neutral side. I took this picture before disconnecting from the ground side and removing entirely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-641f.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	405  

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-10-2002, 09:15 PM   #32
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
craig,

top is ground

left is hot

right is neutral

this looking at the back of the plug as if you were about to plug it in.

john
Old 08-10-2002, 09:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
John,
That checks out as far as the left black, right white/neutral and top green at the plug. What do you think about the test results from plug to breaker box wires?

Also, I noticed that in one of my previous posts I said that I changed out the breaker box and it should have read that I changed out the 30 amp main breaker. The box has not been tampered with. I do not have an oven/AC throw over switch that I know of.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-10-2002, 09:37 PM   #34
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
craig

your tests would seem to confirm that your cord is ok

your photo of the box looks like every thing is in order.

i looked in my manual today and it shows no jumper wire between the neut. and ground blocks in both the usa and canadian models. so that means the information i gave you was wrong. at the power comany we ground the neutral every chance we get. however, in your trailer you do not want the ground wire carrying any current because this will trip a gfi.

one other place to look for a problem would be your neutral block, look very carefully for an extra screw that would go thru the block and screw into the box itself this is done in some locations per code in some areas. you do not want this in your application.

the other way you can confirm the neutral block isn't grounded is to remove all wires from it and check it with your ohmmeter to the ground block.

john
Old 08-10-2002, 09:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
John, I'll check the neutral block tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to juggle activities with some friends in Nashville, 70 miles away, with my garden (which is producing like crazy), my kids and last is the wife who has been raising her eyebrow at me for 2 days now. Don't worry about jumper from ground to neutral. I understand what you were worried about. I wonder if one of the guys at the campground did run a jumper to override the campground nofault system and forgot to take it out. He is an electrician with a factory and maybe he was thinking the same thing. I am still going to keep checking the system to make sure that everything looks good before I start to turn on any of the appliances. I was running a large fan I brought inside the trailer off the house then switched to an interior plug after the breaker in the garage quit tripping. It ran for 45 minutes with no problem.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-10-2002, 10:04 PM   #36
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
craig

i know where your coming from, i've got more tomatoes than i know what to do with.

let me know if the neutral block is isolated from the box.

john
Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
Davidz,
Guessing at the problem without 'seeing ' it can be hazardous. Just a thought: The ground fault breaker in your house is designed to protect against leakage current to ground. It accomplishes this by comparing the current going out the hot leg with the current returning in the 'neutral leg. If there is even a .001 amp difference, most GFCI's will trip. With your neutral leg grounded inside the trailer, you are introducing a ground fault condition, which is causing the GFCI to trip as it should. ( GFCI's will trip even with the power leg disconnected if the neutral wire becomes grounded.)

The connection between your neutral and ground may be correct, but you should connect to a standard circuit and not a GFCI protected circuit. Also, when using extension cords or cables, the wire AWG size should be adequate for your rig. The 30 amps should be on # 10 AWG size wire, and if it is very long, you may even want to increase the wire size to #8 AWG. What happens with smaller wire is that you introduce a voltage drop and the result can be a burned up motor (AC compressor, blower or even an electric drill!).

Good luck with your problem, and I hope this helped a little!
Calvin
Old 08-18-2004, 07:54 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

From what I have gathered at this sight and my electrical back ground You DO NOT WANT the neutral and the ground bonded together in Your trailer , home wiring is different.. That in effect could cause the trailer body to become energized under the right condition. John H D I'm guessing you work at a electric utility , look at the warnings on the line trucks about them becoming a shock hazard to people on the ground. When I worked for a public utility co. we had a demonstration device for children that would energize a toy line truck as if a power line had fallen on it(240vac) and we had a metal man attached to a non conductive handle and as we moved him toward the truck we could jump sparks about an inch. Everyone is correct about the jumper that you removed causing the GFI to trip. The proceed carefull and check shorts grounds ect has been good so far I guess I should read a Few more times before I take a stab at more on-line advice. And my electric credentials in case You all are wondering I work as a industrial electrician at a steel mill and handle 1 volt thru 13,800volts State certified Journeyman.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:45 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm thinking it's a GFIC deal where you have leakage between ground and comon.

Start finding stuff with transformers and disconnecting them . Battery charger would be my first suspected item because it is going to to have the potential of bleed back through the system so even if the hot wire is disconnected it might have power from tha battery causing the trip on the ground and common and side everything grounds to the body it would still be connected till you undo the gorund or comom in line with the GFIC.

I had a 60's flourecent light that had issue with it's balast that would trip a GFIC I installed when updating my grandmothers finish basement. That would be the next place I would check is any florecent lighting in the coach that was 12v as well as 110 because if it's dumping anything back to ground it will trip the GFIC every time.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:01 AM   #40
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Bad Juju

Ground and Netral should NOT be bonded in a trailer or camper.

I recently built a trailer for the government that involved installing a generator. There were instructions that clearly said, "DO NOT bond neutral to ground!".

Lift the jumper and see if your "fault" clears.
Smily
Old 08-18-2004, 09:15 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm
explanation of gfci and stuff
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
Old 08-18-2004, 09:27 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

http://repair.usenews.org/group/alt....ge-313353.html
black and white description of why NOT to bond neutral and ground in trailer

S/OS #010